Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #1
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Unhappy Quotation marks overhanging?

I recently purchased a Kobo eReader Touch and in many respects am enjoying it However, there is one recurring irritation - a large number of overhanging quotation marks - that is to say, closing quotation marks relating to dialogue in one line appearing orphaned at the beginning of the next, otherwise empty line - i.e.:

He looked gleeful and murmured: "I told you so!
"

Is this simply a poorly formatted ebook ('A Clash of Kings' by George RR Martin) or it related in any way to the eReader software? Has anyone else encountered the issue? I have the font and line spacings on the default settings, by the way. Any input gratefully received
(Supplementary question - what is the mysterious 'Kobo styling' referred to in the font/ line dialogue settings page?)
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Not just your book; it's true for all kepubs and not just for the KT. Affects my WiFi as well.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
I'd guess poorly formatted book. I think many publishers simply run the manuscript through some cheap software and then sell it.

I have a book from a major publisher where everytime there should be "..." it appears as ".?.?.?" in the text. Very annoying since the writer loves to use "..." in conversations.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Not just your book; it's true for all kepubs and not just for the KT. Affects my WiFi as well.
'Kepubs'? Not sure I've heard that term before
Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronpaterson View Post
'Kepubs'? Not sure I've heard that term before
It's Kobo's custom epub format (which includes more things than just their own DRM, since they've had to do special coding to do simple things with regular or Adobe DRM'd epubs like dictionary lookups).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_a_smith View Post
I'd guess poorly formatted book. I think many publishers simply run the manuscript through some cheap software and then sell it.

I have a book from a major publisher where everytime there should be "..." it appears as ".?.?.?" in the text. Very annoying since the writer loves to use "..." in conversations.
So you haven't encountered the overhanging quotation glitch yourself then? Other people are saying it's common problem
Old 08-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
It's Kobo's custom epub format (which includes more things than just their own DRM, since they've had to do special coding to do simple things with regular or Adobe DRM'd epubs like dictionary lookups).
Thanks for the clarification - and to everyone else for the info too I take it then, that if this is effectively a bug in the Kobo software, changing the font or line spacing won't fix the issue?
And what is the Kobo style option a reference to?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
So you haven't encountered the overhanging quotation glitch yourself then? Other people are saying it's common problem
Yes, I have seen it on occasion. Unfortunately strange formatting things in ebooks are all too common.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I saw that glitch today, too. Really looks bush-league.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Thanks for the info all. I keep coming across this particular glitch as I continue the book but don't let it bother me anymore, as strange as it looks. I am reluctant to mess with the default font settings, even though I suppose that might fix the issue (might). Even if this is fundamentally a poorly formatted book, I can't help but feel that an improvement in the eReader Touch's text layout systems would go a long way towards fixing such glitches. Here's to the next update!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
(Supplementary question - what is the mysterious 'Kobo styling' referred to in the font/ line dialogue settings page?)
I'd love to know the answer to this one, too.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
According to a Kobo rep the Kobo styling feature is 'vestigial' and will be removed in a future firmware release.

The only difference I have noticed is that with Kobo Styling OFF hyperlinks are shown in a light gray font.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Thanks, Joe563.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #14
RealityMonster
RealityMonster began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Sony-PRS500
Almost all of the formatting errors that I've had with my Kobo go away if I read them on my Sony. Overhanging quotation marks, bad justification, mis-aligned graphics, etc.

I'm talking about ePubs that I bought from Kobo and read on a Sony PRS-500. There appear to be fundamental gaps in the way that Kobo renders the ePub files that aren't restricted to the hardware (the desktop reader renders the files the same, incorrect way).

I'm hoping a future update to the software will fix this. Until then, I guess we just deal with it or read on other hardware. :/
RealityMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:16 AM   #15
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityMonster View Post
Almost all of the formatting errors that I've had with my Kobo go away if I read them on my Sony. Overhanging quotation marks, bad justification, mis-aligned graphics, etc.

I'm talking about ePubs that I bought from Kobo and read on a Sony PRS-500. There appear to be fundamental gaps in the way that Kobo renders the ePub files that aren't restricted to the hardware (the desktop reader renders the files the same, incorrect way).

I'm hoping a future update to the software will fix this. Until then, I guess we just deal with it or read on other hardware. :/
Ah... that actually doesn't surprise me. I had suspected these formatting errors had more to do with the Kobo than other posters were admitting Let's hope Kobo is listening! Roll on the next software update - perhaps version 1 will sort it all out. Let's hope so!

Tags
ereader touch formatting