Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2011, 04:06 AM   #1
Priscillux
Priscillux began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
problem with passwords

Hello,

Whenever I type in a password on the PRS-T1's browser to log in to websites, each character appears on the screen for a brief period of time (about a second) before it is replaced by a dot. That happens despite the fact that I have the option "Show Password" unchecked. Is this a security risk, and if so, is there a workaround?

I'd be very grateful for any help/suggestions.
Priscillux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Yes, it's there to allow checking you typed the right thing. And it's not a security risk unless someone is looking at your screen
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillux View Post
Hello,

Whenever I type in a password on the PRS-T1's browser to log in to websites, each character appears on the screen for a brief period of time (about a second) before it is replaced by a dot. That happens despite the fact that I have the option "Show Password" unchecked. Is this a security risk, and if so, is there a workaround?

I'd be very grateful for any help/suggestions.
Not sure if you already know this, but most password sites seem to do this, I don't think it's a "T1" thing. It's probably just that the slow e-ink refresh/delay is making it more noticeable to you.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
If you had 'Show Password' checked, you could see the entire password, not just one letter at a time.

As you have it, it's working the way it's supposed to - so you're not typing completely blind, but the entire password does not show.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
pmcnz
Enthusiast
pmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS-650, Kindle DXG
Hi, this brief display of the letter before obscuring it is a standard behaviour for password entry on Android smartphones and iPads - hence the T1 software is behaving "normally".
I work at testing using many different cellphones and tablets so I've seen this appear as a "new feature" in the later devices.
Paul
pmcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's pretty essential on a touch keyboard - they're just not accurate enough for blind typing. The last thing you want is to type in a password and then not know what it was.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Priscillux

EowynCarter, seajewel, khalleron, pmcnz, HarryT:

Thank you all for replying.

I understand from what you're saying that this is standard behaviour for Android-based devices, so my Sony isn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Yes, it's quite convenient to be able to see each character as you enter it, because the lack of a standard keyboard makes mistakes more likely.

However, isn't there a risk that the password be intercepted if the characters are visible even briefly? Sorry if the question sounds naive to those of you with a better than mine grasp of the technical aspects of password protection and security, but I'm reluctant to put in, say, my email password unless I'm quite reassured it's fully protected from "intruders".

seajewel you're saying that:
Quote:
but most password sites seem to do this, I don't think it's a "T1" thing. It's probably just that the slow e-ink refresh/delay is making it more noticeable to you.
So do you mean that this is what happens normally, only it's not noticeable because the refresh rate on, e.g. a computer screen, would be a lot faster?
Old 11-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Maybe it doesn't happen on a computer, I don't recall at this moment, but it always happens on my iPhone (which I am using right now)
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillux View Post
I understand from what you're saying that this is standard behaviour for Android-based devices, so my Sony isn't doing anything out of the ordinary.
It's standard behaviour on all touch-screen devices. Nothing to do with Android. My iPad, on which I'm typing this, does it too.

Quote:
However, isn't there a risk that the password be intercepted if the characters are visible even briefly? Sorry if the question sounds naive to those of you with a better than mine grasp of the technical aspects of password protection and security, but I'm reluctant to put in, say, my email password unless I'm quite reassured it's fully protected from "intruders".
The software you're typing the password into is going to store it the same way regardless of what appears or doesn't appear on the screen. The only "risk" is of someone looking over your shoulder. And if what you're typing is that confidential, you shouldn't be using e-mail in the first place. E-mail is not a secure communications medium unless you encrypt it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Depending on the password length, I think you'd probably spot someone looking over your shoulder - and this is the T1, so they'd be squinting as well !

Unless you're a high enough security risk to have journalists with high-power cameras following your every move.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
Priscillux

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The software you're typing the password into is going to store it the same way regardless of what appears or doesn't appear on the screen. The only "risk" is of someone looking over your shoulder. And if what you're typing is that confidential, you shouldn't be using e-mail in the first place. E-mail is not a secure communications medium unless you encrypt it.
That's quite reassuring, HarryT, thank you very much (I mean the bit about the software handling the password securely is reassuring, not the bit about e-mail. I guess if we wanted real security we'd have to go back to the olden days of hand-delivered letters -- perhaps pigeon post wasn't such a bad idea after all...).

Quote:
Unless you're a high enough security risk to have journalists with high-power cameras following your every move.......
Not quite yet, carpetmojo, not quite yet