Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #151
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
wifi? 3g? local caching? and there are cloud storage vendors that offer encryption/security. or you can always roll your own WebDAV server, not too hard if you're technically inclined. advantages, available anywhere, can't lose it, can't have it stolen, easily shared if needed, backed up.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #152
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
That's not something really worth arguing over as it's just personal preference/circumstance.

I prefer having my stuff on flash drives and portable harddrives--and some of it I have to as I'm not allowed to put some work data on cloud storage.

I find it quicker to plug in a jump drive than to log into cloud storage, don't want to be dependent on network access if my internet is down or I'm out somewhere and not at a wifi hotspot (I'll probably never have 3G as I wouldn't use it enough--especially when it costs more than my home internet).

Others prefer cloud storage and not dealing with physical storage medium. Just different strokes for different folks. I'm old fashioned and will stick with jump drives and portable hard drives as long as they're available.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #153
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
That's not something really worth arguing over as it's just personal preference/circumstance.

I prefer having my stuff on flash drives and portable harddrives--and some of it I have to as I'm not allowed to put some work data on cloud storage.

I find it quicker to plug in a jump drive than to log into cloud storage....
I use both, and each has it's uses. Sometimes, if you need a large file immediately, the cloud can be a bit slow. Similarly if you travel, a thumb drive can be useful.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #154
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post

I find it quicker to plug in a jump drive than to log into cloud storage, don't want to be dependent on network access if my internet is down or I'm out somewhere and not at a wifi hotspot (I'll probably never have 3G as I wouldn't use it enough--especially when it costs more than my home internet).

Others prefer cloud storage and not dealing with physical storage medium. Just different strokes for different folks. I'm old fashioned and will stick with jump drives and portable hard drives as long as they're available.
Probably because the word flash is in it lol

It is a joke and no one should take that seriously.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote