Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #1156
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
When launched via CC, the file is being moved to the Mantano/books folder (which doesn't happen when doing an import from within Mantano). It tries to do this each time you try to launch the book thereafter (and fails because the file is no longer where CC thinks it is). When you use Mantano to delete the ebook file, it deletes the file from that new location. Run CC's "Find books with missing files" search AFTER you try to launch the ebook but BEFORE you delete it from within Mantano. You'll find the file is already "missing." A file browser will allow you to find it in the Mantano/books folder and return it to where CC expects it. You'll still need to delete its entry from Mantano's library to get back to where you started.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-16-2013 at 10:14 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #1157
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Yikes, you are right. Did that just start with Mantano 2.4.5?

I don't like that behavior at all. I might have to move to Moon+ or something else. Because I am having other problems with Mantano as well. It's too bad, because I paid for the premium version of Mantano.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #1158
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That seems to be the gist of the problem, actually. When trying to launch an epub externally, Mantano moves (or "downloads") the file to its own 'books' folder and imports it to its library from that location.

When importing an epub internally (using Mantano's normal import feature), it imports it into its library while leaving the physical file in whatever location it was found in.

I don't use Mantano/CC in that manner, so it isn't a deal-breaker of any kind for me, but I can certainly see how it might be a deal-breaker for others.

Still, I would recommend sticking with version 2.4.0 for while before deciding to abandon it completely. It may well be something that gets fixed in a future version. I understand you're already having other issues with Mantano, though, so you gotta do what you gotta do. But I can't help but think your other issues (forced closes, menus not appearing, and missing covers) would be resolved with a fresh, clean slate, "all residual Mantano files deleted" install, though. I've never had those kinds of issues with any version I've had. The only time I've ever had Mantano close on me was with a problem epub.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-16-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #1159
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DiapDealer, thanks for the explanation. It probably is a deal breaker for me.

To avoid that issue, I would go back to an earlier version of Mantano, but the cover problem has been going on for quite a few versions now -- for at least a month. I've written them a few times, and they claim they can't replicate the problem, though they did acknowledge the problem in the initial reply I got from them. So I need to follow up with them on that further because their mixed replies are a little confusing.

So far, I've only had the cover issue with epubs whose covers are very large -- over 2100 pixels on the long side. Can anyone with Mantano test this out on their side for me? Embed a cover in an epub that is at least 2400 pixels on the long side. Make sure the cover is actually embedded and not just assigned with Calibre. You can use "polish" or the "modify epub" plugin to embed the cover. Then import the epub into Mantano. Does the cover show up?

As for the forced closes and menus not appearing, that problem is just with the latest 2.4.5 version. I will reinstall Mantano from scratch later today to test and see if it fixes that.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 11-16-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #1160
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'll see what I can do. I know I don't currently have any cover images of that size in my library, but I should be able to easily put something together.

By the way, I did send an email to Mantano describing the undesired behavior as best I could (how can they fix if they don't know, right?). I refuse to believe that physically relocating the ebook file (during an external launch) was/is intended behavior. It certainly doesn't make any sense to me if IS by conscious design.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-16-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #1161
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
So far, I've only had the cover issue with epubs whose covers are very large -- over 2100 pixels on the long side. Can anyone with Mantano test this out on their side for me? Embed a cover in an epub that is at least 2400 pixels on the long side. Make sure the cover is actually embedded and not just assigned with Calibre. You can use "polish" or the "modify epub" plugin to embed the cover. Then import the epub into Mantano. Does the cover show up?
Thumbnail shows up and ebook opens to the cover image as expected with an image I embedded that was 2100+ pixels on the long side.

However, when stepping up to an image that was 2400 px on the long side, the image was no longer visible when opening the book (even though the thumbnail was).

So there does seem to be some sort of limitation there (but I never would have run into it on my own ).
Old 11-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #1162
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
By the way, I did send an email to Mantano describing the undesired behavior as best I could (how can they fix if they don't know, right?).
Thanks for this
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #1163
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Looks like v2.4.6 fixes the problem of moving the ebook file when launching externally, but there's still the annoying prompt asking you if want to open the ebook or go to the library when you launch from Calibre Companion. But it does work.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-16-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #1164
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm impressed DD! One email from you on a Saturday night and 95% of my ebook problems have gone away. I think the Kobo part of this forum may like to hire you as their 'enforcer' to deal with the Kobo developers
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #1165
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Just gotta crack that whip!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #1166
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Thumbnail shows up and ebook opens to the cover image as expected with an image I embedded that was 2100+ pixels on the long side.

However, when stepping up to an image that was 2400 px on the long side, the image was no longer visible when opening the book (even though the thumbnail was).

So there does seem to be some sort of limitation there (but I never would have run into it on my own ).
DiapDealer, thanks for testing this out for me. It not only confirmed the issue, but saved me from having to chase down another route for the source of the problem, especially since Mantano said they couldn't replicate the problem. I think they've just been too busy to properly address all customer issues, and so in some instances such as mine, they merely ignored them. I am not happy with this. I wrote them again tonight to tell them that someone else confirmed the issue. Hopefully they will be more responsive this time.

Also, thanks for letting them know about the issue of the deletion of books. That was a deal breaker for me. Now if they can only fix the cover issue, I'll be a happy camper. I'd like to stay with Mantano but they are making it hard.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 11-17-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #1167
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
DiapDealer, thanks for testing this out for me.
Not a problem.

I heard back from someone at Mantano about the 2.4.5 issue (basically just telling me about the fix in 2.4.6) who told me that they've created a beta-test community to try and ensure that that sort of regression doesn't happen again.

That's the first contact I ever had with them, so I don't know if that's a very recent development, or if it's been in the works (or in action) for a while now.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:57 AM   #1168
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Not a problem.

I heard back from someone at Mantano about the 2.4.5 issue (basically just telling me about the fix in 2.4.6) who told me that they've created a beta-test community to try and ensure that that sort of regression doesn't happen again.

That's the first contact I ever had with them, so I don't know if that's a very recent development, or if it's been in the works (or in action) for a while now.
Yep, they have a beta-test comunity on Google+, I got asked to join it a couple of weeks back after emailing them with numerous errors I had. It's not a big community at present but they are very rapid with responding to any issues on it.

One thing of interest you may like is that they are working on an epub3 reader (currently at pre-alpha stage) that we may soon be able to test.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #1169
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Yep, they have a beta-test comunity on Google+, I got asked to join it a couple of weeks back after emailing them with numerous errors I had. It's not a big community at present but they are very rapid with responding to any issues on it.

One thing of interest you may like is that they are working on an epub3 reader (currently at pre-alpha stage) that we may soon be able to test.
Tell them to add Time Left to Read like Moon+ has and better font re sizes. Oh and custom font italics and bold. Other than that Mantano is perfect when it works right.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #1170
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Tell them to add Time Left to Read like Moon+ has and better font re sizes. Oh and custom font italics and bold. Other than that Mantano is perfect when it works right.
I'll let them know, hopefully I'll get some response on this quickly.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote