Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-27-2019, 02:36 PM   #16
69carat
69carat began at the beginning.

Device: none
The only thing that kind of bother me is the asymmetric shape of the libra. I am not sure i will like it.
I looked at other model of kobo but the are pretty old now
69carat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69carat View Post
The only thing that kind of bother me is the asymmetric shape of the libra. I am not sure i will like it.
I looked at other model of kobo but the are pretty old now
IMHO the Libra is very comfortable to hold. But your mileage may vary.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:55 PM   #18
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
[ALTERNATIVE]

If you are in France, I also recommend the Pocketbook 3 HD.
- Vivlio 3 HD is often promoted on the site "Cultura" :
https://www.cultura.com/touch-hd-plu...152095535.html
* 119 euros when discounted.

- Exelente contrast (better as kobo libra H2O), very good warm light (deep orange color / light), very good explorer files, battery life.

- In addition, it can read almost any file including the file Audio (audio books) + bluetooth, buttons.
* In my opinion, Pocketbook 3 HD it is a better e-reader in "6" inch that can be found at this time on the eReader market.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-30-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #19
69carat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
[ALTERNATIVE]

If you are in France, I also recommend the Pocketbook 3 HD.
- Vivlio 3 HD is often promoted on the site "Cultura" :
https://www.cultura.com/touch-hd-plu...152095535.html
* 119 euros when discounted.

- Exelente contrast (better as kobo libra H2O), very good warm light (deep orange color / light), very good explorer files, battery life.

- In addition, it can read almost any file including the file Audio (audio books) + bluettoth, buttons.
* In my opinion, Pocketbook 3 HD it is a better e-reader in "6" inch that can be found at this time on the eReader market.
I will not be in France until December and want to purchase an ereader within a week or 2.
But yes it is a great value
Old 09-30-2019, 04:44 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I can't see why I'd want a Pocketbook 3 / Vivlio 3HD /Liseuse Touch HD plus TEA Vivlio over a 6" or 7" Kobo (better software) or a 6" Kindle (more books, and does ePub via Calibre conversion).

IMO it's only for 10" or bigger that alternatives make sense?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:11 AM   #21
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I can't see why I'd want a Pocketbook 3 / Vivlio 3HD /Liseuse Touch HD plus TEA Vivlio over a 6" or 7" Kobo (better software) or a 6" Kindle (more books, and does ePub via Calibre conversion).
Unfortunately I have to disagree.
I own both KOBO and Pocketbook.
Quote:
Kindle 6 "(plus de livres et ePub via la conversion Calibre.
- The Pocketbook already understands the ePUB format by default, it does not need books to be converted to any format that will work & Pocketbook is not an overly closed OS like KOBO or Kindle
PocketBook works with "Calibre" very well "Plug & Play" and without a problem, the same thing I can not say on the Kindle.

Kobo (with the latest Update) and Kindle have faster, more reactive OSs. It is true. But the forest is debatable.

1) Can KOBO or KINDLE work with PDF formats, do functions like "reflow,
Cropping of page
" and so on? Neither KOBO nor KINDLE can handle PDF correctly, and offers no other features (only zoom). Pocketbook is unbeatable.
2) I would also like to mention the "file manager" which is very well executed on the Pocketbook against Kobo or Kidle. Show folders by format (epub, mobi, pdf et)
3) Can KOBO device has a bluetooth and can read Audio-books?
*Some Kindle features do not work in other states and you need to be in the country how "US", or you can use some features in English only, and that's a good half of all the features that Kindle offers.
4) Does Kobo or Kindle allow you to scroll through two open documents / books?
5) Can KOBO or Kindle "text-to-speech" TTS? Kindle can do it only in English.
*In addition, kindle SW only works in English speaking countries. Some features like read statistics only work with KEPUB formats.

- Luckily, there are a crew / bunch of people (geek1001 etc) working on a "PATCH" packages Kobo Developer's Corner.
If these "modifies some items" packages were not, I would really hesitate to buy KOBO..
In fact, I use 80% more the "Koreader" as a KOBO reader

Before, I used "KOBO Forma" on which PDFs were absolutely unusable. Then I went to the Pocketbook Inkpad 3 "7.8" which has an adequate "read-in" function to read a PDF document that offers professional e-Reads (eNotes) like Onyx BOOX, Likebook etc

PS : All readers have some minor flaws, there are is no 100% best,t, but I certainly would not call Pocketbook as worse.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-30-2019 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Correcting: PATCH (ajustement) and not correction
Old 09-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Nothing reliably reflows PDFs.
Almost all the PDFs I have are really old books & magazines and thus scans. You need 10" to 13" screen.
Kobo reads epub and can be used for scanned PDFs that are usable on the size screen you buy.
Bluetooth and audiobooks are irrelevant for an eink ereader. I have a phone with a choice of audiobook players as well as regular music.
Text to speech is poor and for partially sighted. Audiobooks where available do it better. I've Text to Speech on the Kindle Keyboard, I had it on the DXG and it works via a €6 USB dongle on PW3 (Additional FW dl needed from Amazon). It's pointless unless my eyesight gets bad. Audio books are far better and don't need expensive bulky eink ereaders.

So your list is biased. Also a 7.8" ereader will work far better than 6" anyway (see earlier comment). I have used tools to remove margins from some fixed format PDFs.

PDF is a PAGE description format. Attempts to read on a device smaller than original page size at a legible size are usually doomed. You need 10" or larger tablet or electronic paper type products, not kludges on an ereader.

Needing a file manager on an ereader suggests a failure of library software. I've 1800 ebooks and don't need a file manager.

The Pocketbook, Lifebook, Boox etc do not get good overall reviews.

If you are simply reading novels, you don't need any patches or 3rd party things on a Kobo or Kindle. Calibre is recommended for ANY make of ereader to convert, fix formats, backup and organise. Or to have a cheap Kindle for Amazon and read on a Kobo. Sadly Amazon has 90% ebook market and the biggest range. Hence I have a Kindle though I read on the Kobo Aura H2O.
I have six eink ereaders today (four brands) and have had two other brands and 4 other models of Kindle (all but one of those 6 passed to other family members).
I used to write Document management software.
I have thousands of PDF manuals, service info and datasheets as well as hundreds of "out of copyright" (Public Domain) scanned magazines & books, almost all unsuitable for smaller eink. Unless you can read the original page on one screen without change, then you haven't got a PDF solution.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Unfortunately I have to disagree.
I own both KOBO and Pocketbook.

- The Pocketbook already understands the ePUB format by default, it does not need books to be converted to any format that will work & Pocketbook is not an overly closed OS like KOBO or Kindle.
PocketBook works with "Calibre" very well "Plug & Play" and without a problem, the same we can not rist about the Kindle
Kobo works very well with Calibre. You can even manage collections for Kobo. Plus, there are other pluginns for Kobo such as the Kobo Extended Driver is you want to read using kepub. And there is Kobo Utilities for doing a lot of things including auto-backups. Kobo is not closed.

[quiote]Kobo (with the latest Update) and Kindle have faster, more reactive OSs. It is true. But the forest is debatable.

1) Can KOBO or KINDLE work with PDF formats, do functions like "reflow,
Cropping of page.
" and so on? Neither KOBO nor KINDLE can handle PDF correctly, and offers no other features (only zoom). Pocketbook is unbeatable.
2) As Kobo or Kindle as good file manager as Pocketbook? No, Pocketbook is much better on this - Show folders by format (epub, mobi, pdf et)
3) Can KOBO device has a bluetooth and can read Audio-books?
*Some Kindle features do not work in other states and you need to be in the country how "US", or you can use some features in English only, and that's a good half of all the features that Kindle offers.
4) Does Kobo or Kindle allow you to scroll through two open documents / books?
5) Can KOBO or Kindle "text-to-speech" TTS? Kindle can do it only in English.
*In addition, kindle SW only works in English speaking countries. Some features like read statistics only work with KEPUB formats.[/quote]

1.A 6" Reader is worthless for PDF. It doesn't matter how good the software is. It just doesn't work.

2. Yes, Pocketbook is better with directory support.

3. No Bluetooth for Kobo. But I don't want Kobo to play audiobooks. My Reader is for reading. If I want to play audiobooks, I have other equipment I can use such as my iPhone.

4. Kobo and Kindle do not allow two open files at the same time.

5. Kobo cannot do TTS.

Quote:
- Luckily, there are a crew / bunch of people (geek1001 etc)working on a correction packages Kobo Developer's Corner.
If these repair packages were not, I would really hesitate to buy KOBO..
In fact, I use 80% more the "Koreader" as a KOBO reader

Before, I used "KOBO Forma" on which PDFs were absolutely unusable. Then I went to the Pocketbook Inkpad 3 "7.8" which has an adequate "read-in" function to read a PDF document that offers professional e-Reads (eNotes) like Onyx BOOX, Likebook etc

PS : All readers have some minor flaws, there are 100% the best, but I certainly would not call Pocketbook as worse.
The patches are not correction packages. They are modifications/enhancements. There are very few patches for the current 4.17.x to correct bugs. Only one is listed as correcting a bug and it's not really a bug that's being corrected. So please don't spread false information like this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #24
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Quote:
Kobo works very well with Calibre. You can even manage collections for Kobo.
I wrote nothing about Calibre not working properly with KOBO. So please do not answer false information about me that I did not say, please.
* I use Calibre everyday for my KOBO device and for converting format to kepub.

Quote:
But I don't want Kobo to play audiobooks. My Reader is for reading. If I want to play audiobooks, I have other equipment I can use such as my iPhone.
These are your personal preferences. I don't really care.
* The world does not just turn only around you.

Quote:
Only one is listed as correcting a bug and it's not really a bug that's being corrected. So please don't spread false information like this.
My English is not good(for this so I added this information to my profile), it was enough to clarify or fix it, not write it in such a way and look for problems where they are not.
At international forums, some things aren't written correctly, normal people can have some kind of understanding, leniency, which will probably not be your case, which I unfortunately several times in the local forum could convince.
*It will probably depend on everyone's personality and good manners. I wrote it incorrectly, unfortunately it happened, you are right, I am not angry with you. But to deal with it in such a degree I personally find it exaggerated.

Correcting: PATCH (adjustment) and not correction
*I hope this gross mistake did not harm any visitor, both on physical and mental health..

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-30-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #25
69carat

So last night I finally decided to go with the kobo libra h2o. I should receive it later today ( thanks to Walmart next day deliveries
I will download caliber and start understanding better what do patches , and how to customize my kobo.
Also, I have few books downloaded on Amazon that I need to convert to Epub now
Sometime I wonder If I will read more with the e Reader or just play with the upgrade ?! Lol
Old 09-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
When I get a new ereader, I always spend a couple of days playing, customizing, organizing (both with the device and in Calibre). When I get a reader I haven't had before (Nook and Kobo) the tinkering can take almost a week. I still haven't finished setting up my Libra, which I got on Thursday (mostly Calibre work now). So you're not alone.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:22 PM   #27
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69carat View Post
Also, I have few books downloaded on Amazon that I need to convert to Epub now
- You can. But if you want to format books, there is also KePUB.
- According to your preferences, some users prefer ePUB.
*If I'm not mistaken, you need to use the KePUB format to display the functions as well as read statistics.
Personally I prefer KePub with its reading stats, the options in the page number display and the chapter chart ( I find this very useful). I wish KePub had better typographic support but it's only with certain fonts.

- You can use plug-in extention such as:
Then go to Preferences → Change Caliber Behavior and then on the screen below → "Extensions" :
KePub Metadata Reader
KePub Metadata Writer

(I forgot to add too Plugins : KePub Input / KePub output)
* The ePUB format will of course work on KOBO too. You can try both formats and then choose the one that suits you best

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-30-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
- You can. But if you want to format books, I would think about the format KePUB
- According to your preferences, some users prefer ePUB..
* I'm not mistaken, you need to use the KePUB format to view reading statistics.
Personally I prefer KePub with its reading stats, the options in the page number display and the chapter chart (this one in particular I find very useful). I wish KePub had better typographic support but it's only with certain fonts.

(You can try both formats and then choose the one that suits you best ;-)).

- You can use plug-in extention such as:
Then go to Preferences → Change Caliber Behavior and then on the screen below → "Extensions" :
KePub Metadata Reader
KePub Metadata Writer

* The ePUB format will of course work on KOBO too.
It's actually better to use the Kobo Touch Extended Driver for Calibre to convert to kepub. That way you can convert when it's sent to your Kobo rather then convert and have an extra file taking up disk space. And doing it with the Extended Driver, the ePub doesn't get a full conversion. It just gets the code added to to it to make it into a kepub file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #29
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

I did not know that I could use the "Kobo Touch Extended" also for devices like Kobo Libra H2O . I will definitely try. Thanks.
PS: Installed (V3.1.5 from Joel Goguel), works.
(I forgot to add too Plugins : KePub Input / KePub output).

- It has some importance (useful) to install the extension for Kobo Libra H2O as well"Kobo Utilities"?

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-30-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:23 PM   #30
69carat

Since it is my first reader i will not say no for advices. Thank you for your help !

I will definetly look into it ! Actually so much work to do before to use my Kobo ...

I will try both Kepub and Epub to check the differences.
Do you know if I can store books on my google drive and convert them from there ?