Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
IvoryAngel
Living, Loving, Laughing
IvoryAngel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 6"
Question Extended Warranty ??

Finally made the big jump and purchased the Kindle 6" haven't had a bunch of time to explore but I think I will be thrilled in the end.

? Did you purchase or should I purchase the extended warranty? I read the reviews and it seems to be worth it however in all fairness sometimes people are paid to do those so I figured I'd get it the best place I knew here!

In addition, I am a previous mobi blackberry user and I'm quite confused on that issue but I've been reading the stickies! However, is there anyway to get feeds on the device I read about getting the mobi one's but is that worthwhile?
IvoryAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Tyler_D
Tyler_D doesn't litterTyler_D doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
IvoryAngel,

I got a squaretrade warranty with accidental drop coverage because I knew if anything happened to my kindle DX my wife probably wouldn't let me replace it out of pocket ($500 dollars is a lot to a college student). If anything it's worth the peace of mind knowing that if something does happen I'm covered. However, since I do have an extended warranty I'm almost guaranteed that nothing will happen (isn't it strange how life seems to work that way?).
Tyler_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
Bowhuntxx78
Readoholic
Bowhuntxx78 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 505, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_D View Post
IvoryAngel,

I got a squaretrade warranty with accidental drop coverage because I knew if anything happened to my kindle DX my wife probably wouldn't let me replace it out of pocket ($500 dollars is a lot to a college student). If anything it's worth the peace of mind knowing that if something does happen I'm covered. However, since I do have an extended warranty I'm almost guaranteed that nothing will happen (isn't it strange how life seems to work that way?).
Tyler_D,

I just placed my order for a Kindle DX tonight and could not make up my mind whether to get the Amazon extended warranty and was wondering if square trades warranty was priced better or provided more coverage?

Thx
Bowhuntxx78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
Tyler_D

Bowhuntxx78,

The Amazon extended warranty (actually, it's not an Amazon warranty, it's provided by Service net) actually only extends 1 extra year after the manufacturer's warranty. It's basically a 2 year warranty that starts the day you buy your kindle DX. It does provide one time accidental coverage and they'll send you a new Kindle DX. It costs $109 and has gotten mixed reviews.

I chose the Square Trade warranty because it starts the day you buy your Kindle and extends an extra 1-2 years after that (depending on which one you choose). There is also accidental damage coverage that it comes with, but it doesn't start until 30 days after you buy your Kindle, but it lasts 1-2 years after the manufacturer warranty expires as well. Square trade may try to fix your Kindle or they may just refund you your Kindle purchase price ($489) and then you can buy yourself another Kindle or other ereader. If you do use the accidental coverage there may be a $50 deductible and they'll refund you the rest of your purchase price ($439). Currently a 3 year warranty w/ accidental damage from handling is $99 while a 2 year warranty is $71.99. However, this link will get you some money off the warranty. Use the top coupon code and enter it in the coupon code section after you click "buy warranty". For a more complete list of product details and exclusions see this Square trade link. The "claims and details" and "accidental damage from handling" sections on the side should give you all the details you want.

Sorry the response is so long , but I went with Square Trade because of the longer coverage and the good reviews I had heard from other Kindle owners. I figure I'd be more likely to break or have problems with my Kindle DX in 3 years vs 2, plus Square Trade frequently (from what I hear) refunds your Kindle purchase price in the event of a problem, so in 2 years if something happens then you get your $400 back and the DX's may be cheaper then or there may be some new amazing reader you want instead that you can buy. Seemed like a win-win situation to me. Hope that helps.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Tyler_D

For anyone interested in more information about extended warranties, here is an older thread in this forum that discusses some experiences and opinions about different extended warranties.
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
IvoryAngel
Living, Loving, Laughing
IvoryAngel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 6"
Thanks You So Much! .. I think I'll check out the square trade warranty as well I have used them in the past for other devices. I had no idea they did the kindle. GREAT TIP!

=)
IvoryAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
ConnieL429
ConnieL429 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I decided not to. I take really good care of ALL my electronic devices and about the only time I will get a warranty like this is if the type of device is prone to failure (such as printers) or if it's really expensive. For me, the Kindle 2 is not in either category. On the other hand, if it were for my husband or daughter, well then......
ConnieL429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I didn't worry about an extended warranty simply because my Kindles mostly stay at home these days. If you are using them in hazardous environments frequently (walking around in the wilderness) and traveling with them it would be a good idea.

I've heard good things about square trade though, if you choose one those guys should be near the top of your list.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote