Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
petcoast
petcoast began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
KBC format not working on iPad?

Hi,
I'm editing and formatting my wife's kid's picture books using KBC, which is great to use.
However, when we published the first book on Amazon it is NOT available for downloading to Kindle for iPad, as per the drop-down box.
Despite KDP's claim that it works on all Kindle devices and apps, in this case it's not so.
This is the latest reply from Amazon Support:
"I've checked our records and found that your book, 'Barney The Musical Horse' is currently not compatible on Kindle iPad application. I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused with this issue."
I would appreciate any help with this issue.
Cheers,
Peter
petcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:44 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by petcoast View Post
However, when we published the first book on Amazon it is NOT available for downloading to Kindle for iPad, as per the drop-down box.
Do you have the latest Kindle for iOS app (4.5.1) installed on your iPad and and registered with Amazon? If not, the Amazon website might not offer your book for download, because it couldn't find a compatible app.

If you do have the latest Kindle for iOS app installed and registered with Amazon, you may want to create an AZK book with Kindle Previewer, sideload it with iTunes and test it on your iPad.

(Kindle Previewer will automatically create an .AZK file if you change the device to Kindle for iPhone/iPad.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
petcoast

Hi Doitsu,

Thanks very much for your reply and suggestions.

I followed your instructions but still no luck.
I made sure I had the latest version of Kindle for iPad, I created AZK file with Previewer, synced in iTunes to Kindle, but it does not show up in Kindle app on iPad.

The file I originally created with Kindle Kids Book Creator, which was a breeze to use, is the one now in the Kindle Store, available for all Kindle devices and apps except Apple apps.
I've also asked relatives and friends who have Kindle for iPad to try to buy the book, they have also not been able to buy the book.

Amazon's documentation is contradictory on the availability of KF8 files for devices. Sometimes it states it's available for all devices and apps, in other cases it says they are rolling out availability in the next few months.
But as the documentation is not dated, I have no idea when the "next few months" might be?

I am very close to achieving my goal of publishing the book in KF8, just need the Apple apps to work and I'm there.
But I do not know how to do that, and Amazon has not been able to tell me.

Meanwhile, I guess I can publish the book in another format, doc to epub to mobi, and upload that version until KF8 is universally available.

I have another eight kid's picture books to publish on Kindle, so it would be great to find a solution.

Thanks again,
Peter
petcoast
Old 10-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Amazon's documentation is contradictory on the availability of KF8 files for devices. Sometimes it states it's available for all devices and apps, in other cases it says they are rolling out availability in the next few months.
All current eInk devices and the Fire tablets definitely support KF8 files. However, the iOS apps always lagged behind and only partially supported KF8 features, but they definitely support AZK books generated by KCB & Kindle Previewer.
(I've just created a small proof-of-concept book with KCB, side-loaded it with iTunes and had no problem opening it with the Kindle for iOS app.)
If your side-loaded AZK book isn't visible in the Kindle app, it might contain an error or an advanced KF8 feature not yet supported by the iOS app.
Did you check the console messages that are being displayed during the preview phase in the lower right corner for warnings and error messages?

Quote:
I am very close to achieving my goal of publishing the book in KF8, just need the Apple apps to work and I'm there.
IMHO, the market share of iOS apps on Apple devices is negligible compared with the market share of eInk Kindles and Fire tablets.

Last edited by Doitsu; 10-10-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
All current eInk devices and the Fire tablets definitely support KF8 files. However, the iOS apps always lagged behind and only partially supported KF8 features, but they definitely support AZK books generated by KCB & Kindle Previewer.
(I've just created a small proof-of-concept book with KCB, side-loaded it with iTunes and had no problem opening it with the Kindle for iOS app.)
If your side-loaded AZK book isn't visible in the Kindle app, it might contain an error or an advanced KF8 feature not yet supported by the iOS app.
Did you check the console messages that are being displayed during the preview phase in the lower right corner for warnings and error messages?

IMHO, the market share of iOS apps on Apple devices is negligible compared with the market share of eInk Kindles and Fire tablets.
As far as I know, all the books that we've made for FF KF8 Kids' books are available to buy on the iOS devices. Even those we made 2 years go. Now, that being said, we make ours by hand, not by using KKBC, which is far too limited for my tastes.

You must have an error in the book, or the KKBC is limited. I would suspect either or both.

And I concur with my friend Doits; the share of the iOS market for Kindle books, of any type, is very small, if not non-existent.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
petcoast

Hi Doitsu and Hitch,

Many thanks for your replies and advice.
I will do more work and see if the results are better.
However, I think the KF8 availability for Kindle app for iPad might be beyond me.

I don't know why the KF8 books can't simply be downloaded and read on an iPad without side loading via iTunes?
I may never know...

I take your point that the IOS market for Kindle books is very small, I thought perhaps that the current growth of the iPad market would be good for Kindle book sales.
If not, I may as well leave my KF8 book on Amazon for Kindle devices.

Thanks again,
Petcoast
Old 10-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
petcoast

Thank you, I have replied in a post, above this one.
Cheers,
Petcoast
Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
And I concur with my friend Doits; the share of the iOS market for Kindle books, of any type, is very small, if not non-existent.
That's not been my observation. Surveys mentioned on Digital Book Daily suggest that more people read e-books on the iPad than they do on an Amazon tablet, and that they tend to buy their books from Amazon.

That's validated by acquaintances who are (literally) giving up their print library as they move into a new house, having all three (parents and teenager) committed themselves entirely to e-books read on their iPads -- and purchased from the Kindle store.

I can't know of course what portion of my Kindle sales are to those trapped in IOS, and I do know another lady who simply cannot manage to install the Kindle app on her iPad but instead falls back to reading my e-books on the Cloud reader.

I also sell a fair number of epubs on the Apple iBookstore -- more in recent months, in fact, than I sell on Barnes & Noble.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
That's not been my observation. Surveys mentioned on Digital Book Daily suggest that more people read e-books on the iPad than they do on an Amazon tablet, and that they tend to buy their books from Amazon.

That's validated by acquaintances who are (literally) giving up their print library as they move into a new house, having all three (parents and teenager) committed themselves entirely to e-books read on their iPads -- and purchased from the Kindle store.

I can't know of course what portion of my Kindle sales are to those trapped in IOS, and I do know another lady who simply cannot manage to install the Kindle app on her iPad but instead falls back to reading my e-books on the Cloud reader.

I also sell a fair number of epubs on the Apple iBookstore -- more in recent months, in fact, than I sell on Barnes & Noble.
NJ:

Wasn't DBD's actual wording "tablets" as opposed to 'iPads?"

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kbc, kid's book creator, kindle format