Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #121
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I only finished three books in February, but all were on my TBR list.

I'm hopeful things will calm down at work because my hectic schedule cut into a lot of my free reading time in the evenings and weekends.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #122
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I'm glad I read the prequel : New Spring by Robert Jordan. It did clear a lot of things up for me. Looking forward to the rest of the series. Although he can be a bit wordy. I guess it's just his style of writing.

Last edited by Wearever; 03-07-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #123
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Doing really well on number of books, but haven't made much of a dent in TBR and previously started-but-not-finished books.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #124
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm really struggling with one sub-goal this year -- keeping my list up to date here on MR. The problem has been a combination of injury and being on the road. Between the two, I'm spending a lot less time at my desk where I normally do updates. I can read MR well from my Fire, but maintaining the list and keeping track of books bought/read/listened to is just not realistically possible on the Fire.

Hopefully, this next trip will be my last for a while. In which case, this should improve. Or at least, that's the plan.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #125
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I've been reading a lot of older books in my library. Currently reading the Murder-by-Month series by Jess Lourey. Just finished book 4 and am still enjoying this mystery cozy series. I might add that I have relatives who live in those towns (yes, they are real towns!). I bought most of these during the Kobocaplyse of 2012 or was it 2013? (Can't remember now). My goal is to get caught up with the series as she will be publishing her final book of the series in the next year or so.

Also listening to Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz on audiobook, which I bought in 2009 and am finally getting to. Creepy (as many of his stories are), but good.

I too find it very difficult to maintain my listing on MR using the Fire, even the 8" Fire, so I just don't. I catch up after a week or so on the desktop.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-12-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #126
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
After falling far behind in January, I caught up and pulled ahead on my benchmark total. But. The guts of my challenge, various topics of interest, is going nowhere at all and currently I'm in the middle of several no-better-than-three-star reads, which is disheartening. I need both to up my game and to focus.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #127
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
For my fantasy challenge, I'm reading another first book" Age of Myth " by Michael J. Sullivan. Book 1 of Legends of the First Empire.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #128
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
After falling far behind in January, I caught up and pulled ahead on my benchmark total. But. The guts of my challenge, various topics of interest, is going nowhere at all and currently I'm in the middle of several no-better-than-three-star reads, which is disheartening. I need both to up my game and to focus.
I know the feeling. Were it not for the New Leaf Book Club reads, I'd find myself reading dreck that struggles to be 3 stars. (And which you would undoubtedly rate at 1 or 2 stars. ) Hemingway, of all people, pulled me out of my doldrums this month, and I can only hope that next month's book does as well. But I'm _not_ hopeful. OTOH, perhaps I'll read one or two of the others that didn't make the cut -- there were definitely a couple that looked like they would be winners.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #129
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hemingway, of all people, pulled me out of my doldrums this month, and I can only hope that next month's book does as well. But I'm _not_ hopeful. OTOH, perhaps I'll read one or two of the others that didn't make the cut -- there were definitely a couple that looked like they would be winners.
Amusing as I dreaded Hemingway and am really enjoying the Fry. You can only take so many white, male professors teaching you about dead, white male writers bit for so long during the course of a 4 year degree in Literature before you have a knee-jerk reaction against them. I think I had to read or write about Hemingway almost every semester.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #130
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Amusing as I dreaded Hemingway and am really enjoying the Fry. You can only take so many white, male professors teaching you about dead, white male writers bit for so long during the course of a 4 year degree in Literature before you have a knee-jerk reaction against them. I think I had to read or write about Hemingway almost every semester.
Oh, I get it! (Even though I am a white, heterosexual male.) But I'm far enough past my college days (with an English co-major) that I have no memory of reading any Hemingway, though I know I did. And this book really worked for me, and got me past some recent bad reading experiences. I like Fry -- as a writer, as a narrator, and as a person. But the book we're reading hasn't really caught my fancy yet, at least in the description. But we'll see. I've bought it from Amazon UK, and will endeavor to get it read before next month's discussion.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:46 AM   #131
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Oh, I get it! (Even though I am a white, heterosexual male.) But I'm far enough past my college days (with an English co-major) that I have no memory of reading any Hemingway, though I know I did. And this book really worked for me, and got me past some recent bad reading experiences. I like Fry -- as a writer, as a narrator, and as a person. But the book we're reading hasn't really caught my fancy yet, at least in the description. But we'll see. I've bought it from Amazon UK, and will endeavor to get it read before next month's discussion.
I can really relate to both these posts. I dreaded the Hemingway; it turned out to be not as bad as I feared, though nothing I'd write home about (except that, being a book club, we're supposed to ). And I am a fan of Stephen Fry but the description of Making History really didn't do it for me (never has, which is why I hadn't read it). Still to get my copy and find out how it goes for me, I'm a bit more hopeful now after reading others' reactions to it.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #132
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I’m falling behind on my target of 200 books, I have only read 38 so far this year. Darn work getting in the way of hobbies :/

Last edited by June; 03-23-2018 at 12:03 PM.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #133
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Work is actually helping my reading out at the moment.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #134
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Only managed 8 books so far, but goodreads insists I’m ahead of schedule. Playing xbox games is kinda cutting into my reading time, but oh well, variety is good.

Last edited by PurpleStar; 03-24-2018 at 08:18 PM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:17 PM   #135
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I think I am actually ahead... slow days at work lately.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote