Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
Emoto
Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus, Kindle Paperwhite
Can Read Book, but Cannot See Book File through Windows Explorer

Hi All,

Nook Glowlight Plus. I bought a book from the B&N store and it showed up on the Nook just fine, and I have been reading it off and on for several days. So far, so good.

However, when I connect the Nook to my Win7 computer, and look in the folder where all the books are, this book is NOT there. Calibre can't see it either. I have folder options set to display hidden files. I have looked in all of the folders on the Nook and id is nowhere to be found. Any idea how to find this file?

I would really like to be able to see all of my book files and have them show up in Calibre as well.
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Hi All,

Nook Glowlight Plus. I bought a book from the B&N store and it showed up on the Nook just fine, and I have been reading it off and on for several days. So far, so good.

However, when I connect the Nook to my Win7 computer, and look in the folder where all the books are, this book is NOT there. Calibre can't see it either. I have folder options set to display hidden files. I have looked in all of the folders on the Nook and id is nowhere to be found. Any idea how to find this file?

I would really like to be able to see all of my book files and have them show up in Calibre as well.
You might want to look at a different ereader then. There are two separate storage areas for books on your Nook and only one is exposed through the USB interface.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #3
Emoto
Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Emoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You might want to look at a different ereader then. There are two separate storage areas for books on your Nook and only one is exposed through the USB interface.
Thanks for the response! Can you possibly point me in the right direction for learning about the Nook storage area that is not exposed via USB, and how I might access it?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks for the response! Can you possibly point me in the right direction for learning about the Nook storage area that is not exposed via USB, and how I might access it?
Sorry but since B&N and their Nook devices are not supported in my country, I haven't paid much attention to them other than feeling happy that, in comparison, Kobo seems a champion of open systems. You could check in the Nook Developer's Corner forum for information on rooting and other fun things.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-14-2019 at 11:09 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
Emoto

Thanks David, I will look there.

Bob
Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Hi All,

If you're using Windows 10, I'd suggest installing the Nook app from the Microsoft store and then install the Apprentice Alf plug-ins for Calibre. Doing this, you should be able to download books purchased from B&N and add them to Calibre*

I have a Nook Glowlight Plus like you, but I've never tried accessing B&N purchased books stored on the Nook through USB. I don't think you have access to those files.

*This works for me and others, but doesn't seem to universally work for everyone. See this thread, starting at post #1460.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Emoto

Thank you, ZodWallop! (Great username, BTW!)

Currently, I am on Win7, so no joy there, but am going to have a Win10 laptop available to me in a few weeks. When I have that, I will definitely give that a try. It bugs the heck out of me to not be able to back up files that I have paid for.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It bugs the heck out of me to not be able to back up files that I have paid for.
I feel the same way.

On Windows 7, you could try Nook Study or Nook for PC, but lately they have been having problems connecting to the B&N servers. The Windows 10 Nook app from the Microsoft store is the only one guaranteed to work. But as I mentioned, some people have had trouble getting the Alf Calibre plug-in to play nice with the Nook app. It worked for me and others. But not for everyone.

As B&N becomes more difficult to deal with, I buy my books from Amazon. There's some hoops you have to go through with them as well (setting up an older version of Kindle for PC), but they're easier to deal with than B&N anymore.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
Emoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I feel the same way.

On Windows 7, you could try Nook Study or Nook for PC, but lately they have been having problems connecting to the B&N servers. The Windows 10 Nook app from the Microsoft store is the only one guaranteed to work. But as I mentioned, some people have had trouble getting the Alf Calibre plug-in to play nice with the Nook app. It worked for me and others. But not for everyone.

As B&N becomes more difficult to deal with, I buy my books from Amazon. There's some hoops you have to go through with them as well (setting up an older version of Kindle for PC), but they're easier to deal with than B&N anymore.
Yeah, I already tried both of those. It was interesting, but bore no fruit. The Win10 thing seems like the path of least resistance, especially since just by chance a Win10 laptop is heading my way for work reasons, so I'll go that way. If that doesn't work, I may root the device, although I would prefer not to. I may sell it at some point. The actual reading experience is very good; it's just all the other stuff that I don't like very much.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
The actual reading experience is very good; it's just all the other stuff that I don't like very much.
That's exactly how I feel about my Nooks. I also have an old Kobo Aura. The Glowlight Plus is a slightly nicer reading experience (it formats the text better), but everything else, the Kobo wins.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #11
Emoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That's exactly how I feel about my Nooks. I also have an old Kobo Aura. The Glowlight Plus is a slightly nicer reading experience (it formats the text better), but everything else, the Kobo wins.
I do hear good things about the Kobo. Right now, I am consumed by transitioning to the Kindle environment. Will keep the Kobo in mind, though.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I do hear good things about the Kobo. Right now, I am consumed by transitioning to the Kindle environment. Will keep the Kobo in mind, though.
I was just working with a Kindle yesterday. I don't care for the software as compared to kobo. On the other hand, it is nicer than Nook's and it does seem to be the 'set it and forget it' reader and there's a lot to be said for that.

I like futzing around with Calibre and my ebook collection as a hobby, and I like what Kobo allows me to do. On the other hand, when my mother-in-law or the kid of a friend was looking to get an e-reader, I recommended the Kindle.