Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
Britt52
Britt52 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-reader
505 discontinued?

Does anyone know why the PRS 505 is/was discontinued? My 7 month old
505's screen is messed up and I wanted to get a new one.
Britt52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
They discontinued the 505 because of the 300/600 they have released and the 900 that they will release later in the year. Before buying another 505, I would check your warranty with Sony and see if getting your screen replaced is still valid. If not, check ebay. Last time I was on the site, the 505 was still available.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 03:55 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 505 is still alive and well here in Europe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If it's cheaper or easier for you, I'm sure you can still find a new 505 on eBay or Amazon. There have been posts that a few retail stores still have 505s in stock.

Good luck!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt52 View Post
Does anyone know why the PRS 505 is/was discontinued? My 7 month old
505's screen is messed up and I wanted to get a new one.
The existence of the Sony Portable Reader (New Forum) Includes the PRS-300, PRS-600, PRS-700 and upcoming PRS-2121 (Daily Edition) is a dead give away that Sony has released new devices.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I don't think the 505 is discontinued, Sony still sells it on their web site here in Canada.
EricGagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGagne View Post
I don't think the 505 is discontinued, Sony still sells it on their web site here in Canada.
Yes, Sony discontinues in different countries at different times.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Britt52

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
The existence of the Sony Portable Reader (New Forum) Includes the PRS-300, PRS-600, PRS-700 and upcoming PRS-2121 (Daily Edition) is a dead give away that Sony has released new devices.
Quite often companies keep previous devices that are popular even when adding in new ones. Such as updates of currents products. Sorry it was such an inconvience to you to ask a question. I was just curious as if there was a specific reason or just because they where bringing in new models.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Britt52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post
They discontinued the 505 because of the 300/600 they have released and the 900 that they will release later in the year. Before buying another 505, I would check your warranty with Sony and see if getting your screen replaced is still valid. If not, check ebay. Last time I was on the site, the 505 was still available.
I did check with Sony and they will not honor the warranty because the display is broken and the only way the would happen is if I broke it. Even though that wasn't the case based on where I keep/kept the reader.

Thanks, I will check out ebay and see what I find.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Britt52

Thanks everyone. I will look around some more to see if I can find it for a reasonable price. Aside from the screen breaking I have really enjoyed my reader.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
krischik
Addict

Quote:
I was just curious as if there was a specific reason or just because they where bringing in new models.
Reading the forums can give you a lot more information - (estimated) prices, (estimated) release dates for various countries. Feature comparison. With all that you can make a much better decision.

Martin
Old 09-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
Britt52

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
Reading the forums can give you a lot more information - (estimated) prices, (estimated) release dates for various countries. Feature comparison. With all that you can make a much better decision.

Martin
Thanks.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
If there is a Sony Store anywhere near you, check them out (unless you really are a Britt in Britain...) I bought a second, backup 505 at the Sony Store about 4 weeks ago. I LOVE my 505, and am not impressed with the 300 or 600, and am afraid that what happened to you will happen to me. Some retail outlets still have the 505's. The Sony Store said Sony had not instructed them to return their stock of 505's yet (which, I suppose, indicates that at some point they likely will).

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:50 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I will look around some more to see if I can find it for a reasonable price. Aside from the screen breaking I have really enjoyed my reader.
Don't know if you're in the US or not, but I've seen them for $229 at WalMart and on clearance at Target for $230 (apparently this varies by store). If you don't mind used keep an eye on the flea market here at MR, I recently got a 505 with the add-on lighted cover for $150.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:39 AM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I saw new 505's in my local Fry's store (Sacramento, CA) today for $229. The $229 price is really a good deal, considering the 300's are priced at $199 and they don't come with a cover.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote