Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 08-31-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
darchon
darchon began at the beginning.

can't get plucker desktop to work with rss feeds

i can't seem to get plucker desktop to work with rss feeds. it loads fine on my desktop RSS reader but when i put the same url in plucker desktop, it doesn't retrieve the feed properly and doesn't descend links.
darchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Plucker desktop doesn't support RSS (currently, anyway). You'll have to look for another way to use RSS feeds with Plucker.

If you have access to a PHP-capable web server, and know a bit of PHP, you could try to format it into basic HTML using Magpie RSS, or something similar, and then grab that with Plucker. Just be sure to use the caching options, as most websites don't like having their RSS feeds hit more than once every 30 minutes (Slashdot, in particular, is very strict about this.)
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2005, 08:10 AM   #3
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Just be sure to use the caching options, as most websites don't like having their RSS feeds hit more than once every 30 minutes (Slashdot, in particular, is very strict about this.)
Ironic you should mention that... I'm writing a paper that is titled "Why RSS Sucks", and is specifically targeted at the 99% of users and feed readers that ignore the entire point of RSS.. to syndicate news. The paper goes through the various types of RSS (there are 7 formats), and how they're delivered (details on each header, etc.) and how 99% of the readers out there completely misbehave when revisiting feeds.

We are seeing roughly 800 separate readers and agents hitting our rss feeds every hour even though the content on those feeds hasn't changed in weeks. Not only does the "Expires:" header specify a 2-week revisit interval but the ETag hasn't changed at all in months for some of the stale news articles.

And yet these readers still pound the feed almost every hour. I've just started blocking them en-masse. If they can't learn to use the standards, they can use them on someone else's pipe.

Code:
# iptables-save | grep "dport 80" | wc -l
(Some of these are entire /24 CIDRs)
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:16 PM   #4
37lIUx7Yx4Y
jPlucker
37lIUx7Yx4Y began at the beginning.

Device: pilot 1000 , IIIxe , tapwave zodiac , Nokia 770
JPluck + Sunrise

JPluck + Sunrise

are both distillers that export to plucker .PDB format

I can confirm that JPluck will process RSS feeds

http://jpluck.sourceforge.net/

JPluck is free and Open Source
37lIUx7Yx4Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
steverosen
steverosen began at the beginning.

Device: Palm LifeDrive
Try using Sunrise distiller instead

I switched to Sunrise free distiller (version 42i), which does handle RSS feeds. Its output is read by plucker.
steverosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert