Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Author in Upper Case, Author Sort in Lower Case?

Reciently had a computer failure.

Bought new computer, installed Calibre on the new computer and transferred Calibre Library from old computer hard drive to new computer.

Started up Calibre and loaded library. Data looks good. (will just need to rebuild all my preferences and custom columns and little tweaks)

However I noticed a problem.

A bunch of books I added a few months before the failure when viewed in Edit Medadata, show a pink square for Author Sort...

When the button to automatically resolve the Author sort is pressed the Name changes to lower case.

Before: John Doe - Doe, John (pink square for Author Sort)

After: John Doe - doe, john (Author sort now green)
[manually editing either field has no effect]

At first I thought maybe teh Author was in lower case, but when viewed in the Author Tag Browser John Doe shows as capitalized

Last edited by JohnnyBook; 09-18-2015 at 05:37 PM.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Right click on Authors in the tag browser, select "Manage Authors".

This lets you set the default (green) value for author --> author_sort pairs.
Check to see if the authors in question have an overridden author_sort value.

P.S. Next time you switch computers, see: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....backup-calibre
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
P.S. Next time you switch computers, see: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....backup-calibre
ninja'd - in particular see para 3, may not be too late

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

I ended up adding a column to my main screen for Author_Sort.

This allowed me to scroll through the books and see some of the books had lower case author_sort fields. I also used the Manage Author to look for bad sort fields.

The only way I found to fix it was to rename the Authors in the Author Tag Browser.

RE: Back ups. Hmm, I have never done a "Back-up" of my Library, but I did maintain a 2nd "copy" of my library on another drive which I updated once a month. I will look at doing a "Back-up" instead in the future.

And I will see if I can pull more data off the old drive from the old Calibre folder.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
JohnnyBook
Groupie

Ok, found out I can change the Author_Sort case in the Manage Author window when I find a lower case one.

Not sure how I ended up with incorrect case in the sort field.
Advert
Old 09-18-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBook View Post
RE: Back ups. Hmm, I have never done a "Back-up" of my Library, but I did maintain a 2nd "copy" of my library on another drive which I updated once a month. I will look at doing a "Back-up" instead in the future.
@JohnnyBook - Calibre itself doesn't have a backup feature as such. It does put a copy of each books metadata into the respective book folders (metadata.opf), they're there so that the library database (metadata.db) can be rebuilt if/when it becomes corrupted - I hasten to add that's never happened to me.

Many people use one of the plethora of File/folder synch tools, to maintain a copy on another disk (usually external) or cloud storage or both.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote