Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
BN says Nook line is its best selling ever -- neglects to release the numbers

I sense a trend.

Also, why A leader, and not THE leader?

Quote:
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world’s largest bookseller, today announced that with millions of NOOK eReading devices sold, the line has become the company’s biggest bestseller ever in its nearly 40-year history. The new NOOKcolor Reader’s Tablet, introduced just eight weeks before Christmas, is the company’s number one selling gift of the holiday season. Barnes & Noble also announced that it now sells more digital books than its large and growing physical book business on BN.com, the world’s second largest online bookstore. With its growth across device and NOOKbook™ sales over the critical holiday selling season, Barnes & Noble has successfully established itself as a leader in digital reading.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
WSJ:

Quote:
Barnes & Noble said Thursday sales of the color version of its e-reader--introduced in October--have continued to exceed its expectations. It also said it now sells more digital books than it does physical ones on its website, further evidence of consumers' growing preference for media distributed digitally.
Does it sell more digital than physical in its stores?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
hmmm what are the normal lines used when Amazon releases a similar statement....

"Its all marketing 101 BS"

"The sheep will buy the device because BN is making it sound like they sold a ton"

"Just tell us the real numbers. This is all BS"

Or my favorite

"Why does BN have to steal Amazon's thunder. Amazon released a similar statement before BN. Why couldn't they wait a few days?"

I know I am missing a few of the standard replies but I figure someone can chime in with them.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Also, why A leader, and not THE leader?
Because Amazon hasn't tipped its hand, so B&N can't be sure.

It's been pretty obvious all along that these companies are all desperately trying to seek an advantage in numbers. Look how they manipulate the number of books they report in their respective libraries.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I sense a trend.
So do I and it's making me want to smack them all.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I love it. They can effectively equate their success with Amazon's. Touché

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
hmmm what are the normal lines used when Amazon releases a similar statement....

"Its all marketing 101 BS"

"The sheep will buy the device because BN is making it sound like they sold a ton"

"Just tell us the real numbers. This is all BS"

Or my favorite

"Why does BN have to steal Amazon's thunder. Amazon released a similar statement before BN. Why couldn't they wait a few days?"

I know I am missing a few of the standard replies but I figure someone can chime in with them.
ahhh well played ProfCrash, well played indeed

I would be disingenous if I didn't put BN to the same task, yes it's not any different with BN, it's still just a marketing ploy etc etc.

but the difference is we know it's a marketing ploy, unlike all the Kindle owners who read Amazon's press release and then get all wide and dreamy eyed like teenage girls around David Cassidy ( am I showing my age) and start fawning over Amazon like they're some God or something

"Ohhhh Jeff Bezo's your my hero" " Ohhhhhh Amazon, you're the best" 'ohhhhh The KINDLE RULES AND KILLS EVEYTHING, YEAH GO KINDLE"

"Nothing is better than Kindle, look at the sales"

its enough to make you want to puke.

I and others just like come in and splash a little cold water over you hypnotized Kindle cult members and just point out its all marketing, now go take a cold shower:

that's all.

Last edited by boswd; 12-30-2010 at 01:55 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ohhh now I am amember of a cult. Awesome. I always wanted to be.

Or I could just be happy with my e-reader and bookstore and happily will share my joy with others.

Damn, now I am starting to understand what the folks who like Apple products go through. hmmm who would have thunk...
Old 12-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
...all wide eyed like teenage girls around David Cassidy...
He was a hottie!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
He was a hottie!
who? (winks)
Old 12-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
He was a hottie!
Ohhhhh Amazon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/da...sidy_06-01.jpg

Last edited by boswd; 12-30-2010 at 01:53 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
This is what jumped out at me from the press release:
Quote:
The company also reported record holiday sales from its comprehensive two-million-title catalog, including nearly one million NOOKbooks purchased and downloaded on Christmas Day alone.
I guess they really did get hammered on Christmas day.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you having fun? these are getting old
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Silly!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #15
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I love this part:
Quote:
Barnes & Noble also announced that it now sells more digital books than its large and growing physical book business on BN.com, the world’s second largest online bookstore.
Of course they do! Their physical book business is in their physical stores. As to the rest, you can sell three e-books a year and claim to be a leader in the biz.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote