Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
How many books do you have on your Reader?

I have 158 books (mainly novels) on my Reader.

The day afte I bought the Reader, I also bought a 1-gig card.

I mainly format for RTF, but now the BookDesigner 5.0 is out, I'm using that more and more. This is an incredible program, but the one thing that drives me crazy is the program's inability to format author is LAST name first, then FIRST name (Rohmer, Sax).

But still, an absolutely incredible program. It also reads .Lit files.

The problem with the Reader is, of course, the flat-file system. I have 11 different authors in Collections, so it's "somewhat" manageable, especially when I combine RTF and BookDisigner in the same Collection.

I also plan to download the entire Wilkie Collins and format those titles using BookDesigner. Then I'll have 12 collections.

I absolutely love this Reader. I'm a long-time user of the Reb 1100, but the Reader is a joy to use.

One worry I do have is this: when/if Sony creates a file system to allow better navigation, will I then have to delete everything from the Reader and reorganize all the titles? I wonder.

So -- how many books do you have on your Reader?

Don

(
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
48 books
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I honestly don't see any point in carrying hundreds around - it's not as if I'm going to be away from my PC for months on end. I have all my e-books nicely arranged in a hierarchical file structure on an external hard disk on my PC, and just have on the Reader those that I'm either reading at the moment, or plan to read in the near future. That's perhaps 30 books, which only use about 1/4 of the internal memory. All RTF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
A matter of size and heft - isn't it always like that, he asked rhetorically

Oh, I absolutely agree with you: there's no sane or rational reason to carry more than what is needed.

However, I do like the idea of having 100s and 100s of novels. I actually convinced one person already to buy the Reader when he realized I had Proust's massive "In Search of Lost Time" on the Reader (the public domain version).

Aside: I would buy the ebooks of the newer translations if they were made available.

So: For ME, it's the notion that I can take with me 300-400 novels, for example, when I go back to Peru - but this time, instead of my REB1100 I'll have the Sony Reader for the two months I'll be there.

Cheers,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I seem to keep about 10 or 12 at a time, depending on how many I've read since the last time I hunted up more content, of course. Plus I have a variant of the Bible that I've split up into 38 (or 39, I can't remember off-hand) "weekly reading" chunks, according to a plan our Education Minister came up with from somewhere. Plus a full version of the Bible that was posted here on MR (that has book/chapter/verse links in it). So what? About 50 individual 'book' files altogether. And, oh, yes, they are in collections!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
Tenkian
Enthusiast
Tenkian began at the beginning.

I have 30 at the moment on my SD card. I'm a bit anal when it comes to internal memory and like to keep it free. The only book stored in internal memory is the Operation manual.
I would love to be able to store collections on SD though, surely it can't be hard to implement!

I have authors who bring out trilogies and would like to put these into collections so I can remember which books go in the correct trilogy. Another useful feature would be if I could put the trilogy books in order without having to put a number in the title.
Tenkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Part of the appeal of the Reader for me was the idea that I could carry my entire library around with me. Unfortunately, the flat file system and slow Connect software make that pretty unworkable, even though my 2 GB SD card holds them all.

Now, I'm just putting 25-50 books on the device, and hoping for a better solution in the future--namely, folder support on the Reader, and a fast, lightweight third-party transfer/pagination program, so I can dump Connect.

Ken
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I have loaded around 20 books. All stored in internal memory.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
26 Books on internal memory. I had a bunch of music loaded on a 1 Gig card, but I was noticing that power drain issue, so right now I am sticking to internal until an update fixes that.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Plus I have a variant of the Bible that I've split up into 38 (or 39, I can't remember off-hand) "weekly reading" chunks, according to a plan our Education Minister came up with from somewhere. Plus a full version of the Bible that was posted here on MR (that has book/chapter/verse links in it). So what? About 50 individual 'book' files altogether.
That's the one thing I still use my Pocket PC for reading on. There's a company called "Olivetree" who sell Bible software for Pocket PC and Palm computers, and I have a number of different versions on my Pocket PC. All my other reading is now on the Reader .
Old 02-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Around 35 on the reader. I format as I need.
I've been collecting for years; about 4500 on the computer and some in multiple formats that I don't count in.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #12
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I have 15 on mine. I don't have any card. Don't see the reason to. I have all mine stored on this Hard drive here and just go and get some when I need em.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkian
I have 30 at the moment on my SD card. I'm a bit anal when it comes to internal memory and like to keep it free.
I feel kind of like Tenkian & keep most on my memory stick (that was just gathering dust since my Sony PDA died). I have 64 loaded, mainly so if I'm out somewhere when I finish one, I have a choice on what to read next. The idea that it really doesn't cost anything to keep a library of my unread (or re-readable) books readily available appeals to me. Sometimes a certain book just doesn't suit my current mood.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:30 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkian
I would love to be able to store collections on SD though, surely it can't be hard to implement!
I've seen some indications that they may be working on that, but they're still too insubstantial to tell anything from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
There's a company called "Olivetree" who sell Bible software for Pocket PC and Palm computers, and I have a number of different versions on my Pocket PC.
I have them on my Pilot, but I use it for quick look ups, not for general reading.

BTW, I contacted them some time ago to ask if they were going to do a Reader friendly version. From their reply, I got the impression that they hadn't heard of the thing, but it wasn't a "no" -- maybe it's been long enough for a follow up inquiry ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I have them on my Pilot, but I use it for quick look ups, not for general reading.
I am, as I may have mentioned previously, a strange person who reads Latin and Greek for fun , so what I specifically use the Pocket PC for is reading the Greek NT. Olivetree do a wonderful version of it which lets you click on any Greek word, and see its definition in a "split screen". Infinitely easier than looking things up in a dictionary and, for me, worth the cost of the Pocket PC on its own.

Quote:
BTW, I contacted them some time ago to ask if they were going to do a Reader friendly version. From their reply, I got the impression that they hadn't heard of the thing, but it wasn't a "no" -- maybe it's been long enough for a follow up inquiry ....
It would be great if they did that!