Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
lovetoRL
lovetoRL began at the beginning.

Device: looking
Confused, well overwhelmed with options.

So, I've been doing a lot of research online and in this group and I think I'm experiencing information overload.
I would appreciate your help in deciding on an e-reader. This will be my first one. I've always wanted one. Now, I don't want to spend a lot and I know it will limit me. I also want a Tablet and need to replace my laptop, so spending $800 on a tablet and e-reader and then $1000 on a laptop is feasible, but I don't want to do it.

I initially decided on a Kobo, then a Pocketbook, and then I looked at the Boyue line but saw that they were sluggish, or was that Likebook mars? I kept going. hahahahaha I know I don't want a kindle, I don't want to be limited to their ecosystem.
I have and I'm familiar with Calibre.
I haven't done it in a while, but I am pretty tech-savvy, so I'm able to add or tinker with settings.

What is important to me is a large screen, I don't want to read on my phone (Samsung 9+) anymore, so I don't want a 6" screen.

What I like:

A really great interface and easy to customize.
Expandable (but is that necessary)
A good dictionary
I borrow from my library, so Overdrive is needed. I hate Adobe Editions because of the authentication issues.
Hardware buttons
I do use Pocket.
Nice to have:
use audiobooks
read graphic novels
highlighting and notetaking.
PDF's, I understand are better on a tablet. I have a few books that look better in color, so I'm ok using a tablet for those.

I tried to keep it limited because I read a post that said we start off with these really big lists and a basic unit is fine for most people.

I just want to read. I have a ton of ebooks that go untouched
lovetoRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:39 PM   #2
lovetoRL

I wanted to add, I'm in the States, and I think Hardware buttons would be nice. I don't want to spend over $250-$300. Staying under $200 would be nice. If it means a Kindle. I'd make the sacrifice. HAHA
Also, is this a good time to buy? Should I wait for new models or a sale?

Last edited by lovetoRL; 06-08-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.slkissinger is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
What I like:

A really great interface and easy to customize.
Expandable (but is that necessary)
A good dictionary
I borrow from my library, so Overdrive is needed. I hate Adobe Editions because of the authentication issues.
Hardware buttons
I do use Pocket.
Nice to have:
use audiobooks
read graphic novels
highlighting and notetaking.
PDF's
Based on your preferences, with the exception of audiobooks and ‘expandable’ (not many devices are expandable lately), I think a kobo Libra hd or forma is your choice. You can buy it thru Walmart ship to store in the u.s.

If you really want the audiobooks, then Pocketbook, likely ink pad pro (because I suspect the ink pad X is perhaps more than you want spend)

But my opinion is Kobo, for you, based on your stated wishes. What size, Libra hd or Forma that’s a personal preference. The price diff at Walmart.com isn’t too significant, perhaps check the return policy, get both... and return the one you like less.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #4
mirage
Zealot
mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
Walmart in the US is only selling the Libra H2O via third party vendors right now and at inflated prices. To avoid that, you'd have to order directly through Kobo or from someplace like Indigo in Canada, who'll ship to the US. Delivered pricing via Indigo, after currency conversion, is very close to Kobo's prices.

It's possible that Walmart will carry it again at the usual $169, but there's no indication as to when that might be.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:45 AM   #5
lovetoRL

So far I like the forma for it's size but I do like the feature in the Libra that lets you see your progress as you are reading. $80 is a huge leap for just screen size.
How does the Nova pro 7.8 compare to the LIbra, can you use Overdrive on that one?
Old 06-09-2020, 12:58 AM   #6
jmmcg9
Connoisseur
jmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
LovetoRL,
I recently switched from Kindle Oasis 2 to the Kobo Forma mainly for the larger screen size. After reading 2 books, I can say the upgrade was a good move. I found that reading in Landscape orientation is my best option for optimal viewing.
I ordered directly from Kobo. It took 9 days from order to delivery in Austin, Texas Via UPS.
Managing the Kindle is simpler, but Calibre works well and offers more flexibility. It guarantees you will always have copies of your books and provides the ability to add plug-ins that provide additional functionality. The integration with Overdrive is a huge advantage over Amazon if you utilize your local library.
My only other concern was the low availability of Kobo’s. Normally with my luck it means a newer model with some major improvements will come out just after the return window closes.
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:35 AM   #7
lovetoRL

Jmmcg, That's my concern as well. It looked like the libra was released 9/19 and Forma 11/18. So, if fall is the new release time frame. I don't want to wait. LOL So you noticed a difference in the 1" from the Oasis to the Forma? I thought I had settled on a 7" screen. Admittedly, I am being cheap. :-) But I am getting older and don't want to pinch and squeeze to read. I'm pretty much in bifocal range and take my glasses off when I want to read on my phone. It is so annoying.

The only other reading experience I had was with a Nexus, I think it was a 7. I'd continue with that but it doesn't stay charged and is so slow.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:03 PM   #8
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Personally I find 7'' to be my favorite size. 6'' is too small and 8'' is too big.

As to the old and worn sentiment "I don't want a Kindle, because I don't want to be limited to their ecosystem", well, that just isn't true. You can buy elsewhere and sideload to your Kindles to your heart's content, if you're familiar with Calibre. But as the 7'' Kindle Oasis is pretty expensive, I guess the Kobo Libra is a better option for you. It's an excellent reader and I'm very satisfied with mine.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #9
jmmcg9
Connoisseur
jmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enoughjmmcg9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
LovetoRL,
The extra inch for the Forma is a big deal for me since my eyes aren’t getting any younger.
The Forma is relatively light, so it is still a manageable size as far as handling goes. If mobility is the Top priority, then you want a 6 inch screen where you can toss the reader in your pocket. I think the Forma is a good compromise. I would love a 10 inch screen, but that is unwieldy.
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoRL View Post
So far I like the forma for it's size but I do like the feature in the Libra that lets you see your progress as you are reading. $80 is a huge leap for just screen size.
How does the Nova pro 7.8 compare to the LIbra, can you use Overdrive on that one?
That progress bar at the bottom of the screen s a feature of the firmware and not a feature specific to any Kobo. So that feature in the Libra does exist in the Forma. I have it with the original H2O with firmware 4.20.14622.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Jmmcg, That's my concern as well. It looked like the libra was released 9/19 and Forma 11/18. So, if fall is the new release time frame. I don't want to wait. LOL So you noticed a difference in the 1" from the Oasis to the Forma? I thought I had settled on a 7" screen. Admittedly, I am being cheap. :-) But I am getting older and don't want to pinch and squeeze to read. I'm pretty much in bifocal range and take my glasses off when I want to read on my phone. It is so annoying.

The only other reading experience I had was with a Nexus, I think it was a 7. I'd continue with that but it doesn't stay charged and is so slow.
The H2O I have has a 6.8" screen and yes, the .8" makes a noticeable difference. If you want to see a similar screen size to the Forma, have a look at the iPad Mini. It's a 7.9" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #12
lovetoRL

Thanks JS Wolf! I went with the Libra since it's my first one. Hopefully, I won't be disappointed.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #13
lovetoRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Personally I find 7'' to be my favorite size. 6'' is too small and 8'' is too big.

As to the old and worn sentiment "I don't want a Kindle, because I don't want to be limited to their ecosystem", well, that just isn't true. You can buy elsewhere and sideload to your Kindles to your heart's content, if you're familiar with Calibre. But as the 7'' Kindle Oasis is pretty expensive, I guess the Kobo Libra is a better option for you. It's an excellent reader and I'm very satisfied with mine.
How do you like the Nook Glowlight?
Old 06-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #14
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
How do you like the Nook Glowlight?
The hardware is good, but the software not so much. It's somewhat slow and has few customization options compared to Kindles and Kobos. Can't sideload your own fonts, collections don't really work with sideloaded books etc. I bought it because it's a very nice reader hardware-wise and I wanted to try a 7.8'' screen. But yes, software is pretty limited.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The hardware is good, but the software not so much. It's somewhat slow and has few customization options compared to Kindles and Kobos. Can't sideload your own fonts, collections don't really work with sideloaded books etc. I bought it because it's a very nice reader hardware-wise and I wanted to try a 7.8'' screen. But yes, software is pretty limited.
Everything you say is true. And yet, I've found most of it isn't really stuff I personally miss. I patch and customize my Kobo and I have fun sometimes looking through collections and series. Yet I love reading on my 2015 Glowlight Plus.

The three things things I would like to see changed in Nook firmware:
  1. Ditch that useless profile button on the top left and bring back the current read button. That was a great feature and they made a mistake in replacing it.
  2. When I reach the end of a book and do 'page forward' take me back to the home screen, instead of just sitting like a dummy.
  3. I don't like that half the home screen is links to the store.

If those were fixed, Nook would still be missing good collections control and custom fonts, but I could deal.

I do like author stacking in my library.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-10-2020 at 05:10 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote