Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #46
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
(PSST.........dabates. In order to keep peace, the term is "e-book reader" )

Jon does have a point, its a sensitive subject with him.
Yeah, apparently we aren't supposed to mention PDF's around him either because "it isn't an ebook format."
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #47
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoleaf View Post
It is a really good point - even my wife, who is not very geeky, hates the idea of being stuck with an immoveable format. My preference, if I have to buy something that's DRM'd is to be able to strip it and use it how I like. It's like telling me which chair I can read a book in. It took the music industry quite some time to realize that DRM was holding things up - I'm sure the publishing industry will come to its sense eventually.
As far as I can tell, the two immoveable formats are Topaz (.tpz or .azw1) used in some Kindle books at Amazon and BBeb (.lrf) used for Sony PRS systems. Of the 103 Amazon books currently on my Kindle only 4 of them are in Topaz format. So, I don't worry too much about picking up books in the Topaz format -- except that some of the worst formatted books I've ever gotten were Topaz.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #48
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know what was meant. But using the term incorrectly has (in the past) caused some people to purchase eReader format eBook(s) by mistake. And that's not a good thing to have happen. So it's best to just leave the term eReader to mean the program to display eReader format eBooks and for the eReader format.
Why purposefully misunderstand then, instead of offering this cogent explanation that does not insult other participants' intelligence?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #49
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Back to your original point, I think that the Kindle is the way to go, because:

1) I like the K store and selection and whispernet. I am concerned about format obsolescence, but I am aware that DRM removal and format conversion can address that.
2) Text to speech has been surprisingly useful (I read until I get in the car, then switch to TTS)
3) The internet access is quite klutzy, but its been extremely useful in a pinch.
4) Quick startup is great -- I don't know about the Sony, but I had another reader that took a full minute with a few hundred books loaded.
5) Search function is great.

But, If I had to convince you not to buy a Kindle then I'd say:
- If you can't get whispernet then advantages 1,3 disappear.
- The price of the unit is expensive.
- If Astak delivers on their upcoming 5" reader it might be quite the deal. $199 with the case compared to $359 plus the case.
- The margins on the Kindle are disappointing. By the time you add in padding, headers and footers, the readable area is much smaller than 5 inches (the Astak screen size).
- Smaller screen plus 1 extra inch in screen size would lead to a much more pocketable device.

p.s. I'd really hold off on the DX until we hear user reports on its durability. Having already broken one e-ink screen, I worry about the durability of a large screen device.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:18 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
As far as I can tell, the two immoveable formats are Topaz (.tpz or .azw1) used in some Kindle books at Amazon and BBeb (.lrf) used for Sony PRS systems. Of the 103 Amazon books currently on my Kindle only 4 of them are in Topaz format. So, I don't worry too much about picking up books in the Topaz format -- except that some of the worst formatted books I've ever gotten were Topaz.
LRF can be moved using the LRF tools. But it is LRX (DRMed version of LRF) that has yet to be cracked.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #51
echoleaf
Connoisseur
echoleaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litter

Device: Bebook, Cybook or eSlick?
@emmellaich: I think in my earlier research I'd leaned towards the Astak 6", and I'm definitely leaning towards their 5" now. It's very helpful to know about the margins on the Kindle as well - that was something I was completely unaware of.
echoleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #52
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
@emmellaich: I think in my earlier research I'd leaned towards the Astak 6", and I'm definitely leaning towards their 5" now. It's very helpful to know about the margins on the Kindle as well - that was something I was completely unaware of.
I pulled an image from a random web site to show the page. Although the full screen is used, notice how much is actual text:
http://blogs.fayobserver.com/techsas..._kindle_2.jpg\

Following is the screen image of the Astak 5":
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AnA7QO1W21...%2Bdisplay.jpg

I notice that it does not appear to have any top margin (although you can't tell for sure), and the text appears to go full side to side on the left/right. On the bottom there does appear to be a black stripe 'footer'.

However, I would note that the exact display is dependent on the reader software used, and Robertb is still talking about purchasing some SDK's so I am not totally sure what the final layout will look like.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #53
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
You can get around Topaz formats these days, and there are converters for the small minority too.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #54
echoleaf
Connoisseur

Are there some drm formats that are easier to circumvent than others? If so, which one(s)?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #55
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm very happy with my Sony. I am sure I would also be happy with the Kindle.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #56
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
You can get around Topaz formats these days, and there are converters for the small minority too.
I'm assuming you're not wanting to share where you got this information?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #57
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Are there some drm formats that are easier to circumvent than others? If so, which one(s)?
In my experience, and my experience is limited: Lit is the easiest format to circumvent. Closely followed by .mobi.

What I've been doing (and everyone's going to laugh at me) is purchasing in .lit format. Downconverting those using ConvertLit and then format shifting those files to non DRM'd .mobi using Calibre. I end up with a file that is mostly correctly formatted, doesn't freeze up my device when it hits something my reader can't parse, and displays nicely on my EZ Reader. I'm sure there's an easier way to do this (I could just buy the file in .mobi and use the scripts), but this works for me so this is how I do it. I don't necessarily recommend my method for anyone else.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #58
echoleaf
Connoisseur

@Lemurion: Got any useful details?

@Shel: thanks. I don't see .lit that often though - more .mobi or .pdf. (although I hear the latter is not an ebook format...)