Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 04-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Given that they seem to be demonstrating a functioning device, I'm not inclined to think it will be a case of vaporware.
Oh, the device exists. It's a stock Netronix design that they'll take orders for from anyone who meets the minimum quantity.

Quote:
I imagine that backers will likely get a device.
They probably will, at least I hope so. Still when a site started out as a pirate book site one always has to wonder and question.

Quote:
My biggest hope is that Kobo or somebody else will take notice of the demand for such a device and put out one truly worthy of the price tag.
We haven't seen the level of demand for Kobo to take notice. You'd need orders in the thousands.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I found the FCC paperwork:
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...d=NOIKB-ED0Q02
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Very interesting. The manual is very preliminary and focus is on its use as a tablet for taking notes, although eBook reading is mentioned.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #19
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They probably will, at least I hope so. Still when a site started out as a pirate book site one always has to wonder and question.
Yup. One of the reasons why I haven't become a backer. That's a little too much money for me to take a gamble on despite being very interested in such a device.

Quote:
We haven't seen the level of demand for Kobo to take notice. You'd need orders in the thousands.
Actually, although the current number of backers for this device is not huge, it does show that there is a substantial demand for such a product.

Consider
- the very questionable reputation of the people organizing the campaign

- the fact that there has been next to zero money spent on advertising

- the videos which they have uploaded raise more questions than they answer

- the flow of videos has mysteriously stopped since they invited more questions and promised more videos a week ago

- they are actively ignoring certain questions

- the meager specs of the device on offer

- the questionable after purchase service that will be offered

- the fact that you can't walk into a local store and try out a display model first

- the fact that backers will likely have to assume shipping charges if something goes wrong with their device (assuming, of course, that they are really offered any meaningful warranty)

All things considered, it is quite remarkable that they have managed to attract so many backers in such a short period of time. Imagine what the response would be like if a reputable firm were to put out a quality product...
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #20
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Very interesting. The manual is very preliminary and focus is on its use as a tablet for taking notes, although eBook reading is mentioned.
The strange thing is that, if they are focusing on note taking, one would have thought that they might have made the device so that you could use it with an external keyboard whether via usb or bluetooth. That doesn't seem to be the case. All that screen real estate would make it perfect for that. Very odd.
Advert
Old 04-07-2016, 01:02 AM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The strange thing is that, if they are focusing on note taking, one would have thought that they might have made the device so that you could use it with an external keyboard whether via usb or bluetooth. That doesn't seem to be the case. All that screen real estate would make it perfect for that. Very odd.
The are focused on using the included pen to take notes.

Dale
Old 04-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #22
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
The are focused on using the included pen to take notes.
I get that. And taking notes by hand is a wonderful function to have. And the 13.3 inch screen makes note taking by hand much easier. That is something which really appeals to me.

However, being able to take extended notes using an external keyboard would greatly enhance a device's utility. You could then presumably copy and paste your typed notes elsewhere between other programs. That's not so easy with handwritten notes. Also, many people can type faster than they can write by hand. So having that function would make it a more appealing device to people who wish to use it for other purposes than primarily reading.

Although I can attach an external keyboard to my 7 inch tablet, the virtual keyboard still pops up. The external keyboard works, but because the virtual keyboard is also there, it limits what you can see as you type. Having a 13.3 inch screen would largely eliminate such problems making it more appealing.

Interestingly, they have just released an update to their campaign saying that they are trying to get a proper usb host controller system working on their device for just this reason.

Let's see whether they can or not. If they are able to do so, I suspect there will be more interest in the device. It will be interesting to see if this is just a ploy to get more backers or if this is something which they can deliver on.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #23
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Vaporware ahoi.

I'm sorry for all those guys who have 'invested' in that ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #24
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Vaporware ahoi.

I'm sorry for all those guys who have 'invested' in that ...
Given that they are actually demoing a "functioning" device in their videos, I think there is a reasonable chance that backers will get a device. Unless, of course, they happen to be complete scam artists which could well be the case.

However, assuming that they are not complete scam artists and that they can actually deliver on the device, I suspect the device, as it currently stands, will disappoint.

Why else would the videos have suddenly stopped? It has been more than two weeks since they invited more questions on their product and spoke of the frequency with which they are releasing videos. In that time, they have released one 48 second video which didn't reveal anything new nor answer any of the questions which have been asked.

Why would they stop with the videos, especially if they want to drum up support to meet their stretch goals?

My guess is that the device is very underwhelming. I suspect it will be able to do some of the things claimed such as being able to browse the internet and play games. Just exceedingly slowly. So much so that it would make it frustrating to try. That's why I don't browse the internet with my Kobo Aura even though I can. It's nice having the capability to do it in a pinch, but it's not pleasant.

They have already said that the stock reader on the device is woefully inadequate and they are currently looking into other options. However, in one of their first videos, they mentioned that they were demoing the final product, not a prototype. They are also now looking into being able to hook a keyboard up to it via the usb port. And are talking about upgrading it to Android 5 as a stretch goal...

So, is it a final product, or is it still in development?

My guess is that they won't be able to deliver on the stretch goals even if they meet their new target which they stand a chance of doing. I just don't see there being an adequate amount of time to test out any new hardware/software for bugs.

I'm guessing that backers will receive the product that is being demoed in the videos. The ones which are carefully edited and which have stopped coming out at a time when they should be releasing new ones with greater frequency.

I think if I were a backer, I would request a refund before the end of the campaign so that I could get my money back. After the end of the campaign, it will be too late. At least two people did before the campaign reached its initial target.

Of course, I would dearly love to be proven wrong as I would truly love to see such a device come to the market. Just don't think this will be it.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

I would expect them to preload one of the existing ePub readers in the final product.

Dale
Old 04-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #26
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
This 13inch Netronix Indiegogo campaign is getting better and better. It just received 100 orders.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #27
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
I would expect them to preload one of the existing ePub readers in the final product.
Yup, looks like they're going to go with Moon+ Reader which is all fine and dandy, but it just makes you wonder why they didn't decide on that before they launched the campaign. Surely they knew then that the onboard stock reader was "woefully inadequate"... Doesn't inspire confidence.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #28
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
This 13inch Netronix Indiegogo campaign is getting better and better. It just received 100 orders.
They're certainly getting close to their stretch goal. I actually hope that they will make it. I would very much like to see an eink device running Android 5 which is what they have promised. Should be very interesting.

However, I'm not sure that I would put my money down on it just yet. I'd rather wait to see a functioning device.

Once again, they have promised more videos. I hope they are more informative than the recently released 48 second video which came 2 weeks after they bragged about how frequently they release videos. It didn't reveal anything new, nor answer many of the questions which have been asked.

If they do release some more videos, and if those videos reveal a reasonably functioning device, it could really renew interest in their campaign which has slacked as of late despite reaching their initial target. I suspect that there are a lot of people like myself who are following this campaign because they would dearly like such a device, but have yet to be convinced that this is it. Let's see whether or not these promised videos appear and just what they reveal.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:12 AM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yup, looks like they're going to go with Moon+ Reader which is all fine and dandy, but it just makes you wonder why they didn't decide on that before they launched the campaign. Surely they knew then that the onboard stock reader was "woefully inadequate"... Doesn't inspire confidence.
Well, I suspect the first one was supplied by Netronix and they assumed the manufacturer would have a good one, instead it was just a demo product which they found out later. Netronix should have had a good one. They are an old eBook Reader manufacturer and should have known better. I suspect they were just sloppy. I would hold it against goodreader.

Dale
Old 04-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #30
Question Mark
Wizard

Well, they are just $5K shy of reaching their first "real" stretch goal and there are still about 18 days left to the campaign. So it looks like they will be able to make it.

Then the question will be "Can they deliver on their promise to install Android 5.0 on the device?"

My guess is no. After all, they haven't even been able to deliver on their promise of more videos. In the last month, they have released one heavily edited 48 second video which didn't reveal anything new.

Apart from that... just empty promises, like their talk of working on getting "a proper USB Host Controller system working on our device, so you can attach a keyboard and use it to navigate around or simply be more productive."

Since they previously informed people that they would need to place an order of at least 500 units before they would be able to make any changes to the hardware, not sure how they think they will be able to get such a system working on the device.

Can't see them reaching 500 units within the next 18 days. Given the lack of new videos, they don't even seem to be trying. There is certainly no shortage of questions and suggestions for videos.

I suspect that there won't be any truly informative videos released showing what the device is truly capable of (and similarly incapable of) until after the campaign has closed. That way, none of the backers will be able to apply for a refund. Before the end of the campaign, backers who get cold feet can receive a full refund with no questions asked. At least two already did so before the campaign reached its initial target.

Why else would bloggers who regularly make videos demonstrating the pros and cons of other devices not make such a video for a device which they are peddling?

Hope to be proven wrong, but think that will prove unlikely.

Last edited by Question Mark; 04-28-2016 at 06:55 PM.

Tags
goodereader bad