Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
rooting the new Nook Glowlight +

has anyone any experience with rooting a Nook Glowlight + ? i'm thinking of getting one to root with the intention of installing other reading apps for sideloaded epubs and also using the android kindle app and google's own playbooks app.

does a rooted device allow you to install and run these apps?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Check this forum out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nook...-plus-t3230323

You will find a tool for rooting the Glowlight Plus (post #153) and other info. I tried to install Play Store but never got it to function properly. So, I don't know if the Play Books app will work. However, you can sideload the Kindle app and many other apps without rooting. (Check out the forum.)

Hope this helps!
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
thanks. i saw the thread on xda. not getting google play store to work (and by extension, google play books) is a no-go. the only reason i'm thinking of doing this is so i can consolidate all reading apps onto a single e-ink device. i have a few lcd/led tablets that already has all the apps, but prefer it to be e-ink for reading. i supported the earl device, but i've given up hope for it to ever emerge.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
thanks. i saw the thread on xda. not getting google play store to work (and by extension, google play books) is a no-go. the only reason i'm thinking of doing this is so i can consolidate all reading apps onto a single e-ink device. i have a few lcd/led tablets that already has all the apps, but prefer it to be e-ink for reading. i supported the earl device, but i've given up hope for it to ever emerge.
I also have a Boyue T62+, and prefer using that E-Ink device over the Nook. The Onyx Boox C67 ML Carta is similar. Either can be rooted. One (maybe both, by now) comes with Play Store on it, but if rooted, Play Store can be installed on either. I'd recommend either device to you, as you could consolidate most, if not all, reading apps on one e-ink device. I always find myself going back to the Boyue. However, there are rumors of new, upgraded devices from both Boyue and Onyx coming next month.

You can check out threads on these devices in the Android Devices section of Mobileread.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote