Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Not for me, for visitors.
I kind of meant if I was a visitor who spent long periods of time in a hosts bathroom I would bring my own ereader.

Anyway interesting in that I cannot imagine myself occupying someone else's bathroom except in extreme emergency cases long enough to read, even if they had at least two bathrooms.

Possibly due to having shared a single bathroom with as many as eight people at different points in my life, and yes it can actually be done politely

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Guests should be over to visit me, not spend time in my bathroom. I wouldn't worry about having reading material in there for them.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #18
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
You guys are kind of gross. Do you take the same e-reader from the bathroom to the dining room? If so, how do you sanitize it in between? If not, do you wash your hands on the way out? Just saying...

I don't have a problem with someone taking something to read into the bathroom, but once it enters, it is not welcome in the places I generally read.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
One drawback - you'ld almost certainly have to provide instructions for the thing !

By the time they've worked through that and got it working, it would, ummm ........... be time to come out, as it were ....

Unless they do have ....dietry problems, in which case, frankly, the ereader will probably be of little interest anyway !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
Kaylee Skylyn
Enthusiast
Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android phone, Kobo Aura, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
You guys are kind of gross. Do you take the same e-reader from the bathroom to the dining room? If so, how do you sanitize it in between? If not, do you wash your hands on the way out? Just saying...

I don't have a problem with someone taking something to read into the bathroom, but once it enters, it is not welcome in the places I generally read.
Well, I would hope you are not using the reading materials to wipe...
(in all seriousness...yes sanitation is important....its called 'put down the book, wipe, wash hands pick up book'...I see no possibility of contamination there...unless of course you have some medical issues.) ;P

Most people I know also have materials in the bathroom. If you spend enough time to read a lot then yes you need to look at you're diet (ie more than a few paragraphs tops. I think one of the TD drs somewhere said it its more then 5 min in there they you need more fiber or a dr visit!). I try not to have a novel in the bathroom...thats just temptation to linger.

So to answer the original Q not sure I would but a ereader in there for my visitors. a) my friends wouldn't yet know how to use it and b) if I was the visitor I'm not sure I would be comfortable using someone else reader....it would kind feel like snooping. A magazine lying there well ya no problem but an electric I would need to turn on and brows through...meh, I feel like I'm snooping. (and the temptation to linger thing...once the guest figures out how to use it they will never want to put it down.)

Last edited by Kaylee Skylyn; 10-21-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Kaylee Skylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #21
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Quote:

I was just thinking this after looking at the "e-reading and eating thread"
Personaly I never had to read the "kids" a story before they jumped in the proverbial pool.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #22
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
You guys are kind of gross. Do you take the same e-reader from the bathroom to the dining room? If so, how do you sanitize it in between? If not, do you wash your hands on the way out? Just saying....
Seems a bit extreme to worry about this unless you dunk it in the bowl or, as mentioned, don't wash your hands.

Do you change your clothing at every visit? Wash your eyeglasses, if you wear them?

And to answer the original question, although I am an avid reader, I don't leave reading materials in the bathroom, as a rule. I have been known to carry a book (or ereader) in with me, though, if I'd got to a good spot and didn't want to stop reading.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #23
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
just wipe it down with some hand sanitizer.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #24
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
It's not just handwashing after, but other things, like a certain gender that has an affinity for scratching certain places in the bathroom....

But mostly this:

From WebMD:
" Close the toilet lid when you flush. "Flushing aerosolizes all the organisms found in feces, and there are 3.2 million microbes per square inch of toilet bowl," says Duberg. That means that when you flush with the lid up, it's like pressing the nozzle on a spray canister full of infectious organisms."

So I don't leave anything in our bathrooms if I can help it. ( i.e., easy in the 3 of our bathrooms that have a door between the toilet and sink area, but the guest/powder room is one room, and I have a table with some essentials on it. I keep antibacterial wipes in there.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #25
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
If you are still wondering it was a Kindle3 that survived a trip into the toilet.

Also I think that the humidity buildup during a hot shower might be an issue for your electronics. But these ereaders are getting cheaper...
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #26
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
My wife dropped her ereader in the toilet, it still works fine.
As one would expect, unless the porcelain chipped or something.

Oh. Nevermind.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #27
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Actually, why would you want to encourage people to spend a long time in your bathroom? That is exactly what providing reading material does. A two-minute affair may turn into a 10-minute affair because they want to finish the article, whatever.

If you like them then you want them to get back out to spend time with you, if you don't like them then you will want them out of your house/apartment a.s.a.p.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #28
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
And sometimes you just need a ten minute break from them when they yap too much.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #29
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
As a parent to young children, I whole-hearted support reading in the bathroom as it's often the only quality "alone" time I get, pre-bedtime. I am, however, reluctant to encourage guests to "linger" as often the number of restrooms are fewer than the number of urgent users, especially if beer is involved.

If you feel you must provide entertainment, I'd suggest nothing too engrossing. Perhaps an LCD monitor hooked up to a Raspberry Pi, showing an endless loop of "The Far Side", "Calvin and Hobbes", or their Swedish equivalent.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #30
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
In a few years when you can pick up a used 7" tablet for $39.99 I'm fairly sure some will install them for just that purpose. Maybe hook them up to the flusher so it automatically starts a video about cleaning up the floor if you use the WC standing up.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote