Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
An "American Idol" for writers comes to the web

Imagine a web contest for authors based on the American Idol process. Authors publish the first chapter of a book and compete to continue to the next chapters. After three elimination rounds, the winner of a $5,000 book contract is picked by "representatives from Simon & Schuster, Borders bookstores and Gather.com".

That is what the "First Chapters" contest is doing for members of gather.com who want to strut their written stuff in front of the judges. It's certainly a new approach to finding good books from the slush pile of writing submissions.

It's not so obvious from the gather.com front page where to find info, but after some digging I was able to find the rules here and more information from the First Chapters administrator can be found from some other posts. So if you are interested, you have until March 15th to make your submission and satisfy the entry requirements.

From ZDNet.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
This looks like it might be pretty interesting and fun to follow. Any mobileread members planning on submitting a chapter?
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
must point out that it is only open to americans. (i'm mildy annoyed as i was going to give it a shot)
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm thinking about it. But you have to have a full book manuscript completed to enter, and though I have at least one ms which could be finished by March 15, I don't know if I'll have time to finish it by then (the new semester starts Tuesday, and I have a tough schedule for the next 3 months).

Contest terms aren't that great compared to a regular contract, as well. And since I write SF, my work probably wouldn't pull as wide an audience as more general fiction. That means it probably wouldn't do that well in an "American Idol" style voting contest. I'll probably wait until summer to make the next push in my writing.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
According to rules:

"(b) Manuscript submissions (hereafter the “Submissions”) must be original, previously unpublished book, completed book length manuscripts in the commercial fiction genre from authors who have not previously published a full length book (excluding self published and vanity press)...Writers cannot submit more than one Submission in the Competition."

This suggests that I could submit any one of my existing works... and I have 9 of 'em! Hmm... how to decide?...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Let me read them I'll tell ya!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
This suggests that I could submit any one of my existing works... and I have 9 of 'em! Hmm... how to decide?...
Yep, you're "self-published," so you're in. Pick one that you think has the broadest popular appeal, since this is a "popularity contest." If you're thinking of entering one of a series, I think you'd better go with the first one. Good luck!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'd also suggest picking one that starts out the fastest... early chapters may determine the winners. If you submit, let us know if there is any open voting. I'm sure many of us would be delighted to support your entry.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
You have friends here Steve!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:47 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
When do we get to start voting for Steve's submission, again?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Since you asked:

I (finally!) submitted a novel to the Gather First Chapters contest. Here's the reply, which tells you how to spread the word:

Quote:
The first chapter of your submission to the First Chapters Writing Competition on Gather.com is now live. *The link below is the unique URL to your first chapter which has been posted for Round 1 consideration. *You can send this link to your friends, family, and colleagues so that they can read, rate, and comment on your work!

*Your Round 1 Unique URL:* http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.js...81474976927401

During Round 1, the first chapter of your submission (link provided above) will remain live on the site at Firstchapters.gather.com <http://firstchapters.gather.com/> for fourteen (14) days from the date it was published. At the end of that voting period we will remove the chapter from Gather and tally the votes. To complete your competition eligibility, please double-check to ensure that you are a member of First Chapters Writing Competition Group. If you are not a member, click here <http://www.gather.com/register.jsp> to join

If you would like to invite your friends, family and colleagues to read and rate your submission they must:

1. Join Gather.com so they can vote on your chapter. Make sure to send them a join link.

2. Click on your chapter’s unique link (send out the link provided above) where they can read and then rate your first chapter.

Note on voting: To ensure the integrity of contests on Gather we have developed fraud detection systems to monitor rating/voting patterns as well as member account validity. We run the processes periodically throughout the contest and again at the end of the contest, across all entries. If we determine that certain ratings or actions are intended to compromise the outcome of the contest we will take appropriate actions which can include disqualifying the ratings, entrants and submissions. Therefore, rating averages can change throughout the contest period. Entrants are eligible to vote in the Competition but are expected to do so fairly and in the spirit of the competition.
You can check out other chapter submissions from there.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote