Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Non-English Discussions > Deutsches Forum > Erste Hilfe

Notices

Old 07-04-2017, 06:56 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Help with next ebook please

I've started work on Christopher Columbus by Elizabeth von Arnim for the MR library. The book was published in 1919, and is about adolescent twin orphan girls who had an English mother and a Prussian father, and have been sent to America. They share a cabin with two German women, with whom they do not get on well.

Earlier in the book they are described as not having the appearance of Prussians.

The two German women are talking about the girls:

Ja, ja, die hat Rasse.

Gewiss,...bis auf der Nase. Die Nase aber entfremdet mich. Die ist keine echte Junkernase.

I can get the general idea, but I can't put it into English words, and would appreciate any help.

Last edited by AlexBell; 07-04-2017 at 08:27 PM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
"Yes, yes, she has class."
"Certainly,... except for the nose. But the nose puts me off. It is not a true Junker's nose."

Or something thereabouts. "Rasse" is such a loaded term with so many connotations, but the term here is used positively to signify someone of nobility/good breed/good ancestry, or otherwise "good stock". And I'm not sure that "put off" has quite the right amount of arrogant snootiness to it. :-P
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks again. It makes sense to me now.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks again. It makes sense to me now.
Not for me!

I must confess, that I never heard the word Junkernase before. Now what is this? Does it refer to lower prussian nobility? Or to nobility in common??
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:18 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

In the context it seems to mean 'Junker nose'. There is mention earlier that the twins' noses were not the hooked noses expected of Prussian nobility. The book was published in 1919, so both the English and the German was that of nearly a century ago.
Advert