Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #1
teresaapp
teresaapp began at the beginning.

Device: none
[Android] CC installed but will not start

I just bought CC on Amazon Appstore. It appeared to download and install fine (Android 6.01 phone), but it won't run. It tries to start, then throws up an "internal error" message. When I clear that message, there's a second message that flashes by too quickly to read, and then the app shuts down.

Any ideas?
teresaapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The first thing I would try is uninstall and reinstall the app. Something is broken with CC talking to Android, and an installation problem seems the most likely.

On a Android 6 phone, the first thing that CC does is attempt to get permissions for accessing internal storage. If this fails for some reason then CC cannot start. You could check this by going to Android Settings / Apps / Calibre Companion / Permissions and making sure that the Storage access is allowed.

CC keeps a debug log, but as you cannot start the app you cannot use CC to send it to us. You can manually access the log by going to Android/data/com.multipie.calibreandroid/files/calibre.companion.debug.log.txt. Send it to me at cc_debug_logs [at] charles [dot] haleys [dot] org. If there isn't a debug log then CC isn't even getting as starting to run, in which case there isn't much we can do.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
teresaapp
teresaapp began at the beginning.

Device: none
More info

The permissions look OK--I've attached the log file here (will also email)
Attached Files
File Type: txt calibre.companion.debug.log.txt (34.6 KB, 185 views)
teresaapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:49 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I looked at the debug log and there is nothing in it that indicates an error. The app starts, initializes, sits doing nothing for some 4 seconds, then exits.

In addition, I can't find the text "internal error" in CC.

Questions:
1) Did you try reinstalling the app?
2) Can you give me a screen capture of the "internal error" dialog?
Old 11-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
jps1850
jps1850 began at the beginning.

Device: LG V40 Thin Q
I am also having the same problem with cc purchased through Amazon. Since my phone updated to android 6, I have been unable to use cc. I receive the internal error and then another error that disappears quickly. I have been able to make screen captures of both errors. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times. I get the same results each time. The second error says that I do not own the app.

James
jps1850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
jps1850

These are the screen captures. Hopefully I can get them to upload. I meant to have them with my prior message but they didn't go that time.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-09-17-18-30-34.png
Views:	219
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	152919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-09-17-18-29-43.png
Views:	214
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	152920  
Old 11-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

@jps1850: thanks. That tells me that Amazon's license check is failing. It isn't obvious how we can fix it.

Do either or both of you have the Google play store on your device. One thing I can look into is giving you a "promo code" for a GP copy of CC. Another thing I can check is making a new release for amazon to see if amazon has updated their license check.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:46 AM   #8
jps1850

Yes, I do have the Google play store on my phone and do use it.

James
Old 11-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps1850 View Post
Yes, I do have the Google play store on my phone and do use it.

James
I sent you a google play CC promotion code by private message. If you need some instructions on what to do with it, see Redeem a gift card or promotional code.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

@teresaapp: we haven't heard from you. Have you solved your problem? If not, do you want a promotion code for Google Play version?
Old 11-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #11
jps1850

I uninstalled the Amazon copy and got the Google Play copy installed. It looks like everything is fine. I will be working with it in a few days. Thank You.

James

Tags
amazon, internal error