Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #31
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
My husbands PW4 came today and he's got a cold or something, and has not tried it out much other than charging it and loading his library on it. So far he's pleased with it, he was going to listen to an audiobook but he's too sick at the moment and fell asleep. Hope he can use it more tomorrow. I looked at it and it looks more like a Voyage to me, minus the buttons. I can't tell what kind of screen it has, plastic or glass. I guess someone will find out. It works well out of the box so far. I'm most interested in the battery life but since it has a larger battery than the Oasis it's probably really good. He'll be using it more for audio books so that will be a good way to test the battery.

It's just been one of those days.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #32
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
They moved the sleep magnet!

its a little thing, but it means my existing case wont put it to sleep.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2018, 09:04 PM   #33
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
They moved the sleep magnet!

its a little thing, but it means my existing case wont put it to sleep.
Do your PW4 fit your PW3 case. The height is 6.6" vs. 6.7" and the thickness is .32" vs .36". I would have thought the PW4 would be a bit loose in a PW3 case.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:47 PM   #34
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Do your PW4 fit your PW3 case. The height is 6.6" vs. 6.7" and the thickness is .32" vs .36". I would have thought the PW4 would be a bit loose in a PW3 case.
its a case like this, but for the paperwhite 3, https://www.amazon.com/Paperwhite-AC...dp/B07JKWH68D/

It is a little loose, but there was always a bit of stretch to those 4 corners, to keep it tight, so it is OK.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #35
bbtan123
bbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepVoid View Post
Just received my new Kindle, with a very bad surprise: Calibre can't detect the new device, even if the OS can see it and browse its contents. Can't find a solution for this issue :-(

Any hint?
Hi! Calibre has updated its software for the new paperwhite support, could you kindly let me know if it works for your new kindle paperwhite? I'm planning to get one but have just been waiting on the calibre updates! If it works, definitely going out to get one straight away!! Many thanks in advance
bbtan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2018, 10:02 PM   #36
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtan123 View Post
Hi! Calibre has updated its software for the new paperwhite support, could you kindly let me know if it works for your new kindle paperwhite? I'm planning to get one but have just been waiting on the calibre updates! If it works, definitely going out to get one straight away!! Many thanks in advance
It works just fine.

Jim

Last edited by Strether; 11-08-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #37
bbtan123
bbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
It works just fine.

Jim
Thanks so much for the prompt response! Gonna head out and get one now haha!
bbtan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:10 PM   #38
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I'd really be interested in voyage vs pw4 comparison, if anyone has it. In particular, if the screen's as good. If my voyage dies, I'll probably get this.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:33 PM   #39
maydocsach
maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maydocsach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I'd really be interested in voyage vs pw4 comparison, if anyone has it. In particular, if the screen's as good. If my voyage dies, I'll probably get this.
I am sure that Voyage's screen is better. It's brighter and and seems whiter a little bit.
If you need picture, I will post it later.
maydocsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:23 AM   #40
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Disappointed

I keep ordering the latest Kindles hoping they will impress me more than my Kobo H2O2. I’d really like the social features (highlights and goodreads). But once again I’m disappointed. I think I’ve gotten used to the Kobo’s slihhtly larger display; feels more “book size”. And the Kindle front lights always seem too garish (I read in the dark at night while wife is sleeping and the yellower light on other devices has been transformative). The Kobo also just feels like a more quality device; the Kindle feels cheap; that doesn’t matter really but is something I noticed. The Oasis was almost perfect except for that damn light but I thought I’d try again. Sending mine back; it’s not for me. Maybe next time Amazon.

OTOH if you’re already happy with a PW you’ll likely be perfectly happy with this one. Enjoy.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #41
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Like Barty, I am especially interested in a comparison to the Voyage. Of all kindles, it has the best contrast and now that this one is similar in appearance at a good price point, I'm especially interested in case my Voyage dies.
challe232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #42
Harlock415
Connoisseur
Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle Voyage
Is it common for covers to take a long time to show or not show at all when scrolling through the cloud library?

Edit: Specifically thumbnails of covers when scrolling through the library. If I download a book from the cloud with a blank thumbnail it will download like that. I have 1,800 books in the Amazon cloud.

Last edited by Harlock415; 11-09-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Harlock415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #43
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by challe232 View Post
Like Barty, I am especially interested in a comparison to the Voyage. Of all kindles, it has the best contrast and now that this one is similar in appearance at a good price point, I'm especially interested in case my Voyage dies.
I don't have a Voyage to compare, but to me this one feels like a merge with a tablet and an e-ink because of the glass coating. It's a trade-off for waterproofing so I would recommend only updating if this doesn't bother you. I have to adjust this one's angle not to get glare from lights, while with my other Paperwhites I could read with ease in every angle. Also this one gets smudges like a tablet or phone. I don't know how that experience was with the Voyage, so this is something to keep in mind. It is not glare-free.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #44
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Since I won't get my PW4 until my sister visits Mexico in January, I like hearing about them from those more fortunate.

I don't understand why some reviews say not having buttons is a negative. It also doesn't have wheels, solar cells for charging, or a socket for a buggy whip but none of those are listed as negatives.
Because some people just prefer using buttons (for example, not to make the reading screen dirty when turning pages with their hands, or not to turn pages by mistakes)
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #45
mkberg
mkberg began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepVoid View Post
Just feared of some hidden surprise by Amazon, to cut away third parties softwares.

If just patience is needed, it's not a big issue, I can have all the patience in the universe. I can bottle my patience up, and sell it across the entire Solar System
This is an excellent idea. Please let me know when you figure this out. I support this infinitely.
mkberg is offline   Reply With Quote