Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #1
kirk8677
Enthusiast
kirk8677 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Problems adding single books in individual folders to library

Hello, I just tried to add to library with folders and sub folders "assuming each folder contains same book in different formats".

Unfortunately it completely fails - every book entry starts with a period, the names and titles are messed up, and the actual books don't seem to get imported at all! So far example, Calibre thinks it has a PDF and EPUB of the same book but both return errors when I open. Space on drive for each entry is 0.1mb - so nothing is importing.

I have used this feature before without issue - but now it doesn't work at all. Any ideas? A plug in problem?
kirk8677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
kirk8677
Enthusiast

I've tried tinkering a little more and I'm really confused. I was thinking maybe special characters in a file name might be interfering, so I just want down to two simple books, each in their own folder - and it didn't work. Can't figure out the problem, as I said it used to work...
Old 06-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
kirk8677
Enthusiast

I think I figure out the problem but I'm not sure *why* it's a problem.

I copied the directory which was giving me problems from an external hard drive directly connected to the Mac to the internal Mac hard drive. I did the add again and - voila - it worked fine.

I am the administrator and have full access to all drives. Also, I can add individual files just fine to Calire, but for some reason the sub folder add doesn't work unless I move the directory.

And even more confusing, I have done sub folder adds from this external drive in the past!

All makes little sense to me but maybe someone has an idea!
Old 06-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
kirk8677
Enthusiast

One thing to note, the external drive is ExFAT format - I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk8677 View Post
One thing to note, the external drive is ExFAT format - I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Probably, just another Apple MacOS peculiarity, like sprinkling hidden .DSTOREs in zips

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:06 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you run calibre in debug mode, you should get more information on what is going wrong. Open the preferences menu and choose restart in debug ode.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote