Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Scrivener help needed desperately

will someone who knows Scrivener be willing to walk me through getting my word document into Scrivener, setting up headings for each of my stories, setting up a ToC, and compileing as mobi or epub? I've been through the tutorial, and been through the book, and I'm totally confused. I need simple *do this* instructions.

you can pm me for my email address and we can take this off list, if you'd rather.

signed,
Totally Confused.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You should probably go to the Scrivener site and then to their help forums.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried to register for Scrivener tech support, and it won't let me register - I can't get past the catchca.

I thought that maybe it was my browser settings somehow, so I tried with IE - I get the same error message. I can't register.

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 05-25-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I tried to register for Scrivener tech support, and it won't let me register - I can't get past the catchca.

I thought that maybe it was my browser settings somehow, so I tried with IE - I get the same error message. I can't register.
Drop them an email. They seem nice. Right now they are working on a bug I found in their program that only reproduces with MY manuscript. Yeah, I am THAT good.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Drop them an email. They seem nice. Right now they are working on a bug I found in their program that only reproduces with MY manuscript. Yeah, I am THAT good.
An inspiration to us all!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard

scrivener help; keeping something out of the TOC

The title page of my book is the first item in the ToC when I compile to mobi. This isn't too bad for Dragons and Dreams, but it's a disaster for singles, where what I get is this:

The Seventh Bridge (goes to title page)
The Seventh Bridge (goes to beginning of story)
Afterword

Is there *any* way to mark a page as not going into the ToC? I found directions for how to do it on a Mac, but I'm on a PC, and I don't have the menu option that the Mac instructions called for.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hmm, I was about to tell you.... but I am on a Mac Never seen the Windows version.. but I know there is a window inside the build screen that has check boxes for this in the Mac version. Is there a window/tab/page like that in you version?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I had an answer, but then I noticed you're doing it in Scrivener instead of Sigil.

I would suggest leaving the title page in the TOC, though. It'd allow a user to quickly reset back to the cover once they've finished the book, on devices that don't have easy "jump to page" features. My iRiver Story HD was one of those.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I figured it's ok for the story collection, but for Seventh Bridge, it looks kind of odd to have that title in 2 places in the ToC.

The only place with check boxes in the compile section that I found is what to include in the compilation. I want the title page and copyright included in the compiled mobi file, I just don't want them in the ToC.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Do NOT start new topics on the same issue. You ALREADY have a help thread on Scrivener. This thread has now been merged with the earlier thread.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Apparently features available to Mac users aren't available to Windows users. Dunno if that's a "yet" or an "ever".
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I think the intention is "yet", but with software projects like this it can be difficult to be certain. However the Windows version has been receiving a lot of attention so it looks promising.

To work around this problem you could try generating the epub from Scrivener an then editing that in Sigil to change the TOC. You can then generate the mobi from the epub using free software from Amazon (which may be part of the Scrivener install, I haven't looked at the recent versions).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I think the intention is "yet", but with software projects like this it can be difficult to be certain. However the Windows version has been receiving a lot of attention so it looks promising.

To work around this problem you could try generating the epub from Scrivener an then editing that in Sigil to change the TOC. You can then generate the mobi from the epub using free software from Amazon (which may be part of the Scrivener install, I haven't looked at the recent versions).
I believe it is more a 'yet' than 'never' myself as Scrivener started out on Mac's and is still pretty new to PC's as yet. So they've had several years of development for the Mac version and are playing catch up on the PC version of the software. And some of the features apparently are different between the two versions due to different programming.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

Odd that you are having problems signing up for the forum over at literatureandlatte.com. It worked for me when I signed up some months back. It might be a temporary glitch in their system. I'd try again and see if it would allow you in this time. I use firefox as my browser and didn't have trouble.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #15
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Google Scrivner tutorial there are few out there.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote