Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #16
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
1. it's trivial to export to pdf from ms word.
2. in pdf you can measure things, so you can find why is text misaligned - is it printer or is it ms word "feature".
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:09 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
1. it's trivial to export to pdf from ms word.
2. in pdf you can measure things, so you can find why is text misaligned - is it printer or is it ms word "feature".
Oh, good.

Then you can help him troubleshoot it! I'm sure he'll be happy for the help.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #18
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
@čitač 4sure dm me
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #19
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Oh I want to be able to do both MS Word and .pdf, and I actually used to use a small program called BookletCreator that would do imposition for me; but with moving apartments, changing computers, etc etc, I lost it somewhere along the way. I'm sure the .exe is saved to one of my hard drives (it's a habit), it's just a question of finding it once I get all my stuff moved to my new place. (ETA or I could just... download it again :facepalm: in my defense I haven't checked the website in a long time!) And I'm coming back home tonight so I'll be able to do some test printing - if I can solve the mystery of blank prints!

I tried InDesign several times; it... did not end well I probably should find time this year to try again, but I'm familiar with Word, and I'll hopefully be able to use BookletCreator again, so it wasn't as urgent (but it would be a useful skill to have).

Last edited by citac; 06-26-2019 at 09:56 AM. Reason: being an idiot
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #20
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You might try making a PDF and then printing that. You can tweak the PDF.
Will do! Are there any margin settings you would recommend I set in Word before exporting to PDF that would give me what I'm looking for (i.e. double-sided signatures ready for hand binding?) Should I set them all to be equal, or have a larger gutter?
Advert
Old 06-26-2019, 09:35 AM   #21
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I would agree with you, but I do feel I should point out that the OP says he's been able to do this previously. He wishes to do it again, and so...we try to help, right?

Hitch
Help from both of you is appreciated, and I'm open to suggestions. I went this way since it's what I have accessible and what I'm familiar with. The method used to work before on a different printer (this one was bought about two weeks ago), though the documents I worked with didn't have this many pages and a lot of them were planners I made for myself. This is a commission so I'd like to get it right.

(also - not that it really matters - she wishes my username means reader, was originally meant to be citacica which is the feminine form, but then I tried pronouncing it in English, and decided to keep it simple)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:46 AM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
Help from both of you is appreciated, and I'm open to suggestions. I went this way since it's what I have accessible and what I'm familiar with. The method used to work before on a different printer (this one was bought about two weeks ago), though the documents I worked with didn't have this many pages and a lot of them were planners I made for myself. This is a commission so I'd like to get it right.

(also - not that it really matters - she wishes my username means reader, was originally meant to be citacica which is the feminine form, but then I tried pronouncing it in English, and decided to keep it simple)
I'm a she myself, so thanks for telling me.

I still think that it's because you have the offset and gutter set in Word, with mirrored margins, AND at the printer for the bind offset, but I'm going to see if I can experiment today. I don't have the same printer, but gotta start someplace. Najgori has offset press experience, so s/he may be better positioned to assist as well--text him/her and maybe it can be resolved in minutes! (she said hopefully...)

Hitch
Old 06-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #23
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
I'm a she myself, so thanks for telling me.

I still think that it's because you have the offset and gutter set in Word, with mirrored margins, AND at the printer for the bind offset, but I'm going to see if I can experiment today. I don't have the same printer, but gotta start someplace. Najgori has offset press experience, so s/he may be better positioned to assist as well--text him/her and maybe it can be resolved in minutes! (she said hopefully...)

Hitch
It's possible, and I will find out tonight when I get home and re-install the drivers. I'll try both a Word and a pdf document, with and without the offset and gutter, and will make sure I didn't miss duplicating a setting.

I pm'd Najgori too (def. a he; Najgora would have been a she - it's an adjective meaning "the worst" and since our adjectives have to agree with nouns in gender and number, it's easy to tell when something is feminine (overwhelmingly ends in -a) but I'll also update this thread, in case someone else ever comes across something similar.

(apologies to everyone for getting off-topic; getting back on track!)
Old 06-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #24
citac
Fanatic

Ok, a couple of problems solved: the printer now prints as it should, not just status reports, and I found that if I change paragraph line spacing from multiple to single, the sentences will become aligned on both sides of the paper.

The text block is still a couple of millimetres off, which really bothers me when the paragraphs are set to justified, but I can live with when it's aligned left. That said, I'd like to figure out how to make it work with justified paragraphs. If it is paper slipping, the issue isn't such that I can't live with it, but if it's my settings, then I'd like to fix it.

My current Word settings:
Alignment: justified
Indentation: 0 cm left & right, special first line 1.27 cm
Spacing: before and after 6 or, line spacing single

Margins: normal at 2.54 cm all around
Gutter: 0 cm
Pages: normal

Printer settings: paper size A4 landscape, plain paper at 600 dpi and text print settings
2-sided/booklet: Booklet with left binding, and booklet printing method: divide into sets (4 sheets per set)
Binding offset is unchecked.

The doc has headers and footers 1.27 cm from top and bottom, plain numbers at the bottom of the page, and each chapter starts on an odd page.

If there are any other settings you need me to share, please let me know.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #25
citac
Fanatic

Just a short update: in the end it took some tweaking, and I found that setting the left margin at 2.8 cm was what did the trick. I converted the doc to PDF, then using BookletCreator got the PDF with flipped pages for autoduplex printer, and printed the PDF double-sided, flipped on long edge. Thank you everyone for your suggestions!
Old 07-02-2019, 11:21 AM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Just a short update: in the end it took some tweaking, and I found that setting the left margin at 2.8 cm was what did the trick. I converted the doc to PDF, then using BookletCreator got the PDF with flipped pages for autoduplex printer, and printed the PDF double-sided, flipped on long edge. Thank you everyone for your suggestions!
Congrats! I'm glad you got it figured out, but honestly, it doesn't sound like we all helped that much. :-)

Hitch
Old 07-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #27
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Congrats! I'm glad you got it figured out, but honestly, it doesn't sound like we all helped that much. :-)

Hitch
You offered ideas, and were a sounding board; so in that way you helped
Old 07-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
You offered ideas, and were a sounding board; so in that way you helped
Well, you are being very gracious, but overly so. I'm just glad you got it sorted!

Hitch