Notices

Old 09-26-2014, 06:23 AM   #1
venik212
venik212 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite, or calibre on linux
Problem with calibre dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
No special plugin required. If viewing in calibre's viewer, highlight the word, right click (ctrl-L) and select Lookup in dictionary.
I use that method on Windows 8.1, and it USED to work. However, when I try it now, I get some chinese-looking characters, rather than a definition of the word that I highlighted.
Calibre needs to have a place in the settings which determines which dictionary is beiing used.

Calibre 2.4, Windows 8.1, google chrome or firefox-- all latest versions.
venik212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by venik212 View Post
I use that method on Windows 8.1, and it USED to work. However, when I try it now, I get some chinese-looking characters, rather than a definition of the word that I highlighted.
Calibre needs to have a place in the settings which determines which dictionary is beiing used.

Calibre 2.4, Windows 8.1, google chrome or firefox-- all latest versions.
The books Language Metadata is used to determine which dictionary/spell check to use.

Calibre Standard (Default install) Dictionaries are in the Resources/Dictionaries folder

User Dictionaries are kept in the same relative place in the configuration folder
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The books Language Metadata is used to determine which dictionary/spell check to use.

Calibre Standard (Default install) Dictionaries are in the Resources/Dictionaries folder

User Dictionaries are kept in the same relative place in the configuration folder
@theducks - I think OP is referring to the dictionary web site used by the viewer when you a highlight word and press ctrl/L - mine goes to Wordnik for English and Wiktionary for French.

@venik212 - when you press ctrl/l what dictionary site does it open, and is it all books or just one - I'm guessing that the language as defined in the EPUB would determine which dictionary site is used.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-26-2014 at 04:42 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Indeed the language in the books metadata controls the dictionary website that is used.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
doxallday
Web Crawler
doxallday doesn't litterdoxallday doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@theducks - I think OP is referring to the dictionary web site used by the viewer when you a highlight word and press ctrl/L - mine goes to Wordnik for English and Wiktionary for French.

@venik212 - when you press ctrl/l what dictionary site does it open, and is it all books or just one - I'm guessing that the language as defined in the EPUB would determine which dictionary site is used.

BR
That is precisely what I am facing, and interested to know more about, as well. I would like to customize, if possible, what website is used for the query.

PS: Kovid Goyal, I hereby would like to thank you for the wonderful creation you have brought to life that is Calibre. Thusly, a humble donation has departed.
doxallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Fixed: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...45cfa1994f0d7f

Thanks Kovid!

(This fix will be in the next release of calibre, which is usually every Friday.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
doxallday
Web Crawler
doxallday doesn't litterdoxallday doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Fixed: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...45cfa1994f0d7f

Thanks Kovid!

(This fix will be in the next release of calibre, which is usually every Friday.)
Fantabulous! Can't wait for the update. Thanks for sharing the news.
doxallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxallday View Post
Fantabulous! Can't wait for the update. Thanks for sharing the news.
You're welcome.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
venik212
venik212 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite, or calibre on linux
wrnog dictionary

It only happened with one book, so I assume that its metadata were corrupted.
Calibre is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
venik212 is offline   Reply With Quote