Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
Tuba
Enthusiast
Tuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Question (YAKCP) Yet Another Kindle DXG Cover Post

I know the “which cover” question is all about personal preference but some key info isn't available on the web.

I’m looking for a Kindle DXG case cover that can:
1) Easily stay closed when shut;
2) Easily stay open, when folded around so it can be held in one hand;
3) Doesn’t add much weight/bulk to the Kindle; and
4) Offers some protection (more than a naked Kindle).

Still not sure about the latch mechanism. Most cover manufacturers seem to have abandoned the latch for their DX covers. Inside straps seem to work fine provided they don’t cover up the beautiful face of the DXG or cover anything they shouldn’t (like buttons). I don't like the covers the use a form of sleeve to hold the Kindle in place. Good protection but too much cover.

The covers that seem to work best for what I want are:
1) Old DXG Amazon Leather – I think this one has magnets to help keep the Kindle in place and hold the cover open and shut. The lack of redundant straps to prevent cracking has me nervous .
2) New DXG Amazon Leather (with the outside strap) - Not sure if this one has magnets in it or not. If not, then the outside strap is the only thing that will keep it closed or hold it open. And there’s that cracking risk .
3) Moleskine - Seems bulky and inside straps seem to have bad placement. I wonder if it would be good if I removed the notepad. Anyone know?
4) M-Edge Go! - No method to keep it closed or open. Otherwise this seems to be the best option. I don't like the long leather strap that the other M-Edge cases use.

Any thoughts? Any other suggestions?
Tuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Tuba
Enthusiast
Tuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enough

I decided to get the M-Edge Go!
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
shimz
shimz began at the beginning.

Device: DXg
I'm in love with the Octovo DX vintage leather cover - but its out of stock on amazon and I have a gift card there....It's the only one I would use since it has that "old book" type of leather and color. The newer amazon DX leather cover are nice too, but I prefer the tan old leather feel/look.
I'll keep checking ebay/amazon..
shimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Noreve
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Did Noreve get another American distributor?
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 04:40 AM   #6
Tuba
Enthusiast

shimz – Read lots of positive posts about Octovo covers and was tempted. But they seem a bit too bulky for me. I will mostly be reading while travelling via the Tube so I want a sleeker cover.

Last edited by Tuba; 07-15-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
shimz

yeah, understandable.
I just wish I could find one!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Tuba
Enthusiast

Didn’t come across Noreve in my original searches. Maybe because the side rings make the cover look like it has a zipper all the way round making me think it was a sleeve.

Looks very nice.

Can’t find any pictures showing the cover folded over the back.
Anyone know if it has magnets to keep it closed and opened?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
RobertPS
RobertPS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DXG, PB 360 plus, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba View Post
Didn’t come across Noreve in my original searches. Maybe because the side rings make the cover look like it has a zipper all the way round making me think it was a sleeve.

Looks very nice.

Can’t find any pictures showing the cover folded over the back.
Anyone know if it has magnets to keep it closed and opened?
Yes, it has magnets to keep it closed.
The magnets have no function if you fold the cover over the back.
Folding back is very easy though and I don't miss the magnets when folded over.

It's an excellent cover.
RobertPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
shimz

octovo has a new Vintage case coming out but not sure when.
Should be late summer/early fall
still holding out on amazon stocking the DX one again but its not looking good
Old 07-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
I bought an M-Edge Go for my new DXG, but I'm sending it back. It doesn't offer enough protection to suit me. For 2 1/2 years I used an M-Edge Executive cover for my K1, but wanted something different. When I realized the Go wasn't a "go" with me, I ordered the M-Edge Platform, which is heavier and better padded, and bought a used Oberon cover, which is adequate protection and a real work of art.

What I really want, now that I've already spent too much money on covers, is a Noreve.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:32 AM   #12
Tuba
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdia View Post
I bought an M-Edge Go for my new DXG, but I'm sending it back. It doesn't offer enough protection to suit me.
Can you elaborate on that?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:01 AM   #13
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Ordered a Noreve I will let you know how I like it. I wish Vaja made them. I have a Vaja fir my Ipad and it is gorgeous.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I know you want a cover but I went with a sleeve. I have several Kindle covers and for me they add too much weight and bulk. I have large hands (for a woman) but with my arthritis I'm more sensitive to bulk and weight.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba View Post
Can you elaborate on that?
The Go doesn't have the same amount of padding that the M-Edge Platform and the Executive covers do - it just felt thin.
The Kindle came right up to the edge of the cover, so if it fell on a side or a corner it wouldn't be landing on the case but it would be landing on the Kindle itself. I thought the way it was made meant that the likelihood of breakage for the Kindle increased.

I also didn't like the fact that there was no way to close the case. I knew when I ordered it that there wouldn't be, but combined with the other features it was just one more negative.

What I did like about the Go was the feel of the interior. When my Kindle is in a case, I tend to hold the case rather than the Kindle itself, and I liked the way the Go felt when I held it. I don't like the leather feel on the inside of the Platform, and I really don't like the feel of the wool on the inside of the Oberon (it's the only thing I don't like about the Oberon, but for me that's a real big thing).

From what I've seen, the Noreve is the only case that might be the 'perfect' case for me, but I'm about spent out as far as cases.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote