Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
CHAUWAY
CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nexus 7 cracked screen help

Bad luck! I cracked my nexus 7 screen just after I got it one month. The screen is unresponsive. I found this Nexus 7 LCD Screen and Digitizer Assembly. And also the Nexus 7 Digitizer Touch Screen. The LCD assembly is really too expensive. Hope I don't have to replace it. Which part do I have to replace? Anyone who know please help.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-31-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: removed links
CHAUWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For most modern screens everything is laminated together so the whole thing needs to be replaced, not 100% sure if this is the case with the Nexus but I'd think so.

It might be worth seeing if Google has any kind of replacement policy. For example when my Nephew dropped and shattered the screen on my iPod Touch 4th gen I was able to get a refurbed, fully warrantied, replacement for $99.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
CHAUWAY
CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For most modern screens everything is laminated together so the whole thing needs to be replaced, not 100% sure if this is the case with the Nexus but I'd think so.

It might be worth seeing if Google has any kind of replacement policy. For example when my Nephew dropped and shattered the screen on my iPod Touch 4th gen I was able to get a refurbed, fully warrantied, replacement for $99.
Thanks, I'll go and see.
CHAUWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
I've had to replace both screen and digitizer on a few phones (some fairly recent models) and it seems that if the touch stuff still works, it's just the screen you need to replace.

If you have no touch response, then you'll do both.

Check with Google, at least, before undertaking such a task.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
My Nexus 16GB 7 screen just cracked. The LCD still works, but the touchscreen does not work. It is less than 7 months old and still under the 12 month limited warranty from the Google Play store, but they refer you to Asus for all warranty issues. Asus considers a cracked screen as CID (Customer Induced Damage) and they charge the customer for repair.

A Nexus 7 with a cracked screen typically sells for $75 or more on ebay, or $150 on my local craigslist. Asus said they can sell me a refurbished model at a reduced price, but ONLY if they cannot fix my Nexus 7, and they also require that I send my old Nexus 7 to them and that I pay the shipping. That means that the REAL cost is whatever they charge for the refurb PLUS the salvage value (ebay/craigslist selling price) PLUS the cost of return shipping. Going this route (only if Asus says they cannot fix it), you would end up paying far more than just buying a new 16GB Nexus 7 from Google Play for $199.

Another option is to send my Nexus 7 to Asus for repair, but that is even MORE expensive. In the end, I still have a refurbished Nexus 7 (with additional time delay for them to refurbish MY nexus 7), but with additional costs involved. How much? The cost of return shipping PLUS $204 for a replacement touchscreen. Remember that I can buy a NEW 16GB Nexus 7 for $199, in which case I still have my OLD unit with the damaged touchscreen, which I can resell for even SMALLER total cost, or I can use it without the touchscreen.

How can I use a Nexus 7 with broken touchscreen? Get a USB OTG cable, and plug in a USB mouse. I tried it. It works. I have a rooted kernel though, but you can root it without a touchscreen if you need to.

My Nexus 7 is currently working with a wireless keyboard with mouse touchpad, the size of a TV remote control, with a tiny wireless dongle that enumerates as a USB keyboard and mouse (and even works in a Windows PC when you boot to the BIOS).

Anyway, I am very unhappy with both Google and Asus now, for their RAPE-level prices for "warranty" repairs. My Nexus 7 only slipped off the 2-foot high nightstand next to my bed, onto a wood floor. It must have hit "just right", because that is all it took. Getting it fixed costs FAR MORE than just buying a new one at Google Play, especially if you sell your old one at the going salvage rate ($75 to $150) or if you keep the old one as a spare and just use it with a mouse.

If you do try to replace the screen, beware that a replacement screen AND "digitizer" costs at least $165 on ebay and you need to wait for it to arrive from Hong Kong. Cheaper units are missing parts (either no touchscreen or no LCD panel), and you cannot replace only those parts because the LCD and broken touchscreen glass are bonded together in a Nexus 7.

Even so, you may find it interesting to see HOW to replace the screen and digitizer/touchscreen in a Nexus 7 (just for educational purposes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC2aGLseN64

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-09-2013 at 04:01 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Regarding customer service from Google and Asus, when I tried to get a refurbished or discounted replacement from Asus, the pretty much (tactfully) told me to go screw myself. I called Google back, and even escalating my case to a supervisor, they pretty much just gave me the middle finger. That made me decide to NOT buy another Nexus 7, but I do not see anything else with more "bang for the buck" right now. I guess I will just stick with my external mouse and keyboard until something better comes along, or the Sony Xperia Z comes down in price so I can afford it ($749, ouch!)...

Sadly, when the 16GB Nexus 7 cost $249, Asus charged $160 to repair it. When the price dropped to $199 (and the 8GB model was discontinued), Asus INCREASED their repair cost to full retail replacement cost PLUS return shipping PLUS loss of resale value ($75 to $150), plus ANOTHER FIVE DOLLARS just for an extra "kick in the teeth". If you take the salvage/resale value of the broken Nexus 7 into account, it ends up costing TWICE AS MUCH (or more) to repair your broken unit than to buy a NEW replacement.

Google and Asus must REALLY want their customers to exclude them from their vendor list for future purchases! I guess with the Nexus 7 selling like it does, they really do not need all of us annoying customers...

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-09-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Would your household insurance not cover it? I know mine would.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
My Nexus 7 only slipped off the 2-foot high nightstand next to my bed, onto a wood floor. It must have hit "just right", because that is all it took.
My understanding is that they went with a cheaper glass. If the Nexus 7 came with Gorilla glass and micro-SD it would be nearly perfect.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #9
geekmaster

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
My understanding is that they went with a cheaper glass. If the Nexus 7 came with Gorilla glass and micro-SD it would be nearly perfect.
I just held a credit card next to the exposed edge of the broken glass. The credit card is THICKER than the glass!

That is some very thin glass, indeed. And that includes a touchscreen layer too.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
mobilelover
Enthusiast
mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Hi chauway I read this on google's product forum

" Broken screens are not covered under warranty. Asus offers a repair service--for a significant fee. It might be worth it for the 3G version. I have seen discussions where people decided that buying a new device was a better choice. FYI, there is a video on YouTube about how to replace the screen yourself but there are two downsides: Doing that voids the warranty and replacement screens are not readily available at this time. "
mobilelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinakathy View Post
Unfortunately there is no warranty or replacement of a cracked screen. Some say to buy a new device instead of repair it.
Asus charges MORE to repair your cracked screen than you a NEW unit costs at google. If you buy a new one, you save money, and you save return shipping, and you have a spare unit that still works with external keyboard and mouse. Asus repair is a TOTAL RIPOFF!