Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Can't Read Sony ePub Files

I bought several ePub books from the Sony Reader store last night and used Calibre to load them onto my PRS-505.

When I tried to open them today, I got an error that said, "Protected Page".

What does that mean? Is it because I didn't use the Sony software? Or is it something else?

Thanks!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
My guess would be that you need to use the Sony software or Adobe Digital Editions. Easiest way to find out would be to try loading a book using the Sony software.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
You need to authorize the device with Adobe Digital Editions, first. After that you should have no problem loading the files. If I'm not mistaken, you should even be able to continue loading them through Calibre. But first you have to download the Adobe software and plug your reader in. It will automatically recognize it and ask you if you'd like to authorize the device.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't realize I needed Adobe Digital Editions -- is that just if I want to manipulate files outside of the Sony software or do I need that all the time?

Thanks to you both for the advice -- I'll go look for the download now.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
sakura-panda
Guru

I had trouble downloading ADE -- since it was late at night I decided to not pursue it -- I went back to the Sony software to copy my new books to my Reader.

When I did that, it asked me if I wanted to authorize the Reader and warned me that I would not be able to read books on it if I didn't do it. I agreed and it authorized both the Reader and the computer that I was using.

When I looked at my account settings, I noticed that while I previously had two computers and my Reader authorized for my account, I now only had one computer and one Reader. If all of my authorized devices were removed when they switched formats, that explains why I couldn't open the books.

It's tempting to buy another book now to see if I'm right (I wished I'd only recopied one book instead of all four of the ones I had just bought) but there is no reason for me to not wait until I'm ready to buy again.
Advert