Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post
I am having a hard time getting enough books to reproduce this issue.

Any tips to get enough GBs to add to a cloud library that my dev team can access?
If the problem is what I think it is then you don't need lots of books somewhere. What you need is a device that responds to the calibre's FREE_SPACE query with a small number. You can do that by:
  • filing main memory (not SD) until it is nearly full
  • patching CC to report a small number
  • patching calibre to force a small number.
then sending a book larger than the reported free space.

If the dev team is doing the test then the second option is trivial.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:26 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:

Any tips to get enough GBs to add to a cloud library that my dev team can access?
a free box.com cloud account will hold 10gb, with a 250gb single file max size limit. And it already works with android CC
so you could create a 10gb test library there ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:20 AM   #18
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

I don't think issue with "enough books". I could reproduce this one with <20 books (as in "it works without them but it doesn't work with them"). I first encountered this issue due to VERY large (as in "200-700 Mb") PDFs.
Why not just generate large pdfs from combining a lot of random high-res images?
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:53 AM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikarti View Post
I don't think issue with "enough books". I could reproduce this one with <20 books (as in "it works without them but it doesn't work with them"). I first encountered this issue due to VERY large (as in "200-700 Mb") PDFs.
Why not just generate large pdfs from combining a lot of random high-res images?
yes, that would be a better test. it is closer to the OPs environment where the issue occurred

possibly all you need is 1 big PDF, then reuse copy, paste ..to generate multiple copy_NN OF.. VERSIONS

that should look like a library !
Old 06-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You can almost certainly make the problem go away by reverting to calibre 4.17 release on 23 May. The wireless device space checks were added in 4.18.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #21
stumped
Wizard

but the CC app is what reports the space back to calibre? so it will need fixing eventually to always give accurate results, when there is lots of space only on SD external?
Old 06-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #22
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
but the CC app is what reports the space back to calibre? so it will need fixing eventually to always give accurate results, when there is lots of space only on SD external?
Of course. But (assuming I am right about the problem) there is no need to faff about building large libraries and whatnot. The devs can fix it however they want. The OP can revert or live with it until it is fixed. Or slightly more radical, the OP can run calibre from source and remove the check. IIRC it is two lines of code. Hmm ... perhaps I could add an option to calibre to ignore the space reported.

If reverting doesn't "fix" it then more diagnostic efforts will be needed.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #23
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Rebuilding calibre from sources is not a option at this time for me.
Btw, this bug manifest itselfs in another way - almost any CC error which results in 'Cannot write file' by CC(usually because of too long paths - some books have VERY long author lists) now results in 2 error messages in calibre, one of them is 'no space on storage card'. This happens even on device which use internal memory only.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #24
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Btw, this bug manifest itselfs in another way - almost any CC error which results in 'Cannot write file' by CC(usually because of too long paths - some books have VERY long author lists) now results in 2 error messages in calibre, one of them is 'no space on storage card'. This happens even on device which use internal memory only.
Are you running calibre 4.18 or later? If so, have you tried reverting to calibre 4.17 to see if the problem goes away?

If reverting makes the problem go away then I will add an option to calibre to ignore device free space reports, more-or-less what calibre 4.17 and earlier did.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #25
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
FWIW: running from source is not the same thing as rebuilding from source. It is *much* easier. All it requires is checking out a copy of calibre's github repository and setting an environment variable. The calibre binary installation will then auto-compile and run using the source code.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:57 PM   #26
vikarti
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Are you running calibre 4.18 or later? If so, have you tried reverting to calibre 4.17 to see if the problem goes away?

If reverting makes the problem go away then I will add an option to calibre to ignore device free space reports, more-or-less what calibre 4.17 and earlier did.
I usually use 4.19
I tried to reproduce with 4.17 (connected to CC, removed several big files which took more space than available on main memory of device I'm testing with, re-added files) it appears to work without issues.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #27
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I added an option (checkbox) to the calibre wireless device driver to ignore device free space when sending books. The option will be in the next calibre release, which I think will be 4.20.

To set the option, in calibre:
  1. Go to calibre Preferences.
  2. Click the "Plugins" icon in the "Advanced" section at the bottom of the screen
  3. Type "SmartDevice" (without the quotes) in the search box then press Return. The "SmartDevice App Interface" plugin will be highlighted.
  4. Click the "Customize plugin" button.
  5. Check the "Ignore device free space" checkbox at the bottom of the configuration screen.
  6. Press OK
  7. Press the Apply button on the Plugins dialog.
  8. Restart calibre
Old 07-05-2020, 12:05 AM   #28
vikarti
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I added an option (checkbox) to the calibre wireless device driver to ignore device free space when sending books. The option will be in the next calibre release, which I think will be 4.20.
Thanks.
Setting appears to work for me in my specific situation.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:45 AM   #29
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
We just pushed 5.4.4.18 to resolve this issue.

Please report any issues at ccfeedback@goldtreeway.com

Thanks,
Alex
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote