Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
Kobo Glo/Nook STR Glow/Others?

I have a Nook Classic ... I love it ... mostly. I'd like a built in light and I know newer readers are smaller and lighter in weight.

I like that I can read just about any e-book file except the Kindle.

I looked at my mom's Nook STR (non-glow) and, while I liked the overall feel and user environment, I simply couldn't stand the library organization. It makes SO much more sense to select a book and then choose what shelves it belongs on rather than pick a shelf and wade through 200 books to find the book you want ... ugh!

I looked into Calibre, but I really like the idea of doing the library management on the device rather than the computer ... when I finish a book at the drs office, I'd like to move it to "finished" right then.

So, now I'm looking at the Kobo Glo .... I can sideload my B&N books on it, correct?

(BTW, I don't want a Kindle, my local library doesn't lend Kindle books, just ePubs)

The one thing that trips me up is the page refresh ... maybe I'm dense here, but I read for hours on my Nook and I've never noticed a screen flash except when changing screens ... like after choosing a book to open or when it goes to sleep. I've seen a video of the Kobo Glo in action and the screen flash seems very distracting.

So .... I'm looking for eInk, touch, built in light, a library management that allows me to define shelves (or collections or whatever they are going to call it) in a logical manner ... select a book and select the shelf (or shelves) it belongs on. and preferably decent battery life ... I charge my Classic twice a week. (w/Wifi off).

I want to be able to read B&N books, library ePubs, secure e-reader files (from Fictionwise), and pdfs. I don't mind sideloading everything ... 2/3 of what I have on my Nook Classic are non-B&N books.

Anything else (besides Nook STR Glow and Kobo Glo) I should look at?

Thanks!

Susie
Kansas
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Color me embarrassed!

After watching the Kobo Glo video again, and turning pages in my Nook, i realize it DOES flash after each page turn ... so I think if the Kobo can read B&N books and the library structure isn't dumb, that may be the way for me to go ...
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
B&N use their own proprietary DRM scheme. You can't load your books on any other non-Nook reader without stripping the DRM first (which is very easy however)
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Catsnkites
Connoisseur

I loaded B&N books on my daughter's JetBook Lite with no problem ... I did have to key in my name and CC# ... but they work just fine.

Oh well, guess I'll stick with my Classic and see if they ever re-vamp the Library features of the Nook Glow.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
There were a ton of complaints about the Nook Glowlight's screen breaking too easily, so I would definitely recommend you do a google search for that before investing in one, if that's what you will end up deciding on.
Apparently, the light layer breaks even the device is carried around in a sleeve, and once that film is broken, it is impossible to read on it.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert