Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #76
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Very good I think we have all of it organized. I'll recap below, and if everybody agrees, I'll update the first post

====

SNIP

The guidelines that were here, are now in the first post of this thread.

====

Comments?

If so, I'll adjust the above post before updating the first one.

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-05-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #77
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Nice consolidation, Katsunami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
- Starting April 1, no drastic (structural) changes in the stories are allowed.
The review process could well suggest major structural changes, so I don't think this clause can be included.

I think as long as we're heading for a target date to get a satisfactory final version, we should be fine.

Quote:
Execution
- I will set up a shared Dropbox folder.
I think you need to add a line (so that you can share the folder in a way that we can post to it):

- Please PM me with your email address if you want to participate

Quote:
- The names of all the contributors will be put onto the cover if not too many; if there are many, the names will be put directly after the title page.
I think the cover is going to be one of the things that we'll find an interesting education as we go through this process, so I wouldn't nail this down too much at this point.

We might ask to be allowed to use the tagline 'MobileRead Authors' or some such.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #78
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I think the cover is going to be one of the things that we'll find an interesting education as we go through this process, so I wouldn't nail this down too much at this point.

We might ask to be allowed to use the tagline 'MobileRead Authors' or some such.
I've updated the post using your suggestions.

With regard to the cover: I think we shoulnd't make it too complex. I've seen a lot of anthologies with fairly simple covers. Often just a background pattern, a large title, and a list of the authors, such as this one:

I've updated that line as well

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-05-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #79
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'll report back here later today.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #80
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thread now stickied.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #81
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks Should I create the discussion thread, and update the first post, or does anyone have any other comments?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #82
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Looks good to me. Should be interesting to see how this comes out.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #83
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First story of mine up on the Dropbox folder.

I think I can count this one as new - though what I've done so far was completed in late February - and is up there as v0.1. I've also added a critique guideline document as per Katsunami's and a version history document. I'd enjoy seeing a version history for everyone's stories as they progress, letting us know the writer's thoughts to that point.

Graham
Old 03-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #84
mrmarlowe
Zealot
mrmarlowe began at the beginning.

Device: Caliber
Quote:
I am also not far behind. We need more contributors tho.
mrmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #85
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I think I can count this one as new - though what I've done so far was completed in late February - and is up there as v0.1. I've also added a critique guideline document as per Katsunami's and a version history document. I'd enjoy seeing a version history for everyone's stories as they progress, letting us know the writer's thoughts to that point.

Graham
Good idea about the version history. You beat me to it, as I don't yet have a version 0.1 That will only be after I finish the actual story

A few comments with regard to using Dropbox (which I will also include in the first post):

- Dropbox has no security as far as I know. Any person invited into the Dropbox folder can see and change any subfolders. Make sure you have a backup of your own folder at least, outside of Dropbox. Mistakes happen. Someone could accidentally delete or change files.
- The above point, and especially the word "accidentally" implies that some care needs to be taken. My suggestion is as follows: if you are going to read other people's documents that can be changed by the software you're using (for example, reading a DOC-file in Microsoft Word), then make a copy of those documents first. Copy the participant's folder to your desktop, for example.
- Don't write the story directly inside the Dropbox folder. Many people have notifications enabled, and each time you save, all other participants will be notified because of the update. Write the story outside of Dropbox, and copy the latest version in there after you're done with your session. Also, someone might open your document just before you intend to edit it, locking it in the process.
- If you are one of the people who will post work in progress versions, you can post them in any format you like, as long as you're reasonably certain that this format can be opened by the other participants.
- The final version that is going to end up in the anthology has to be posted in a format that LibreOffice can open. Preferred formats are ODT/ODF, DOC, DOCX, RTF, TXT. Please don't post your final work as a PDF.

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-05-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #86
Graham
Wizard

I'm posting as pdf as we go along, mainly because I'm working in Google Docs, and I can be reasonably confident of retaining the layout when saved as pdf. If anyone wants me to post an editable version so that they can put comments inline, just PM me and I will - though I'm just as happy for you to copy the whole thing into another document and save that in my folder if that's easier for you.

I'll save the final version as docx.

Graham
Old 03-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #87
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I uploaded both a PDF and a DOC version of the story, thinking ath reviewers could use whichever they prefer - or might that be too confusing for some?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:40 AM   #88
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I uploaded both a PDF and a DOC version of the story, thinking ath reviewers could use whichever they prefer - or might that be too confusing for some?
Me too. PDF and ODT. I guess we'll find out if it's going to be confusing.-)

@gmw Vera's Itch is a good story. It makes the reader want to solve the puzzle. The pacing is good. The voice is consistent. I could see the settings, even though you didn't over-describe them.

I'll sleep on it. Maybe I'll have more tomorrow.

PS Is this the thread for comments, or was there another one being created for that?

rjb

Last edited by arjaybe; 03-06-2014 at 01:13 AM.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:28 AM   #89
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

This thread is for organizing. I'll create the other one in a moment.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #90
mrmarlowe
Zealot
mrmarlowe began at the beginning.

Device: Caliber
I uploaded a RTF version.
mrmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote