Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Kobo Glo: Today's Showstopper on The Shopping Channel (Canada)

http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/Ko...s?nav=R:628426

$129.99 plus $7.97 S&H - including Sleepcover and Free Book Download of Chicken Soup for the Soul (Authors: Jack Canfield & Mark Victor Hansen)

There are no images online of the sleepcover. I haven't seen the broadcast so don't know what they're saying about delivery date for it.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
In time for Christmas, obviously. I think their normal turnaround is a month.

Sleep cover's just a Kobo-branded sleep cover. From the demo, it works.

[and they just hit 1000 sales of the Glo today]
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I ordered one last night after someone mentioned this in another thread here. Here's the shipping scoop.

Their order confirmation email says their shipping times are:

Canada Post 7-10 business days
Purolator Ground 5-7 business days
Purolator Air 3-5 business days

*However*, it then goes on to state:

"If an item number starts with 6, your item will be shipped directly from our supplier and will take 15-17 business days to arrive."

The Kobo Glo's item number does begin with a six, so 2-3 weeks for arrival. I'm really hoping it doesn't take that long! I love my Touch, but DH is getting tired of me staying up to read until 3 a.m. with a bedside light that lights up the whole room. (I tried one of those clip-on lights, but find them too annoying.)

Oh, and with taxes (Ontario) and shipping (ground) it came to $155.90. Taxes were $17.94.

Last edited by Suzanna; 10-19-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: To clarify the reason for the high cost.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
I ordered one last night after someone mentioned this in another thread here. Here's the shipping scoop.

Their order confirmation email says their shipping times are:

Canada Post 7-10 business days
Purolator Ground 5-7 business days
Purolator Air 3-5 business days

*However*, it then goes on to state:

"If an item number starts with 6, your item will be shipped directly from our supplier and will take 15-17 business days to arrive."

The Kobo Glo's item number does begin with a six, so 2-3 weeks for arrival.
3 weeks minimum - only 5 business days in a week - so I was close.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
3 weeks minimum - only 5 business days in a week - so I was close.
And so it is. Reading skills ... need to get me some.
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
People interested in this offer might want to note that Paypal is currently offering $10 cash back on purchases from The Shopping Channel.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Out of curiosity after reading this thread and sort of following Glo and it's reputation, went by local Chapters store to look at it. Have to say I'm actually considering this deal.

Hey Glo people, is it worth it or not? Did the newest firmware 'fix' all your concerns?
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Really, though you have to wait, this is probably a better deal than getting a Glo at the store. The "sleep cover" you get in the deal is either $40 or $50 (couldn't tell if it were the fabric or the leather one), which you're effecively getting for the $7.95 shipping since $129.99, what The Shopping Channel is charging, is the MSRP of the Glo itself.

Now, whether or not you actually WANT a Glo in the first place, that's a different story.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Really, though you have to wait, this is probably a better deal than getting a Glo at the store. The "sleep cover" you get in the deal is either $40 or $50 (couldn't tell if it were the fabric or the leather one), which you're effecively getting for the $7.95 shipping since $129.99, what The Shopping Channel is charging, is the MSRP of the Glo itself.

Now, whether or not you actually WANT a Glo in the first place, that's a different story.
I like the way you put that, sort of clarified my decision!
I'm very, VERY hesitant to get another Kobo product after Kobo Touch and all the problems I had with that. After reading a few more comments about the firmware update, and some of the problems some of the people have, I think I've talked myself out of it. Also, Christmas is around the corner, my budget will thank me. Maybe a good Boxing Day sale and a few more months to get firmware straightened around, we'll see. It's not like I need an ereader, quite happy with my T1/light combo. Probably best for me to leave well enough alone...
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Your call. However 2.1.5 seems pretty darn good. I'm now running it on my Touch.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Suzanna
Living in the past

Heads up all of you who took advantage of this offer ... devices are now shipping! And because I'm in Toronto, I already have mine!!! It came this morning. (I received it *before* I checked email and saw the shipping notification TSC sent at 3 a.m. last night.)

I love my new Glo! And to answer the question about the sleep cover - it's the black leather cover. I really like how the Kobo snaps in. And while it does add bulk to the device, it still seems slim and easy to hold.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
SeigneurAo
Connoisseur
SeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
And while it does add bulk to the device, it still seems slim and easy to hold.
Thickness is definitely not an issue, I do agree with you there.
Problem is with the extra height and width.
SeigneurAo is offline   Reply With Quote