Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-20-2019, 06:22 AM   #16
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The only things I like about the Kobo H2O:
1) Size
2) Screen quality (though I hardly ever use front light)
3) Being able to import the annotations via Calibre to text files.

I have now Bluefire, Aldiko and Coolreader. I'll get KOReader. I did have Kindle App and removed it. I'd not install it on anything, nor register any device or App with Adobe for DRM. I doubt I'd ever install any Kobo SW on anything, though I use Viber (same parent company), mainly because Skype is now useless on desktop and QQ is only Chinese on Linux. I use Viber mainly for text, as I did for years with Skype.

Why would I buy Moon+ pro? The Basic Moon+ wasn't of interest.

Why would I spend ANYTHING on an ereader for Android when I have ereader apps that are free and 99% + of the time I read on one of my eink dedicated ereaders? It's mostly for testing how my own titles would look to phone users. Avoiding sizes, formats, image sizes, etc that won't work well.

My only issue was the problem of having to manually delete older versions of books and import newer versions of the same books. Cool Reader may have solved that.

Though actual library management is practically non-existent on ANY ebook App or physical ereader. I was using better document management and library programs 20 years ago.

A lot of these ereader Apps concentrate too much on eye-candy and unimportant features with also poor GUIs and lack of library management.

Last edited by FrustratedReader; 06-20-2019 at 06:26 AM.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #17
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Nausicaa can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle
You can do the google survey to get money for apps as well.
https://surveys.google.com/google-opinion-rewards/
I found all them lacking except moon reader. I don't remember the free version honestly, I got it free maybe during a promo. KOreader is slow, it acts like it's ebook reader counterpart even on good hardware.

Can this help? https://www.slant.co/versus/5405/791..._vs_kobo-books

Last edited by Nausicaa; 06-20-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #18
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"The most important reason people chose Moon+ Reader is:

They have built in net library to search free eBooks."

That is absolutely ZERO interest, as I'd search for specific old books and often export as RTF and reformat if Calibre isn't sufficient.
I read almost all ebooks on the Kobo H2O original, or the Sony PRS350 if out and about or travelling.
I'm only using phone to check the books I actually author. Some might have 15 to 35 revisions, hence the interest in purely managing via Calibre on the desktop, and hating having to find and delete the titles on the phone and "import" to the reader.
Cool Reader seems to work without having to delete or import.

And, no I'm NEVER doing surveys for anyone, especially not Google.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:40 PM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
"The most important reason people chose Moon+ Reader is:

They have built in net library to search free eBooks."
Moon+ may not be for you and your use case, but your above assumption seems wrong. I've used it for years and have never once used that feature. I use it on Android tablets, phones and e-ink ereaders. I choose it because it is customizable so I can view my book the way my old eyes prefer. Obviously this doesn't help you at all with what you are trying to accomplish.

Let us know what ends up suiting your use case, I'm sure other publishers would find that information of value.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #20
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere

I'm trying PocketBook now, mentioned here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=99

It DOES use a named directory accessible to Calibre.
I was trying Coolreader, but while it works to use a shared directory via USB, it's otherwise annoying.

Can the turning page annotation be turned off in PocketBook? Also where does it save the annotations?
Old 07-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #21
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: lLenovo Yoya tab plus , fire HD10 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Moon+ may not be for you and your use case, but your above assumption seems wrong. I've used it for years and have never once used that feature. I use it on Android tablets, phones and e-ink ereaders. I choose it because it is customizable so I can view my book the way my old eyes prefer..
i agree completely ( except that I don't have it on anything of e-ink - was not aware of that option )
I worked through pretty much every paid (and thus advert free) e-reader in the google store. MOon is #1 for me

but i use it purely as a reader , not a library. I don't use its shelves, or auto import, or find free stuff online features
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:41 PM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
( except that I don't have it on anything of e-ink - was not aware of that option )
Some eInk devices run the android OS. On these devices it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
but i use it purely as a reader , not a library. I don't use its shelves, or auto import, or find free stuff online features
Same here, I use none of those features. I use Calibre Companion to manage my on device books and Moon+ Pro as the reader.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:34 AM   #23
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Can the turning page annotation be turned off in PocketBook? Also where does it save the annotations?
Yes, the animation can be changed or off. The GUI for all the settings is a bit weird, otherwise Pocketbook looks good for LCD based Android phones & Tablets.
I'm not particularly interested in customising / patching / alternate readers for my eink dedicated ereaders.