Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Pencil and Paper?

So what do you find helpful when writing with pencil and paper?

I need a pencil and a hard surface to write. Usually a clipboard. I can also use a hardback notebook. I would like a hardback binder, so I can move pages, remove them and scan them, etc., but so far I've only found soft plastic or soft cardboard ones. A lap desk can also be very useful.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:35 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
So what do you find helpful when writing with pencil and paper? [...]
Someone else to do the writing.

My handwriting has deteriorated to such an extent that I have trouble reading it, so I keep it to a minimum. I generally use a felt-tip or roller-ball styled pen (rather than a pencil) and just scratch out mistakes. These pens need almost no pressure to write so that you can get away with writing on almost any surface and it's easier on the hand. It often needs considerable imagination when it comes to interpreting the result, but that's okay too.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2020, 03:27 AM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah. I've always had trouble with pens, they're too slippery.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:57 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Do you like a traditional hexagonal pencil, or one of the new-fangled triangular ones? Or perhaps you have one of those triangular rubber grips for ordinary pencils?

Standard HB, or you you prefer something softer - 2B or even 4B?

And as for paper - loose, or a notebook? Laid or Wove?

Then again, I'm not a writer, so perhaps I should stay out of this.

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-12-2020 at 08:47 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Ah. I've always had trouble with pens, they're too slippery.
Is the pen surface too slippery in your fingers, or is the nib too slippery on the paper? For the former you can get silicone sleeves (searching "silicone sleeves for pen" gave me a lot of results). For the latter ... well, that's the price of not needing to apply pressure to write. I think it's something you can get used to, and I find it better for my hand, less tiring, but all this stuff is a matter of personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
[...]Then again, I'm not a writer, so perhaps I should stay out of this.
Lots of people besides writers have reason to take notes. It's all just words, whatever we are recording them for.

Last edited by gmw; 08-12-2020 at 07:27 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I mostly do handwritten annotation and notes on diagrams. If it's text, I type. I take notes on the phone or tablet with "Jota", which makes files easily imported to anything. Either a plain text editor on laptop, or else LO Writer if I want headings etc.

I might use a spreadsheet for timelines.

If I want to check in the shop that I don't have a title, I look at a phone picture of that part of the library. I've done document, book library, video library and inventory/consumables software for others and I have two kinds of barcode scanners apart from the phone. However, nearly 35 years later I've still not even started a catalogue of my physical media.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
MarjaE
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Do you like a traditional hexagonal pencil, or one of the new-fangled triangular ones? Or perhaps you have one of those triangular rubber grips for ordinary pencils?
Either round ones or hexagonal ones.

Quote:
Standard HB, or you you prefer something softer - 2B or even 4B?
#2 or HB is fine. #2.5 or F is a bit better for me. P.S. And with pens, it's the alternately slippery and sticky ball points. Either way, I have coordination problems, have all my life, and don't expect more practice to do what years of practice in school could never do.

Quote:
And as for paper - loose, or a notebook? Laid or Wove?
In the past I've used notebooks, but so I can replace pages more easily, scan, then, and so on, I think I should go back to a binder if I can find one which is hard enough.

Quote:
Then again, I'm not a writer, so perhaps I should stay out of this.
I'm mostly doing research game writing, and looking into solo games too. So not conventional writing.

Last edited by MarjaE; 08-12-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I take handwritten notes at church. I use Pilot G-2 mechanical pencils, on half-sheet size unlined paper. My biggest challenge is finding decent paper with good "teeth". What I'm using now is a tad too slick.

I need to be able to erase, and when writing (printing) quickly I'm much neater with a pencil than a pen. Part of that is from working at a salon that used a paper schedule. You had to write small and neat, and be able to erase for schedule changes.

I may just cut and punch my own 24# paper from now on. I know I could buy decent lined paper, but lines are too restrictive. I usually fill both sides of the paper with no problems keeping the lines straight.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:41 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
So what do you find helpful when writing with pencil and paper?

I need a pencil and a hard surface to write. Usually a clipboard...
I don't use paper and pencil for much besides crossword puzzles, but my brother turned me into a mechanical pencil collector for a while – he collected for years – so I've got a bunch of them. Probably my favorite, the one I use the most, is a PaperMate Cassette Advancer Pencil 0.05mm. (Say that with one breath.) That, and a cheap Saunders "made in the U.S.A." clipboard from Walmart and I'm good to go.

I like the weight and feel of the PaperMate Advancer. For a while there were a lot of cassette mechanical pencils. Scripto, Berol, Sanford, PaperMate, Schaeffer – and probably several others – sold them. I guess the idea was that you never had to touch the lead. These were all either manufactured by (or licensed to) Kotobuki, a Japanese pen and pencil company that holds more mechanical pencil patents than any other company in the world.

https://data.epo.org/publication-ser.../document.html

You can still find these Advancers. A stationary company has been selling them for years on eBay and Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Papermate-Cas...7364593&sr=8-1

Finding the original cartridges is about impossible, but you can refill them.

What I did, though, is bought these cartridges (you won't be able to use the cap). 600 leads for about $8.50 and it's good, high quality, smooth lead. The erasers are dried up though, so you'll have to find another source for them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paper-Mate-...b341%7Ciid%3A1

The clipboard...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Saunders-...Clip/130584306

As usual, I ramble way too long on these things. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200813_170423.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	181329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200813_170706.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	992.9 KB
ID:	181330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200813_170721.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	1,013.6 KB
ID:	181331  
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I also rarely use a pencil. I'm still working my way through the cheap ball point pens I accidentally took home from the office. Maybe I should get a real pen:

https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/foun...411778572.html

And $20 off if you sign up for their newsletter; what a deal!

Last edited by hobnail; 08-13-2020 at 09:32 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:32 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I also rarely use a pencil. I'm still working my way through the cheap ball point pens I accidentally took home from the office. Maybe I should get a real pen:

https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/foun...411778572.html

And $20 off if you sign up for their newsletter; what a deal!
Yeah, but where's the matching pencil?

But $20 off if I sign up for the newsletter... hmm... that's hard to resist!
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #12
MarjaE
Guru

I would get disposable pencils and reload through the tip.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I use the pencil to press the keys, and I put the paper in the printer!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
For a good part of his writing career Piers Anthony used a piece of paper on a clipboard (with a storage area for paper) and a pencil for his first drafts. He found it easier at the time than trying to find time at the typewriter (one of his daughters was a baby at the time).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:54 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I use the pencil to press the keys, and I put the paper in the printer!
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pencil and paper, writing