Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-28-2021, 04:58 AM   #16
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
I have just added a book specific dictionary for the current book I am editing and, as soon as I did any words that I added to the default dictionary got put into that instead.

It appears this problem is not one book related, but something that affects all.

The odd thing is that I created another dictionary 'slang' for words that are considered common slang, but this appears to hijack words destined for the default.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or is it something to do with my installation?
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:25 AM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
I have just added a book specific dictionary for the current book I am editing and, as soon as I did any words that I added to the default dictionary got put into that instead.

It appears this problem is not one book related, but something that affects all.

The odd thing is that I created another dictionary 'slang' for words that are considered common slang, but this appears to hijack words destined for the default.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or is it something to do with my installation?
@Ashjuk - Firstly, I am still using Version 1.0.0, Build time 2019.12.17 06:45:11 UTC

I have tried to repeat your problem, but I've failed. I don't spell check in Sigil, so my starting point was an empty 'default' user dictionary.

I added two dictionaries - names and jargon, the misspelt words ended up in the dictionaries I wanted them to be in, e.g. 'Cristobel' went into names, 'CoCo-Bonds' went into jargon, and 'nightshift' went into default.

I added words to the 'current' user dictionary by clicking the Add to dictionary button and by pressing F2. There's nothing amiss with the three user dictionary files - they have modify timestamps and the words I would expect them to have. Of course, I may have misconstrued your steps.

FWIW - I rediscovered a reason I don't use Sigil's spellchecker. To change the user dictionary you have to use the selector on the right. I prefer calibre's approach of allowing selection of the dictionary in the context menu flyout e.g Add/Remove . . . -><dictionary>.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2021, 07:59 AM   #18
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
@BetterRed,

Thanks for that information, but as you are using a very old version it is probably not indicative that the problem is not in the current version.

I am puzzled as to why creating another dictionary - not named default - causes it to become the location for storing words added to the default dictionary.

Hopefully one of the developers will have a look at the problem and report back.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:33 PM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
@BetterRed,

Thanks for that information, but as you are using a very old version it is probably not indicative that the problem is not in the current version.

I am puzzled as to why creating another dictionary - not named default - causes it to become the location for storing words added to the default dictionary.

Hopefully one of the developers will have a look at the problem and report back.
My hope is that my tests on 1.0 may help Kevin identify the cause of your problem, I should have made that clear. He made some changes in version 1.4 relating to multilingual spell checking that may have bought about your issue.

Of late, whenever I've decided to update Sigil, something pops up here that makes me change my mind.

BR
Old 01-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #20
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Actually, comparing Sigil 1.0 to Sigil 1.4.3, Sigil 1.4.3 is much more stable with many fewer bugs in general than Sigil 1.0. And this particular issue was not a bug at all, just a misunderstanding that any user dictionary can be made to be the Default.

If any serious bugs end up in a release, we make quick follow-up releases. So just like anything else, when a new release is announced you can take a wait and see approach as long as you are happy with your particular version.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Actually, comparing Sigil 1.0 to Sigil 1.4.3, Sigil 1.4.3 is much more stable with many fewer bugs in general than Sigil 1.0. And this particular issue was not a bug at all, just a misunderstanding that any user dictionary can be made to be the Default.
I just the read the overnight (for me) exchange between yourself, the OP and Doug on this issue in the 'What Features or Tools does Sigil Still Need?' thread, and I see the OPs dictionary issue appears to be resolved.

I'll leave to the Sigil mods to decide if they want to have two open threads on the same issue from the same OP - it it were me I'd move the exchange in the 'What Features...' thread into here.

I've not needed any of the changes made since version 1.0, so there's been no imperative to upgrade.

BR
Old 01-28-2021, 04:17 PM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Addendum: my "something pops up" was about upcoming new features not critical defects.

As in: "Dark Mode would be nice, but multi language spell checking is coming, so I'll wait for that, then end tag highlighting pops up - so I might as well wait for that."

BR
Old 01-28-2021, 04:40 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not big on doing a lot of thread merging. We don't have a ton of active threads in Sigil that we need to worry about consolidating.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote