Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Samsung's Unbreakable Screen ...

The flexible part sounds interesting (and is news to me):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe...rtner=yahootix
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
So the new "unbreakable" screen is....plastic? That is interesting, but I don't know if it's progress. Although I suppose the plastic screen on my old Palm Centro was pretty durable, it never scratched.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It is progress. It's not simply replacing glass with plastic. The glass is there because the substrate would break if flexed. Having a substrate which can flex without breaking allows plastic to be used instead of glass.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
It is progress. It's not simply replacing glass with plastic. The glass is there because the substrate would break if flexed. Having a substrate which can flex without breaking allows plastic to be used instead of glass.
The glass is there today because it resists scratching a lot better than plastic. Which is why I'm a bit skeptical on this. Will flexible plastic be more scratch-resistant than hard plastic? I have my doubts.

It's nice to see more choices though, even if it does scratch easier there is certainly a market for it.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
The glass is there today because it resists scratching a lot better than plastic. Which is why I'm a bit skeptical on this. Will flexible plastic be more scratch-resistant than hard plastic? I have my doubts.
They are talking about a part of the screen, not the protective sheet of glass or plastic that they place over top the screen. Scratching is not an issue in this case, and plastic's ability to absorb shock would be useful.

As an aside, some of us prefer a plastic protective layer over our screens. Yes, it is more prone to scratching. On the other hand, I'd rather put up with a bit of scratching over a shattered screen.
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:

It's nice to see more choices though, even if it does scratch easier there is certainly a market for it.
My plastic eyeglasses don't scratch. I don't put a stylus on them, but I do clean them with my t-shirt. Still look good after a year.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
There is plastic, and then there is hard plastic, and finally really hard plastic.
(just like glass)

One assumes that they have tested these compounds out.

I put a film over my tablet and Droid I. Any scratches, just replace the film. (but none worth using one of the 2 extras I bought originally yet.)
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:42 AM   #8
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Plastic does have certain advantages I remember when I scratched a PSP plastic screen I was able to polish it out again pretty easily with some optician stuff. I think a normal style screen protector on plastic is probably the best all round solution to not ruining a screen.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
There is plastic, and then there is hard plastic, and finally really hard plastic.
(just like glass)

One assumes that they have tested these compounds out.
There are also scratch-resistant coatings.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
So the new "unbreakable" screen is....plastic? That is interesting, but I don't know if it's progress. Although I suppose the plastic screen on my old Palm Centro was pretty durable, it never scratched.
The Centro had a regular glass transflective tft lcd typical for Palm and others in 2007. It was not plastic. The resistive touch layer above the display was plastic.

Nobody has yet made a plastic lcd screen in a consumer product. The only plastic display retailed to date is the eink one in the Wexler ereader http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ereader-video/

Quote:

The glass is there today because of technical limitations and production limitations. Nobody until very recently has shown the ability to produce flexible displays in yield high enough to make it "cost effective". Previously, only two companies could do roll to roll production with plastic tfts and plastic display materials and they are both using eink(one technically doesn't exist now). of course cost effective is a relative term, check the price of the wexler.

What others have resorted to because of temperature differences in the production of glass versus plastic is first produce the tft back plane on glass and then delaminate it from the glass and meld it with the plastic display material. off course that destroys the glass and the delamination process leads to defective tft's lowering overall yield. both of those drive up cost.

edit- SiPix's process was roll to roll also but their yield was horrible which pretty much ensured the dominance of Eink in the electronic paper market for anything over the size of shelf signage.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 04-27-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
here's an excellent read from 2011 on the subject http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._s_the_holdup_

LG was producing flexible eink displays with a metal foil tft.

http://www.hitechreview.com/uploads/...le-e-paper.jpg

you may remember hearing about the device they were supposed to go in, the Skiff reader http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/04/s...-a-sprint-sto/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
here's an excellent read from 2011 on the subject http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._s_the_holdup_

LG was producing flexible eink displays with a metal foil tft.

http://www.hitechreview.com/uploads/...le-e-paper.jpg

you may remember hearing about the device they were supposed to go in, the Skiff reader http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/04/s...-a-sprint-sto/
Really outstanding information!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote