Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #31
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Have you tried deleting the libX11 in the lib folder of emelFM2? I tested with the same app, and with that deleted, it seems to refresh perfectly.
I made a mistake. I didn't edit src of emelfm2 to add #include "xepdmgrclient.h".
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #32
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I made a mistake. I didn't edit src of emelfm2 to add #include "xepdmgrclient.h".
Including xepdmgrclient.h (land linking with xepdmgrclient.o) is only necessary if you want to fine-tune from the program the refreshes using the API in that file. For the general case, there is no need for that file.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #33
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
And at least one bug related to the timer... on my laptop Refresh is called 200 times per second while the cycle is set to 500 ms...

Back to the drawing board...
The code for calculating time deltas might have bugs, then (xepdmgr has been done very hastily but better that than not having nothing published to test this idea ).

I write it down as another known bug (hoping it's squashed soon...).
Old 10-04-2008, 04:32 AM   #34
rosrog
rosrog began at the beginning.

Device: iliad 2nd edition
Hello , Adam, Antartica, all you great guys, could anyone guide me on how to change the firmware_SCRIPT of the iliad 2v from 2.11 to 2.12. I'm trying to install minimo for web browsing. Thanks in advance.
rosrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #35
Antartica
Evangelist

Verion 1.3 of xepdmgr

Hi!

Attached is version 1.3 of xepdmgr. I've hopefully fixed the multiple tracked areas bugs (and set the number of tracked areas to a very conservative 2). I've also fixed the help message.

I've been unable to reproduce the bug with the timeouts that Hansel was experiencing :-?.

Hansel: Can you test if the timeout problem does occur also in the iliad? (launch xepdmgr from a ssh session...) OTOH, do you have some special kernel in your laptop (i.e. tickless?).

Adam: Can you test if the refresh problem you were experiencing goes away? Thanks.

Waiting feedback O:-). Thank you very very much for all your testing .
Attached Files
File Type: gz xepdmgr-1.3-iliad.tar.gz (66.8 KB, 496 views)
Old 10-05-2008, 04:06 AM   #36
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
okidoki

Antartica: 1.3 works fine!
- locally on my laptop,
- xepdmgr on laptop, display iliad:0.
- locally on iliad

Nice Work!

to All: performance aspects when porting:
- when the display does'nt change -> no cpu usage!
- when I have a blinking cursor in my app, the screen updates (typing) cause displayMgr to eat 45% cpu. ==> disable cursor blinking if you can!
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #37
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

virtual keyboard info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
This is a known issue. I wonder if xepdmgr could be disabled when the keyboard is up
It is possible for xepdmgr to ignore damage events from the virtual keyboard. the attached file contains code to detect if the keyboard is displayed. If so, it returns it's position and size.
The keyboard is found by searching for a window with the appropriate class:
Code:
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "ereaderim", "Matchbox-keyboard"
Happy Hacking!
Attached Files
File Type: gz kbdcheck.cpp.gz (862 Bytes, 558 views)
Old 10-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #38
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
It is possible for xepdmgr to ignore damage events from the virtual keyboard. the attached file contains code to detect if the keyboard is displayed.
Wow Hansel! You're not wasting time, eh?

I know how to receive events on new windows and window destruction, so this code would be attached there.

When I decide how to handle the "don't care" area (that ism how to discard the part of rectangles that use this ignored area), I'll post a new version of xepdmgr with this :-).
Old 10-06-2008, 02:55 AM   #39
hansel
JSR FFD2

Quote:
Wow Hansel! You're not wasting time, eh?
This depends a bit on your views about time and about wasting, but if you like puzzles and it's raining outside...
Quote:
I know how to receive events on new windows and window destruction, so this code would be attached there.
Maybe it's enough to call the keyboard check in the time loop. It's not expensive (in terms of cpu usage). Be aware that the keyboard can move itself... I'll experiment with this when I have some more playtime...
Old 10-23-2008, 01:41 AM   #40
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

I have a problem of redirecting output under xepdmgr.
I want to print output of myapp to a file, not that of xepdmgr. But with this shell command:./xepdmgr :0 ./myapp 2>&1 > out.msg, I can only catch output of xepdmgr. Of course, I can create a FILE descriptor and fprintf all output to that file. I just want to know if I can do it with proper shell command. Thanx.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:22 AM   #41
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
I have a problem of redirecting output under xepdmgr.
I want to print output of myapp to a file, not that of xepdmgr. But with this shell command:./xepdmgr :0 ./myapp 2>&1 > out.msg, I can only catch output of xepdmgr. Of course, I can create a FILE descriptor and fprintf all output to that file. I just want to know if I can do it with proper shell command. Thanx.
No, it's not doable with a shell command. You will have to set-up a intermediate script that does the dumping to a file and call that script with xepdmgr:

$ cat /dev/tty > myapp.sh
#!/bin/sh
exec ./myapp 2>&1 >out.msg
^D
$ chmod 755 myapp.sh
$ xepdmgr :0 ./myapp.sh

And you will have the output of your program in out.msg

But you have raised a valid point. I will include in the next version of xepdmgr support for a "-q" command-line flag to make it "quiet" (don't output messages to stdout/stderr).
Old 10-23-2008, 05:10 AM   #42
ericshliao
Guru

Thanx. But it doesn't work. I can't start myapp.
I used a script run.sh to call myapp.sh, so that I can run it from contentlister.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:22 AM   #43
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Thanx. But it doesn't work. I can't start myapp.
I used a script run.sh to call myapp.sh, so that I can run it from contentlister.
It could be a typo, or a problem with relative paths; certainly that approach should work.

Try with:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/path/to/myapp/myapp 2>err.log >out.log
I've also simplified the script to be in the safe side (no exec, no redirection to open fd).
Old 10-24-2008, 01:39 AM   #44
ericshliao
Guru

Thanx, Antartica.
I still can't get stdout print to out.log. stderr is ok. There must be something wrong with my script.

Anyway, this is a shell script probelm, not a problem of xepdmgr. I decide to hard-code stdout and stderr redirect and control it by command line option.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:07 PM   #45
ericshliao
Guru

I just found a flickering probelm, which might has something to do with pthread.
I wrote a viewer to display image contained in GtkViewport. If the image is larger than screen, the viewport will be scrollable. In the meantime, a pthread is created to load next image in background. The pthread routine is simple. It just loads a image file to GdkPixbuf , no GUI is affected.
The problem is:
when I scroll viewport, the screen will refresh two times in a second, even thoug the first refresh has already displayed a correct image. That is, the second refresh is redundant.
If I disable preload next image, no flicker will occur.
Besides, flickering only occurs when scrolling viewport. There is no flickering when switching between image files.
I am not sure if it's caused by xepdmgr or by GTK+.

Added:
It seems that the first refresh only display the intermediate, not the final position. For example, the viewport is designed to display the right most part of a image file, then scroll to display the left most part. Sometimes, the first refresh display the part between rightmost and leftmost. But, most of the time, the first refresh already scroll to the left most part.

Added Part 2:
Sorry to make things confusing. I made some mistake. Flickering occurred between shifting from one image to another image, not when scrolling viewport within a image.

Last edited by ericshliao; 11-15-2008 at 06:20 AM.