Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2018, 02:14 AM   #76
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Voyage and Oasis 2 are ambidexterous as the Voyage has the page turn sensors on both sides and the Oasis 2 can be read with the page turn switches positioned on either side of the screen. The display will automatically flip to keep the correct reading orientation.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:25 AM   #77
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
The Kindle and the Kobo screen page-turn navigation are not ambidextrous. They are very limiting and very uncustomizable. They could be much better. Alreader or Coolreader are far better. Physical buttons, particularly on both sides works.
Not ambidextrous? I swipe right to left to page ahead and left to right to page back. Either of my thumbs is quite capable of those two motions from either side of the screen. The customization options aren't that great but since I've set swiping only as my page forward/back option, the 4 tap zone settings are of pretty minimal interest.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2018, 06:42 AM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
So everyone is different. I will admit, however, that with my "new" T1 with its lighted cover installed, the page turn buttons are harder to get to and I've started swiping more on the T1 than on the others. It has a good, sensitive touch screen.
The 650's buttons are also at the bottom. They are not well placed for constant use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #79
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is it about page turn buttons you miss?

When I got my 650, I used the page turn buttons less than 10 times in total. I've never missed them and I don't want them. There's no need.
For me, I often will read one handed, and page turn buttons allow me to do that without shifting my grip each time. If I am laying in bed, or having problems with my one arm, it isn't convenient or comfortable to swipe. If I just try the tap on the side to change page, too often in inadvertently change page before I want to, or accidentally double tap.

I do have to admit, the button layout on the PRS-650 was bad. It is why I stuck with my 505 for so long.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #80
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The 650's buttons are also at the bottom. They are not well placed for constant use.
I don't mind where the button is placed (I'm used to it with my T2). It's having to reach over the light's battery holder to get to it that makes it less convenient with the T1's lighted cover.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #81
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
For me, I often will read one handed, and page turn buttons allow me to do that without shifting my grip each time. If I am laying in bed, or having problems with my one arm, it isn't convenient or comfortable to swipe. If I just try the tap on the side to change page, too often in inadvertently change page before I want to, or accidentally double tap.
I often read one handed. If I'm using my right hand, I just tap the screen with my thumb to go to the next page or do a quick thumb swipe to go back a page (and vice-versa if I switch to my left hand); it's easy to do without shifting your grip.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #82
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Use a back strap and it is very easy to hold the KA1 with on hand and turn the pages with your thumb.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Forget a back strap. Just use a cover. That will make the KA1 easier to hold.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #84
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Forget a back strap. Just use a cover. That will make the KA1 easier to hold.
J, strange you posted this.

I have a cover plus the back strap. The back strap allows one-handed holding.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #85
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
J, strange you posted this.

I have a cover plus the back strap. The back strap allows one-handed holding.
Some people just cannot put their agenda aside...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #86
petercreasey
Wizard

?????
Old 02-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #87
robilarocn
Enthusiast
robilarocn began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab S2 8"
Kobo customer service is the worst customer service I have ever encountered... ever.

My daughter's kobo died while under warranty (For no reason we could determine) and it took me almost 7 weeks to get a replacement....

I could write two pages on the trek it took to get them to warranty replace a 3 month old device bought at chapters (a partner of kobo's).
robilarocn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #88
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robilarocn View Post
I could write two pages on the trek it took to get them to warranty replace a 3 month old device bought at chapters (a partner of kobo's).
If you live in the U.S. this will hopefully change with the Walmart/Kobo partnership.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Kobo customer service is the worst customer service I have ever encountered... ever.

My daughter's kobo died while under warranty (For no reason we could determine) and it took me almost 7 weeks to get a replacement....

Did you contact Chapters?
Old 02-14-2018, 12:57 AM   #90
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:

See post #69 in this thread. Took me 6 weeks total from first order to get a working Kobo Aura One. The first was DOA with not functioning wi-fi. I agree with you 100% that Kobo's current service in the USA sucks. Sounds like it is not that good in Canada either. Could you not get a replacement through Chapters or does their replacement policy only cover 30 days or so?
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote