Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-15-2018, 05:50 AM   #31
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
The Question is about the PW3 speed compared to the new PW4
I think the question is really why are your devices all freezing. Having a faster processor won't help with freezing issues, it would just freeze quicker. To me the issue just seems to be your kindle is running out of storage. Amazon says you can store roughly 1,100 books on a 2GB Kindle. I think it goes up to around 3,500 on a 4GB version. The reason you think the KPW is less reliable is because your collection has just outgrown the storage on the current 4GB devices. If it was me then I'd just install Calibre on your PC, list the books on your kindle ordered by size and then just delete the ones you've read and that take up the most space. I had an older KPW but recently bought one of the new versions, not for the extra storage but because it's waterproof and I read in the bath
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:58 AM   #32
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Mike you are so Way off...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #33
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Mike you are so Way off...
I'm happy being wrong but it's good to know why. You did mention you had 5000 books and that you were running out of space. I can't see a slower processor causing freezes - it would just do things a little bit slower. I also couldn't see Amazon even wanting to release a faster processor as the current one works pretty well for most folk.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
I'm happy being wrong but it's good to know why. You did mention you had 5000 books and that you were running out of space. I can't see a slower processor causing freezes - it would just do things a little bit slower. I also couldn't see Amazon even wanting to release a faster processor as the current one works pretty well for most folk.
I always fill up my Kindles, Mike, and have never had one freeze. Kindles are not prone to freezing, so I do agree that what Barbara is experiencing is not normal behaviour.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #35
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

Fair enough. Good to know.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #36
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only ones I filled up were the K3...then I got message to delete a few so the pages of the next book will turn. I took off 1 of my big box sets it was fine. My PWs Never had many on them before they Freeze.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #37
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I always fill up my Kindles, Mike, and have never had one freeze. Kindles are not prone to freezing, so I do agree that what Barbara is experiencing is not normal behaviour.
And, as Mike wrote, a faster CPU won't help with it.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #38
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Note that the "turn pages like a madman" test is biased on most iterations of devices with reagl waveforms, because they imply a type of refresh that's not optimized for that, and it may block for slightly longer than expected.

If you still have a device < PW2, that'll be easier to see, because it's kind of hard to explain, I only have a kind of lame analogy: think vsync on crt/lcd screens.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:46 AM   #39
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I am Not a Speed reader... so I doubt turning pages normally is the reason they lockup.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:42 PM   #40
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
PW4 is nice and thin but it seems slower than previous models
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:53 AM   #41
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

UPDATE.... While I was procrastinating Amazon Sent me a PW4 @ Weeks Before they were even suppose to be in Stock So I get it 2 Hours later it is BROKE! @ E-mails from Amazon Warning USB cord that comes with it has problems. So I Carefully put the USB into the port Goes in Real smooth. The SNAP! Breaks loose! I Send it Back ... JUNK Junk junk

No I wont give Amazon another chance. [I am now on the look out for a Fire replacement.]

Last edited by Barbara1955; 01-20-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:54 AM   #42
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Well if the processors are the same no reason to get another one that just freezes up.
Price soooo tempting...
You're absolutely right. None of my Paperwhites freeze up but I'm sure that's a fluke. I think you should seriously consider a Kobo.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:30 AM   #43
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The only thing I can say if that the eInk controller saw a major hardware revision on the KOA2. But the different processor adds another variable to the mix .
I know what you mean about "controller", the correct term is screen driver, screen driven by it
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:46 AM   #44
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The only thing I can say if that the eInk controller saw a major hardware revision on the KOA2. But the different processor adds another variable to the mix .
btw, do you mean the driver (controller) on Oasis 2 and Oasis 1 are different?
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:49 AM   #45
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
btw, do you mean the driver (controller) on Oasis 2 and Oasis 1 are different?
Yes. The eink controller has a native inverted mode on Oasis 2 vs Oasis 1 (in hardware, not software).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote