Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-26-2020, 07:25 PM   #1
wireman
wireman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 6,7 and 10
No more x-ray

Since the 5.12.5 update, the x-ray function seems to be permanently disabled on my Gen. 10 Paperwhite. I also have a Gen. 7 with 5.12.4 installed, and it's fine.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks.
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:18 AM   #2
Shark69
Connoisseur
Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
No... I use x-ray function everyday... ummmm
Shark69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:48 AM   #3
drofgnal
Guru
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4NT/iphone/ipad/ipad mini
Not every book has x-ray. Mine still works, but I'm not sure of firmware version, I assume it's the latest.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
wireman

Thanks for replying.

I've tried books I know include x-ray.

I guessed the problem was connected to the firmware but, since I seem to be the only person on Earth who has it, that seems unlikely.

Is there any way a hardware problem could manifest in such a strange way? Or, is there some setting I'm overlooking?
Old 06-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
It is very likely a problem on amazon's end.

xray and page number info each come in separate files. I have had one or the other or both not show up for books. I used to contact amazon about it, but stopped since it never did any good. Most of the time both show up right away, but sometimes they don't. For some, they eventually show up after days or weeks.

Lately, some people have been complaining that even books don't show up.

On the kindle, for each book with title BookTitle, there is a folder named BookTitle.sdr

Xray and page number files are in that folder with names BookTitle.apnx and XRAY.entities.ASIN.asc where ASIN is the ASIN number for the ebook.

If a book on one of your kindles has xray and your other kindle does not you can copy the XRAY.entities file and xray will start working for that book.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
wireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It is very likely a problem on amazon's end.

xray and page number info each come in separate files. I have had one or the other or both not show up for books. I used to contact amazon about it, but stopped since it never did any good. Most of the time both show up right away, but sometimes they don't. For some, they eventually show up after days or weeks.

Lately, some people have been complaining that even books don't show up.

On the kindle, for each book with title BookTitle, there is a folder named BookTitle.sdr

Xray and page number files are in that folder with names BookTitle.apnx and XRAY.entities.ASIN.asc where ASIN is the ASIN number for the ebook.

If a book on one of your kindles has xray and your other kindle does not you can copy the XRAY.entities file and xray will start working for that book.
Thank you. I will try this.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #7
John Hopper
Groupie
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have bee reading a book with X Ray today and don't seem to have any problems. and I am on 5.12.5 on my Oasis 3.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #8
wireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
I have bee reading a book with X Ray today and don't seem to have any problems. and I am on 5.12.5 on my Oasis 3.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
Thanks for replying. Since my problem is confined to one generation of the Paperwhite, it's not surprising.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:57 PM   #9
wireman

J.p.s., Your suggestion works almost perfectly. On a couple of books I tried the image section didn't work, but I can live with that. Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:21 PM   #10
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm glad it mostly works for you. I had forgotten that the image section sometimes has problems.

I wish amazon would get its act together on all its various glitchiness.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:40 AM   #11
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I'm no geek. If a book has x-ray does it show in the section of the Kindle page with "length, enhanced typesetting, etc."

I haven't found a book with x-ray in a long time and thought it was just because it cost money to set up x-ray. I use it mostly to keep track of characters in mysteries with a plethora of suspects.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #12
j.p.s
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I'm no geek. If a book has x-ray does it show in the section of the Kindle page with "length, enhanced typesetting, etc."

I haven't found a book with x-ray in a long time and thought it was just because it cost money to set up x-ray. I use it mostly to keep track of characters in mysteries with a plethora of suspects.
You (and many) would think so, but you have to scroll down (sometimes way down) to "Product details", which has much of the same information. But there, and only there, is a line with "X-ray: Enabled" if the ebook has X-ray. But there is still the possibility of having the problem from post #1.