Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-18-2023, 06:03 AM   #1
Bigfarmer
Bigfarmer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Calibre 6.12.0 and 6.12.13 - ToC editor problem

After updating the Calibre application on my MacBook to version 6.12.0, the ToC-editor in Calibre stopped working. It is still possible to edit an EPUB file. However, when I open the ToC editor welcome screen, Calibre gets stuck in the destination dialogue screen and I only can exit the ToC editor with the Esc-key on my keyboard.

This problem arises in both Calibre version 6.12.0 and 6.13.0. The operating system on my MacBook is MacOS 12.6.3.

I resolved this problem by re-installing the older Calibre version 6.11.0 in which the ToC-editor works without a problem. However, I would like to understand the cause of this problem so I can upgrade the Calibre application to newer versions in the future.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Suggestions for a solution would be much appreciated!
Bigfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 06:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
what does "gets stuck in the destination dialog screen" mean?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2023, 07:53 AM   #3
Bigfarmer

It means that in the destination dialogue screen it is not possible to select a destination from the list, nor is it possible to use the ‘Cancel’ or ‘OK’ buttons. Neither is it possible to enter the ‘Name of the ToC entry’. The only action possible is using the Esc-key on my keyboard to exit the ToC-editor.

I hope this sufficiently clarifies the situation.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:21 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works fine on my mac. Is there something unusual about your hardware/software setup?
Old 02-18-2023, 09:26 AM   #5
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
This isn't really any help to you (the OP), but on my Windows system in Calibre 6.13, I can select destinations for TOC entries and enter them just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230218 -- Calibre TOC Editor Test.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	199793  
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2023, 03:36 AM   #6
Bigfarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Works fine on my mac. Is there something unusual about your hardware/software setup?
I am not aware of unusual hardware or software setup that could impact the performance of Calibre. Can you tell me which MacOS version you are running on your Mac?

If your MacOS version differs from mine (MacOS 12.6.3.), could that cause the problem with the ToC-editor?
Old 02-26-2023, 06:27 PM   #7
GregTheGrate
Connoisseur
GregTheGrate began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfarmer View Post
After updating the Calibre application on my MacBook to version 6.12.0, the ToC-editor in Calibre stopped working. It is still possible to edit an EPUB file. However, when I open the ToC editor welcome screen, Calibre gets stuck in the destination dialogue screen and I only can exit the ToC editor with the Esc-key on my keyboard.
My problem is similar. Can generate a TOC from headings, but as soon as I want to insert an entry, editor locks up. Only way out is to quit.
GregTheGrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 12:55 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/2004639
Old 03-08-2023, 01:26 PM   #9
McJal'm
McJal'm began at the beginning.

Device: iPad2
Yup, same problem. After updating to 6.13 (from 6.11), editing ToC has been buggy, the problem being exactly as described above. The ToC editor screen used for selecting destination for new entry seems to freeze, with none of the buttons/icons responding to prompt. Only way out is to Quit
McJal'm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 04:42 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
@McJal'm – You did read the message before your post and followed the link?

If not, the last part of the bug item reads:

Quote:
Fixed in branch master. The fix will be in the next release. calibre is usually released every alternate Friday.
So wait for 6.14 which should be released this Friday (2023-Mar-10) unless you are running from source, in which case, you should be able to apply the fix now.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:03 PM   #11
Bigfarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thank you for releasing Calibre version 6.14.

It appears that in Calibre version 6.14 on MacOS the ToC-editor problem is only partially resolved. When clicking ‘Edit ToC’ on the main toolbar, the dialogue screen opens that allows editing of the ToC without a problem.

However, when activating the ToC-editor function in the Book Edit screen the old problem, as described earlier in this thread, still persist. I hope this bug will be fixed in a future Calibre release.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:15 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah yes, I forgot that one uses a different code path. Will copy over the fix for the next calibre release.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...c2d1350b7de239