Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 06-14-2020, 11:18 PM   #1
glenn4121
glenn4121 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Preferred dictionary

I have the dictionary.com app installed on my iPad. In the setup section about dictionaries, how can I tell Marvin to use it?
glenn4121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I think I remember a tester asking for that functionality...at least there was a good discussion about it. Unfortunately I don't remember what the exact outcome was...I just use the default dictionary.

You may be able to find it on the developer's help site. Kris has a bunch of tips/tricks there.

https://blog.appstafarian.com/post/1...me-tips-tricks
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I think I remember a tester asking for that functionality...at least there was a good discussion about it. Unfortunately I don't remember what the exact outcome was...I just use the default dictionary.

You may be able to find it on the developer's help site. Kris has a bunch of tips/tricks there.

https://blog.appstafarian.com/post/1...me-tips-tricks
There were a lot of requests for Marvin that never got implemented. That's why marvin is not as wonderful as some make it sound.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
iOS is a very limited OS. That's good for a lot of things but very bad for interfacing with third party apps.

On android any app can scan installed packages on a device without any user permission, and choose which of them are dictionary apps, grab their icons and make a nice presentation to users.

On iOS that is not possible. You can still do IPC but the best you can do is provide a list of supported apps (all dictionary apps with a custom URL scheme that allow queries from other apps) and redirect to their page on the App Store.

You need to educate your users saying "install this app and then check it as your preferred dictionary", which clashes with apple mobile slogan "It just works". So many ereader apps just use the dictionary which is part of the OS or implement their own dictionary support within the app.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There were a lot of requests for Marvin that never got implemented. That's why marvin is not as wonderful as some make it sound.
Is this a hash on Marvin thread, or are you attempting to help the OP answer their question?

But you are right, there were a lot of requests for Marvin that the developer did not feel was where he wanted to take the app. IIRC instant teleportation to Mars was one of them Kris felt was a little outside of the intent...

Last edited by Turtle91; 06-15-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:19 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
iOS is a very limited OS. That's good for a lot of things but very bad for interfacing with third party apps.

On android any app can scan installed packages on a device without any user permission, and choose which of them are dictionary apps, grab their icons and make a nice presentation to users.

On iOS that is not possible. You can still do IPC but the best you can do is provide a list of supported apps (all dictionary apps with a custom URL scheme that allow queries from other apps) and redirect to their page on the App Store.

You need to educate your users saying "install this app and then check it as your preferred dictionary", which clashes with apple mobile slogan "It just works". So many ereader apps just use the dictionary which is part of the OS or implement their own dictionary support within the app.
Yes, I am certainly not a fan boy...

However the term 'a custom URL scheme' rings some bells...as in I'm pretty sure that is/was the track you should pursue. I will play around with Marvin and see what I can find.

Did you have any luck on the appstafarian site?
Old 06-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
However the term 'a custom URL scheme' rings some bells...as in I'm pretty sure that is/was the track you should pursue. I will play around with Marvin and see what I can find.
Sadly this need that both the ereader and the dictionary app support the option. I *think* the share sheet is easier to support because just the dictionary app needs to provide a share extension and almost all apps support the "famous" share button.

For instance Dicty supports searching words by using share, but no using a custom url, while ABBYY provides a custom url scheme. I dunno if it has a share extension too.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

I just found this: https://blog.marvinapp.com/post/74510508547

Also here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...32&postcount=3

and hereL https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ht=url+schemes

I will fiddle around and see what I can do.

Last edited by Turtle91; 06-15-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:18 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

OK...In Marvin:

- Select settings (top left), from your library page.
- Select EPUB book settings
- scroll down to the Text selection menu and select Manage
- Select Define
- enter the desired URL scheme...you can even test it on that page.

As you mentioned, both apps need to allow it, and I can't help with the Dictionary.com app - I'm unfamiliar with it. However, you may be able to go to their website - if that's available??

Hope that helps!

edit: Also, there are some presets available at the bottom that can get you pointed in the right direction!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.png
Views:	352
Size:	556.0 KB
ID:	179918   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.png
Views:	339
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	179919   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.png
Views:	345
Size:	580.4 KB
ID:	179920  

Last edited by Turtle91; 06-15-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:49 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Is this a hash on Marvin thread, or are you attempting to help the OP answer their question?

But you are right, there were a lot of requests for Marvin that the developer did not feel was where he wanted to take the app. IIRC instant teleportation to Mars was one of them Kris felt was a little outside of the intent...
There were requests since the days of Marvin 1 that never got implemented. Such as syncing annotations, allowing all of the customizations to be turned off, allowing base font to be changed in publisher mode, ADE page numbers, and other things. It could have been even better. But nope. Never happened.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:24 AM   #11
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
OK...In Marvin:

- Select settings (top left), from your library page.
- Select EPUB book settings
- scroll down to the Text selection menu and select Manage
- Select Define
- enter the desired URL scheme...you can even test it on that page.

As you mentioned, both apps need to allow it, and I can't help with the Dictionary.com app - I'm unfamiliar with it. However, you may be able to go to their website - if that's available??

Hope that helps!

edit: Also, there are some presets available at the bottom that can get you pointed in the right direction!!
I will add my 2 cents. I use a very good free dictionary wordweb
It can be reached via this command wordweb://{text}

That is get the wordweb app from appstore and enter the URL command wordweb://{text} as described by Turtle91.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:14 AM   #12
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
I will add my 2 cents. I use a very good free dictionary wordweb
It can be reached via this command wordweb://{text}

That is get the wordweb app from appstore and enter the URL command wordweb://{text} as described by Turtle91.
A few cents more:
if you go to to the dictionary.com web page and search for horse
Then the address line in the browser will look like this:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/horse?s=t
If you now enter the following command in Marvin:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/{text}?s=t

Then you will see the translation in the Safari browser.

Also note the Ok in the upper left corner in the browser. Tap it to return to Marvin.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There were requests since the days of Marvin 1 that never got implemented...
Yup - Kris (the developer) didn't want to take Marvin in that direction...if you disagree then write your own app.

And, how exactly does this help the OP with his question?