Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-18-2022, 05:01 AM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Magazines and newspapers are endangered species. The digital age giveth, and it taketh away.
Though it's not digital as such that's killing them but switch to Google and Facebook advertising because they claim to be able to target. That has two issues: invasion of privacy and fake snake oil advantage of targeting.

Advertising budgets are close to a fixed sized pot and Internet and in App adverts are damaging radio, TV, newspapers and magazines.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:48 AM   #17
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
I wonder if Amazon isn't trying to force magazines in KU. Four magazines from Penny Publications are now in KU (Alfred Hitchcock, Ellery Queen, Asimov's and Analog). As I subscribed to these previously, getting them in KU is a net gain for me, even at the 9.99/month price. And if i get KU on a promo, even better.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2023, 03:34 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrzok View Post
I wonder if Amazon isn't trying to force magazines in KU. Four magazines from Penny Publications are now in KU (Alfred Hitchcock, Ellery Queen, Asimov's and Analog). As I subscribed to these previously, getting them in KU is a net gain for me, even at the 9.99/month price. And if i get KU on a promo, even better.
Seems most magazines are on Kindle Unlimited.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 05:12 PM   #19
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
This seems like a death knell for genre magazines like Clarkesworld, Lightspeed, Dark, etc. Those are some great short story magazines that I would hate to see go out because of this.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:24 PM   #20
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
This seems like a death knell for genre magazines like Clarkesworld, Lightspeed, Dark, etc. Those are some great short story magazines that I would hate to see go out because of this.
At least Clarkesworld has been talking about this on social media (for a few months now), plus in their editorial and newsletter. They've been promoting their Patreon and Clarkesworld Citizens options to subscribers (as well as Weightless Books and Barnes & Noble.) Some of the other genre magazines (such as Uncanny) have also been discussing this on social media -- and probably in their newsletter as well. (IIRC the magazines didn't have access to their Amazon subscription base, so they couldn't contact them directly. )

But I haven't seen anything coming directly from the Dell/Penny Press genre fiction magazines -- Analog, Asimov's SF, or the two mystery magazines. Maybe they did reach out to their Amazon subscribers. But I haven't seen anything on social media or any announcements on their web pages. (From what I understand, they will be on Kindle Unlimited.)
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2023, 09:51 PM   #21
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
At least Clarkesworld has been talking about this on social media (for a few months now), plus in their editorial and newsletter. They've been promoting their Patreon and Clarkesworld Citizens options to subscribers (as well as Weightless Books and Barnes & Noble.) Some of the other genre magazines (such as Uncanny) have also been discussing this on social media -- and probably in their newsletter as well. (IIRC the magazines didn't have access to their Amazon subscription base, so they couldn't contact them directly. )

But I haven't seen anything coming directly from the Dell/Penny Press genre fiction magazines -- Analog, Asimov's SF, or the two mystery magazines. Maybe they did reach out to their Amazon subscribers. But I haven't seen anything on social media or any announcements on their web pages. (From what I understand, they will be on Kindle Unlimited.)

I’m glad to hear that! I will gladly subscribe to Clarkesworld directly if necessary, or do the Patreon route. I already get Lightspeed from Weightless Books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 01:07 PM   #22
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
On the plus side, maybe some of these magazines will start offering subscriptions that distribute EPUBs. The only one I ever had back in the day that did so was Linux Journal, and that was probably due to the tech geek influence.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:02 PM   #23
untilyouarrived
Enthusiast
untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Remarkable 2, HiSense Hi Reader
I do hope this means that I will finally be able to remove those trial subscriptions from umpteen years ago from my library.
untilyouarrived is offline   Reply With Quote