Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-27-2020, 08:53 PM   #16
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Some time back I saw someone, probably on youtube, explaining that the government had done a statistical analysis to find factors that correlate with living longer, and that they'd discovered the secret to a long life is birthdays. The more birthdays you have the longer you live. It's a fact!

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:28 PM   #17
Gardenman
Guru
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, iRiver Story HD - Gave to Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Some time back I saw someone, probably on youtube, explaining that the government had done a statistical analysis to find factors that correlate with living longer, and that they'd discovered the secret to a long life is birthdays. The more birthdays you have the longer you live. It's a fact!

Barry
That sounds like something the government really would do.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #18
kyrilson
Addict
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Does anyone watch any Booktube channels? I found out I enjoyed Mike's Book Reviews when I usually wasn't into channels I've tried. They seem dominated by YA, which I am not that interested in. Anyone have any recommendations for their favorites if they have someone they watch regularly?
Mike's Book Reviews is the only one I watch regularly. I used to watch a few others, but his channel is by far my favorite. He's a very good reviewer and I really enjoy his channel. I think it's because he reads a lot of the same books I do, but he also does a really good job of just making the viewer feel comfortable listening to him and he explains very well why he likes or dislikes something, why you should check out a book or series, etc. He's very personable and it's a really good experience. His enthusiasm is just so great to watch. Fantastic channel. He has had Jim Butcher himself watch and compliment his channel, if that's any indication of the quality. I highly recommend his channel if you're at all interested in fantasy/sf books.

I used to watch A Common Touch of Fantasy, but the owner seems to have moved away from that and is doing more esoteric reviewing and other types of videos now, so I haven't been watching his videos as much.

Daniel Greene used to be a must watch, but I don't like his recent output as much anymore, and as someone else mentioned, he comes across very arrogant and I dislike his tone and style. Not for me.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #19
Paperbackstash
Guru
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles. See Signature for Info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Mike's Book Reviews is the only one I watch regularly. I used to watch a few others, but his channel is by far my favorite. He's a very good reviewer and I really enjoy his channel. I think it's because he reads a lot of the same books I do, but he also does a really good job of just making the viewer feel comfortable listening to him and he explains very well why he likes or dislikes something, why you should check out a book or series, etc. He's very personable and it's a really good experience. His enthusiasm is just so great to watch. Fantastic channel. He has had Jim Butcher himself watch and compliment his channel, if that's any indication of the quality. I highly recommend his channel if you're at all interested in fantasy/sf books.

I used to watch A Common Touch of Fantasy, but the owner seems to have moved away from that and is doing more esoteric reviewing and other types of videos now, so I haven't been watching his videos as much.

Daniel Greene used to be a must watch, but I don't like his recent output as much anymore, and as someone else mentioned, he comes across very arrogant and I dislike his tone and style. Not for me.
You all have me curious to try Daniel Greene just to see his arrogance for a minute, lol

I don't read nearly as much high fantasy that Mike does, and I haven't read any Wheel of Time, which he features quite a bit, or the Dresden books ( I read two years ago), so I mainly watch his feature videos, Stephen King videos, or random. His Michael Crichton video was excellent and reminded me I need to get back into this author again.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:16 PM   #20
Paperbackstash
Guru
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've found a Youtuber that I love watching just because he cracks me up, not intentionally. Books are my social life

I have no idea of the books he mentions but he is into diversity and books I have not heard of. He will randomly start awkwardly sweating in a video, or one time he tried to do a video outside his house and then thought for a minute and said his neighborhood is a bit too ghetto. Then he accidentally stopped in front a of a bright orange house. Then he was trying again and these loud pigeons came by and started overshadowing his dialogue.

Another video he was into in his room this random flying thing entered his room and started bugging him. Another one the neighbors dogs kept barking. I just keep cracking up because I see so many "perfect" youtube videos where people are gorgeous, have clean and pretty houses, stunning outdoor scenery --- and you get this guy who has my kind of luck.

He does have good insights into diversity and the Caribbean, so some of his discussion videos are especially interesting.

The one with the outdoors and the birds is a fun place to start. He planned to do a 7 day readathon for reading rush and then kept not getting around to reading the books half the time, again more realistic with how it goes with me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gkcXFQliKk
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 05:32 PM   #21
Paperbackstash
Guru

I've enjoyed watching random Readathon Vlogs since I like participating in those myself.

Some great videos made on diversity and racism issues as well, especially with much that's been going on in the country.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:51 PM   #22
kyrilson
Addict
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've found a Youtuber that I love watching just because he cracks me up, not intentionally. Books are my social life

I have no idea of the books he mentions but he is into diversity and books I have not heard of. He will randomly start awkwardly sweating in a video, or one time he tried to do a video outside his house and then thought for a minute and said his neighborhood is a bit too ghetto. Then he accidentally stopped in front a of a bright orange house. Then he was trying again and these loud pigeons came by and started overshadowing his dialogue.

Another video he was into in his room this random flying thing entered his room and started bugging him. Another one the neighbors dogs kept barking. I just keep cracking up because I see so many "perfect" youtube videos where people are gorgeous, have clean and pretty houses, stunning outdoor scenery --- and you get this guy who has my kind of luck.

He does have good insights into diversity and the Caribbean, so some of his discussion videos are especially interesting.

The one with the outdoors and the birds is a fun place to start. He planned to do a 7 day readathon for reading rush and then kept not getting around to reading the books half the time, again more realistic with how it goes with me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gkcXFQliKk
That was very enjoyable! I'm subscribing to that channel. I like his style too.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:12 PM   #23
Paperbackstash
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
That was very enjoyable! I'm subscribing to that channel. I like his style too.
Yeah, he has a natural personality that I'm enjoying. What amused me about the first video wasn't any little disasters he ran into, but how much it reminds me of myself with these readathons. I get into them all gung-ho too, participating in the Reading Rush this year. With Dewey's 24 hour readathon, or 24in48, I get all into the prep for weeks with the instagram planned TBR tabs, spreadsheets, Twitter chats, website posts, even one year joining Dewey's groups to get into the recipes to prepare beforehand. What actually happens is I almost always oversleep, stumble out like a zombie hours late with an audiobook I listen to long while I do "other" stuff, while it seems like others have been reading steadily and without hiccup. His reading rush week reminded me of me in that he planned all this TBR, then would randomly admit, whoops, didn't read at all. I can sympathize

Also, I'm curious on the diversity as I'm sure he reads things I don't. I've seen about five videos of his now. He's male, I'm female. He's Caribbean, I'm American. He's Muslim, I'm Christian. He's gay, I'm straight. Definitely some new books for me with his recommendations and his discussion videos on diversity and booktube experience have been insightful

When searching on discussion videos, I've found two women I enjoy quite a bit and now subscribe to.

Bowties & Books - she's a fun personality who does read-a-thons and a variety, really like her personality.

Bookish Realm has great videos on discussions as well, including Book Twitter drama and her answers aren't drama seeking or cancel culture heavy, they're more common sense on human decency and everyone treating each other well. I like her personality and outlook.

On the negative side still not finding any strong, well done mystery channels. Where are the hardcore mystery fans at? It's such a massive genre, and I don't mean another thriller channel mixed with horror and fantasy, but the variety of mystery. I need to dig out more horror channels too. I read romance, but I'm not as interested in romance exclusive channels because the output of books put out monthly in that genre are so vast it's not as likely to be as interesting genre channel wise.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 07-03-2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:42 PM   #24
kyrilson
Addict

Quote:
Yeah, he has a natural personality that I'm enjoying. What amused me about the first video wasn't any little disasters he ran into, but how much it reminds me of myself with these readathons. I get into them all gung-ho too, participating in the Reading Rush this year. With Dewey's 24 hour readathon, or 24in48, I get all into the prep for weeks with the instagram planned TBR tabs, spreadsheets, Twitter chats, website posts, even one year joining Dewey's groups to get into the recipes to prepare beforehand. What actually happens is I almost always oversleep, stumble out like a zombie hours late with an audiobook I listen to long while I do "other" stuff, while it seems like others have been reading steadily and without hiccup. His reading rush week reminded me of me in that he planned all this TBR, then would randomly admit, whoops, didn't read at all. I can sympathize

Also, I'm curious on the diversity as I'm sure he reads things I don't. I've seen about five videos of his now. He's male, I'm female. He's Caribbean, I'm American. He's Muslim, I'm Christian. He's gay, I'm straight. Definitely some new books for me with his recommendations and his discussion videos on diversity and booktube experience have been insightful

When searching on discussion videos, I've found two women I enjoy quite a bit and now subscribe to.

Bowties & Books - she's a fun personality who does read-a-thons and a variety, really like her personality.

Bookish Realm has great videos on discussions as well, including Book Twitter drama and her answers aren't drama seeking or cancel culture heavy, they're more common sense on human decency and everyone treating each other well. I like her personality and outlook.

On the negative side still not finding any strong, well done mystery channel. Where are the hardcore mystery fans at? It's such a massive genre, and I don't mean another thriller channel mixed with horror and fantasy, but the variety of mystery. I need to dig out more horror channels too. I read romance, but I'm not as interested in romance exclusive channels because the output of books put out monthly in that genre are so vast it's not as likely to be as interesting genre channel wise.
Good point there. Mystery is the other genre I read a ton of and I have not found any channels for that at all. There are some good booktubes for romance. My wife reads more romance than I do, but I do dabble in some series -- sportsy ones like Chinooks Hockey Team Series by Rachel Gibson, Chicago Stars Series by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and then historical type ones like the Girl Meets Duke series by Tessa Dare. Yeah yeah, I'm a guy. So what.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:59 PM   #25
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I generally avoid young female booktubers - chances are, they'll be recommending YA. So I tend to watch men and older women.
I've been watching Steve Donoghue:
https://www.youtube.com/user/saintdo...able_polymer=1
Although he seems to be heading more towards non-fiction now, but his early vids are very interesting; he did a season of Golden Age detectives.

More recently I've found Jayne Catherine On Books: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6F...able_polymer=1
An older female with varied tastes in reading.

For classics (as in public domain) novels, an under 30yrs female booktuber who mostly reads Victorian fiction: Spinster's Library: https://www.youtube.com/c/SpinstersL...able_polymer=1

To name but a few.

Last edited by BookCat; 07-03-2020 at 11:01 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #26
Paperbackstash
Guru

Thank you for the recs, BookCat.

Taking a Booktube break to listen to the The Horror Show by Brian Keene podcast. There's all kinds of drama apparently going on. Then will catch the Jaws special on Necromini for podcast - Jaws has always been a top favorite for me.

I'll check with the Booktube channels later.

Need to actually get "reading" in at some point. *shifts eyes*
Old 07-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #27
Paperbackstash
Guru

For horror I've found and am really enjoying this guy
https://www.youtube.com/c/bookmovieguy
Old 07-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #28
Number9
Seealot
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Then will catch the Jaws special on Necromini for podcast - Jaws has always been a top favorite for me.
What is that, if I may ask? I can't find a podcast called Necromini?
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #29
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think the podcast is Jaws
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:52 AM   #30
Number9
Seealot
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think the podcast is Jaws
Hm, perhaps, and I thought it was an episode that was a Jaws special on a Podcast called Necromini. 🤔
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote