Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
oscarino
oscarino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Wall charger for Kindle 3

Hallo,
I own a Kindle 3. It requires 5.0VDC and 0.85 A to charge.
I do not want to buy Amazon's wall charger, it is expensive.
I have an ipod charger that outputs 5.0 VDC and 1 A.
Do you think I can use it to charge my Kindle 3 without any damage?
Thanks a lot.
oscarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
robkat
Connoisseur
robkat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
I thought the wall plug that is boxed with Kindle 3 was for charging? Or are you talking about something completely different?
robkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
fallsauce
fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.

I assume Oscarino is outside the US?

My ipod charger says:
input: AC 100-240V
50-60 Hz
AC Input: 0.15A Max
Output 5V [line and dash symbol] 1A

Is this the same as yours? (ipod chargers should all be the same since you just change the plug, right?)

Anyway, I just tried before and it worked (light was amber). I only tried for about 5 seconds since I didn't really need to charge it, but I think it should be okay... Don't think the kindle'll explode... lol
fallsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
jgumphress
Connoisseur
jgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The iPod/iPhone wall charger works perfectly. I use one, as well as my Motorola Droid charger. Now days manufacturers are finaly getting with the program and making thing compatible.
jgumphress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgumphress View Post
Now days manufacturers are finaly getting with the program and making thing compatible.
For the Kindle it doesn't matter and it will work with pretty much any decent USB charger.

For other devices whether it is compatible or not with a given USB adapter depends on how intelligent or picky the device is. There is a way of doing very basic identification of the charger by how 2 of the 4 pins in USB are wired up. Some devices will refuse to charge if it doesn't see that identification or if its the wrong type. These are generally things like phones and devices like the iPad or iPod.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Starman
Starman began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkat View Post
I thought the wall plug that is boxed with Kindle 3 was for charging?
Oddly Amazon don't supply a mains USB charger in the US like they do with the UK model.
Starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
The Kindle that I received in Canada had a wall plug USB converter included. It is the only way that they can say that you don't need a computer to use the device. I am guessing as well that the OP would have to buy an adapter for European or another country.

Any adapter that puts out 5 VDC with at least 500 mA will be fine as that is the standard USB output.
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman View Post
Oddly Amazon don't supply a mains USB charger in the US like they do with the UK model.
Are you actually in the US? The box contents varies depending on where the Kindle is being delivered to. If you order a Kindle from the US store and get it shipped to a US address then you'll get a USB charger. Some countries don't get the charger even though they ordered from the US store.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3 charge