Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #16
SigilBear
Addict
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
kindlegen is a command line tool.
Oh, that's right - I have to open it with Terminal, right?
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
Wow, Kindle Previewer works great; it even fixed an error that displays in the PDF version.

If I open an epub in Kindle Previewer, then I need to export it as a Books(*.mobi) file, right?

I downloaded KindleGen for Mac, but it won't open.
Yes. You should get a choice of kpf (reopens in Kindle Preview without needing conversion), mobi (dual mobi with mobi and azw3 (KF8) and source) and .azk for old iOS devices.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:26 PM   #18
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
On Windows you open it in a DOS window, aka Command Prompt; probably also Power Shell.

Last edited by hobnail; 06-22-2020 at 10:30 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:29 PM   #19
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
kindlegen is a command line tool.
Quote:
It is not interactive. In a terminal, you type kindlegen and any arguments and the epub file name and it produces the kindle version. Unless you have a good reason, you should give it the argument to not append source.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:33 PM   #20
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you want to be dragged into the GUI era, ...
Screaming and kicking! Just kidding, although I still have fond memories of the % unix prompt. I can't remember why I was using KindleGen instead Kindle Previewer. In any event I no longer make kindle books.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:21 PM   #21
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
If you want to be dragged into the GUI era, Kindle Previewer's mobi output is a dual format mobi/azw3(KF8) with the source embedded.
Ah-hah, I overlooked that in your response. That's why I used KindleGen, because including the epub makes the resulting mobi file huge compared to its size without the epub.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:44 PM   #22
SigilBear
Addict
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was going to ask if there's a way to confirm that an epub with a mobi extension has been saved in the multi-Kindle format, but I guess the fact that it's 52 MB vs 24 MB for the original says it all.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:44 PM   #23
SigilBear
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
In any event I no longer make kindle books.
Why don't you make Kindle books?
Old 06-22-2020, 11:58 PM   #24
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Why don't you make Kindle books?

I got tired of Hitch hectoring me about supporting ancient Kindles. Just kidding Hitch!

They were books I uploaded here. Now I just upload epub books. If people need the kindle version they can use calibre to do the conversion, and have calibre format it the way they like; e.g., ragged right versus fully justified.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:01 AM   #25
SigilBear
Addict

Interesting. I started out on Sigil, which is still my main platform. However, it looks like Calibre has really been beefing up its features. I'm increasingly using it to do various things.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:28 AM   #26
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Interesting. I started out on Sigil, which is still my main platform. However, it looks like Calibre has really been beefing up its features. I'm increasingly using it to do various things.
For editing epubs I think it's about even between Sigil and Calibre.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
I still do the majority of my editing in Sigil but I also use the calibre editor. Each of them is able to handle some tasks better than the other.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
I still do the majority of my editing in Sigil but I also use the calibre editor. Each of them is able to handle some tasks better than the other.
And it depends what needs to be done.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle