Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-23-2020, 02:21 PM   #46
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The fact that Qt gave it Priority P1 (release stopper) did not mean anything to Ubuntu?
The fact that it will hit any app that does live webpage editing? The fact that it can lead to lost source text? The fact it is one-line fix fix?

Wow, Ubuntu really needs to revamp its QA process!
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:32 PM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Silliness. But if it gets the upstream patch incorporated, it will have been worth it. Who knows how long (if ever) it might take this Ubuntu LTS release to update to Qt5.12.10. If there even WILL be a 5.12.10 to upgrade to!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just got the notification that the fix for the ubuntu 5.12.8 webengine package has been uploaded and is awaiting review. Baby steps forward!

The irony is that backporting Qt's upstream Priority 1 fix for live editing is only a medium priority issue for Ubuntu.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #49
Der_Andi
Der_Andi began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino
It's hard if you have a problem and recognise that it seems, that you are the only one worldwide. I never believed that a solution will be found so fast. I'll try this evening and then report. Thank you very much for your very fast, good and friendly help!
Der_Andi
Der_Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #50
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The fix is not in Ubuntu's repositories just yet. But it IS being worked on. I'll post here whenever the package update is officially available through the normal apt-get channels.

The status was changed to "In Progress" by the guy who maintains Sigil for Ubuntu/Debian, so I have high hopes that it won't languish in the queues long.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:14 AM   #51
Der_Andi
Der_Andi began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino
'til now nothing happens :-(
Der_Andi
Der_Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:12 AM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Yep. Still "In Progress" in Ubuntu's work queue. I will receive an email when/if that status changes (and will post an update here).
Old 07-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #53
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Status updated to "Fix Commited".
Which will move it to the Ubuntu Focal -proposed updates repository (after it's built).

Quote:
The updated package will be released to -updates after the bug(s)
fixed by this package have been verified and the package has been in
-proposed for a minimum of 7 days.
I'm off to verify the -proposed version (if it's available yet--could be a few hours). The end is in sight!
Old 07-01-2020, 04:57 PM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The proposed package update does indeed fix the issue on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I pulled the update from focal-proposed and verified (in the original bug report) that the fix works. If no one else reports any problems with it, it should hit the regular ubuntu updates repo in 7 days or so.

In the meantime, anyone who can't wait that long can always enable the focal-proposed repo in their software sources and get the updated package.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:21 AM   #55
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've had to go through a little bit of dance with Ubuntu. The fact that Qt acknowledges the mistake and has patched it (and now merged the patch) doesn't seem to be enough reason for them to patch their own qt5.12.8 webengine packages. The maintainer asked for more details and possibly a test case. He said the acknowledged upstream mistake would be enough for him, but not for whatever review process Ubuntu has in place.

I've obliged with tons of detail and a small Qt test-case project that demonstrates the issue. Hopefully that will be enough!
Good grief...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:30 AM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Good grief...
Yeah, it's a bit of a pain (especially now that the proposed update has triggered a false regression test that will need to be resolved). But once done, several years of solid Qt (Ubuntu 20.10 will be Qt 5.14.2) and recent Sigil/PageEdit support will await users. I'll sacrifice a little time for a brief period of Sigil/PageEdit prosperity in the world of Ubuntu and its derivatives.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:20 PM   #57
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I'll tell you what -- I'll stick with Arch Linux. I've astoundingly rarely had problems with broken, unstable software like this, and none that weren't resolved quite fast.

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:27 PM   #58
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I'll tell you what -- I'll stick with Arch Linux. I've astoundingly rarely had problems with broken, unstable software like this, and none that weren't resolved quite fast.

Oh, me too, for my own use.

This particular Ubuntu adventure seems to be about over, thank goodness. All tests passed. Now we wait 6 more days for someone to remember to push a button to move it to -updates. I almost feel like this bug-report should get a graduation party.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Oh, me too, for my own use.

This particular Ubuntu adventure seems to be about over, thank goodness. All tests passed. Now we wait 6 more days for someone to remember to push a button to move it to -updates. I almost feel like this bug-report should get a graduation party.
It's past the 6 days. Did the fixed version get moved to updates?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:31 AM   #60
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I can't possibly imagine why you would even care, Jon. But I've already said that I would post here when the fix is available in the normal updates repo. And I will.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-10-2020 at 08:34 AM.

Tags
kubuntu 20.04, pageedit