Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #46
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Setite, thanks for the pictures! It does not look like you have the bright light strip in the left hand corner - I can see it being brighter, but not too bad. Your bright trianglish shaped light blotch also does not seem too bright. I am hoping my replacement will be like this.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #47
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for sharing the pics, setite! Very nice screen, I'm glad you got a good one.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #48
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by setite View Post
To help I just took a bunch of photos.
If my Kindle looks like yours, I will be VERY happy!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #49
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Mine has the same lighting/shading issue on the bottom as most of the pictures show. But I obviously got a good one because it is pretty minor and does not bother me at all. I have had a few lighting situations - both in rooms with both natural light and a lamp on - where I was able to adjust the light level to make the screen look like a white unlit background with no shadows. Pretty amazing to see - but unfortunately it is not a condition that seems easy to duplicate.
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #50
setite
Enthusiast
setite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
The issue at the bottom is called backlight bleed. Though I understand the kindle is meant to be edge-lit. While I notice it if I look for it, even at full brightness in a dark room I don't notice it AT ALL when I am reading. As good as my kindle is, I'm actually getting it replaced for what looks like a few stuck pixels in the lighting, lower left on edge. The problem is one I could live with, but I panicked on day one
setite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #51
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
The issue at the bottom is called backlight bleed. Though I understand the kindle is meant to be edge-lit. While I notice it if I look for it, even at full brightness in a dark room I don't notice it AT ALL when I am reading.
Same here. I'm only "aware" of it because of reading about it. Otherwise, it just doesn't bother me, maybe because I expected the LEDs to shine from the edge. Next to my Sony 700, this thing is pretty close to perfect.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #52
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I'm fully satisfied with my Paperwhite and really don't care what others say about it.

I still think most folks are just being too picky about minor issues.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #53
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Ehhhh.... people have the right to be picky at $140.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #54
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I'm fully satisfied with my Paperwhite and really don't care what others say about it.

I still think most folks are just being too picky about minor issues.
Unless you can "see" the issue in person with your own eyes, how can you call them minor. Maybe your eyes are less color sensitive. I see my issues with and without my glasses.

When you have had issues in the past (non-lighted cover) you were very vocal about the problem. Why are you trying to downplay or dismiss a problem others are having just because your PW arrived in good working order?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #55
setite
Enthusiast
setite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughing

The issue I have is minor, but I don't trust that it would stay minor. I don't know how the problem manifested in the first place, so I am scared that the problem could be degenerative. Though I bought the extended warranty, so I should have just waited 20 months and leveraged a trade up to the next model. Ah well.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #56
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Unless you can "see" the issue in person with your own eyes, how can you call them minor. Maybe your eyes are less color sensitive. I see my issues with and without my glasses.
I feel for you all. I remember when I got my K4S and had many tell me it was all in my eyes. That it was the bezel, light I was using. I even was told to buy a lamp or change lighting. There's a very long thread here with me arguing back and forth with people who refuse to accept that Amazon has Quality Control issues. It was so bad that people were PMing in private for advice because they were afraid to post. So I know how y'all feel.

I was shocked Amazon has QC issues in a eReader they worked years on. I am also happy that Amazon fixed the QC issues with the K4 finally. So I do have hope come next year when a new lighted reader comes out that it will be fixed.

I think people need to email the head guy himself with complaints. So the tech department can't sweep it under the rug.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #57
setite
Enthusiast

So I got my replacement Kindle today. It's actually better than my current one! Not only is it free of any backlight damage, it is a significantly different color temperature. My original KPW with the backlight pixel issues has a much colder, almost blueish cast. I'd be interested if anyone who has compared one to another noticed this. Perhaps people with more noticeable backlight bleed or issues have noted colder colors. The new Kindle's coloring makes the backlighting less obvious, it looks like high contrast paper, but I couldn't tell if it was backlit at first. I had to tinker with the brightness to be sure.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #58
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
So I got my replacement Kindle today. It's actually better than my current one! Not only is it free of any backlight damage, it is a significantly different color temperature. My original KPW with the backlight pixel issues has a much colder, almost blueish cast. I'd be interested if anyone who has compared one to another noticed this. Perhaps people with more noticeable backlight bleed or issues have noted colder colors. The new Kindle's coloring makes the backlighting less obvious, it looks like high contrast paper, but I couldn't tell if it was backlit at first. I had to tinker with the brightness to be sure.
The text in those pics look very light grey is that how it is really is or just the camera?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #59
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Those pics make me want one again. I am thinking of waiting till they are Best Buy and actually get one from there. It will be a first for me but would probably save me alot of hassle in case I get a bad one.
Blossom,
Amazon is very good on returns, hassle free.

Mine is coming October 25, I can't wait!!!
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #60
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
The issue I have is minor, but I don't trust that it would stay minor. I don't know how the problem manifested in the first place, so I am scared that the problem could be degenerative. Though I bought the extended warranty, so I should have just waited 20 months and leveraged a trade up to the next model. Ah well.
Do you mean the extended warranty gives you "leverage" to trade up with Amazon? Confused
new is offline   Reply With Quote